U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:34 PM

20,193 posts, read 34,545,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
EXCELLENT POST!!! That's why the only Hillary voters in KC metro are most likely to be living in the city, the wealthy urban, liberal elitist. If liberals are thinking of moving to KC, they won't be happy here, they best look elsewhere..maybe Baltimore, Detroit, San Fran, NE or out of the country.
I hate to break it to you, but that does not really depict reality. I guess the election will state what the facts are in the end. The media categorization of "red states/blue states" have only further divided the country and pigeonholed people into groups. The reality of the matter is there are far more "purple states." We just don't have high quality candidates running for president and it seems like it gets worse every election cycle. I'm dreading the 2020 election cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 09:56 PM

290 posts, read 230,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The KC metro area is on our short list of possible retirement relocations in the next few years.

However, if this woman is indicative of the mindset of the populace, we will have to cross KC off our list.

So, does she represent the mindset of the average person living in the KC metro, or not?

Please give us an honest opinion.

Thanks.
This woman doesn't represent the views of the metro at all. At least no one I interact with on a daily basis. Moreover, people like her are found in every state and especially the diverse state of California that has been blue for years. Kansas may have its moments, but it's more stereotypes than reality specifically in places like Johnson County, a suburb of KCMO.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:18 PM

35,827 posts, read 39,461,204 times
Quote:
EXCELLENT POST!!! That's why the only Hillary voters in KC metro are most likely to be living in the city, the wealthy urban, liberal elitist. If liberals are thinking of moving to KC, they won't be happy here, they best look elsewhere..maybe Baltimore, Detroit, San Fran, NE or out of the country.
Er, I live in the KC metro and generally lean liberal, as does my husband and his entire extended family, and we all live in NE JoCo. My husband's family has been in the metro for four generations, and we LOVE it here. I don't think it's remotely accurate to state that "liberals wouldn't be happy here." I'm very happy here and always have been.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:26 AM

376 posts, read 430,705 times
Couldn't agree more. I moved to KC (Waldo) with my family from Seattle and before that, from Los Angeles, and I'm a lifelong liberal and Democrat. I've found urban KC at least (which is where I've lived since moving here) to be liberal-minded, open-minded and tolerant. I haven't found myself confronted with anyone espousing this woman's crackpot views, either, though they do exist everywhere, unfortunately. And despite the Faux News/Rush Limbaugh "wealthy elitist liberal" labels, the liberal community I've interacted with in the city as an activist and campaigner and socially has been diverse: white collar, blue collar, middle-class, and of every color and religion in the rainbow.

Don't cross KC off your retirement list. It's a great, vibrant town. Trump voters just can't accept that the country looks less and less like them every day and is rejecting their ideas. Don't let them poison your views. Visit KC and you'll see.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:34 AM

35,827 posts, read 39,461,204 times
^^ Same experience, and I've lived on the Plaza, in Waldo, and in suburbs on either side of the state line.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:58 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,294,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
Totally she does. Everyone here is just like this. My wife and I are so disturbed we decided to move to somewhere were people are normal and liberal and smart, like New York City. No one from there would EVER defend Trump or his ideas...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yes, for real, this person is indicative of every person in the metro, it's a hotbed of lunatic extremist buffonery.

Except, no.

Come on. Use critical thinking skills.
I never said she was indicative of every person in the KC metro area.

I asked if her attitude and viewpoint is shared by the average person in the KC metro.

I'm not familiar with your area so I'm trying to get a feel for your prevailing political climate (i.e.- Do you guys lean left or right? Or is it more middle of the road? If that is even still possible these days).

Old 10-12-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't think so at all. The vast majority of people in KCMO would not have this mindset, especially in KCMO and the inner suburbs (including the KS side). That's my point.
Quote:
Yes, I think she represents the average working person in the KC Metro. I would consider looking at places like San Francisco, Vermont or Venezuela to retire to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I don't think so, however she would fit in better in many areas of the South. I did immediately notice the southern accent, though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
This woman doesn't represent the views of the metro at all. At least no one I interact with on a daily basis. Moreover, people like her are found in every state and especially the diverse state of California that has been blue for years. Kansas may have its moments, but it's more stereotypes than reality specifically in places like Johnson County, a suburb of KCMO.
Thank you posters for giving me your honest opinions without being snarky or condescending.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
Couldn't agree more. I moved to KC (Waldo) with my family from Seattle and before that, from Los Angeles, and I'm a lifelong liberal and Democrat. I've found urban KC at least (which is where I've lived since moving here) to be liberal-minded, open-minded and tolerant. I haven't found myself confronted with anyone espousing this woman's crackpot views, either, though they do exist everywhere, unfortunately. And despite the Faux News/Rush Limbaugh "wealthy elitist liberal" labels, the liberal community I've interacted with in the city as an activist and campaigner and socially has been diverse: white collar, blue collar, middle-class, and of every color and religion in the rainbow.

Don't cross KC off your retirement list. It's a great, vibrant town. Trump voters just can't accept that the country looks less and less like them every day and is rejecting their ideas. Don't let them poison your views. Visit KC and you'll see.
Thank you for your honest and encouraging post.

My wife and I will have to follow your advice and go see it for ourselves.

Hopefully, when we visit KC, we will meet people like you.

You sound exactly like the type of person we would hope to have as a neighbor wherever we wind up moving.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,399,435 times
I lived in the KC metro area for 15 years. Pro baseball and football!
Its a very livable city, lovely. Great people. Easy place to live.

Guessing she is from rural area in KS do to the position she holds. She would have to go to KC to a studio for hook up with CNN.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:53 PM

519 posts, read 469,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Thank you for your honest and encouraging post.

My wife and I will have to follow your advice and go see it for ourselves.

Hopefully, when we visit KC, we will meet people like you.

You sound exactly like the type of person we would hope to have as a neighbor wherever we wind up moving.
I wouldn't let people steer you wrong. KC for wealthy liberal democrats will work for you, otherwise, unless you are wealthy and white, the suburbs are only for working Republican middle class people. Baltimore or Ferguson Missouri would be a better fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or