U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:16 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times

Advertisements

^^^ But then you are just taking over an area and revitalizing it to attract people with more money. The people who lived there can no longer afford to live there and are pushed out. You're not getting rid of the problem, you're just displacing it. They have to go somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 11:28 AM

290 posts, read 230,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
^^^ But then you are just taking over an area and revitalizing it to attract people with more money. The people who lived there can no longer afford to live there and are pushed out. You're not getting rid of the problem, you're just displacing it. They have to go somewhere.
It's a tricky situation. I do know we can't continue to let part of the urban core languish just because it might displace people.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:24 PM

205 posts, read 182,344 times
There are no instances of where an urban core has gone downhill where the suburbs did not suffer as well. That is kind of like saying that I am not going to worry about why my basement is starting to get really moldy and smelly, I will just spend more time upstairs to get away from it. Eventually the foundation will collapse and the whole house (metro ) is ruined. I wonder how many people want to move the suburbs of Detroit, Buffalo or Cleveland ? Better examples are Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Portland where entire metro areas have become more desirable, not because the inner city was abandoned, but the opposite, because it was revitalized.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:13 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
^ exactly.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
The whites moving back into cities (DC, Baltimore) for the most part are your wealthy, liberal/progressive elitist, not your working, conservative, middle class people.
Not really. It's a much more diverse demographic than that.

I'm not really even sure what your point is. My point is that people (and not just white people) and companies are moving back into what were decaying urban neighborhoods/industrial areas, in huge numbers in many cities.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:04 PM

519 posts, read 468,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
And what's wrong with that?

Old 10-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Not really. It's a much more diverse demographic than that.

I'm not really even sure what your point is. My point is that people (and not just white people) and companies are moving back into what were decaying urban neighborhoods/industrial areas, in huge numbers in many cities.
The point is that it's a lopsided group of people moving into urban areas. Traditional/nuclear families, middle class income, conservative working parents with children are not moving back into urban areas.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
The point is that it's a lopsided group of people moving into urban areas. Traditional/nuclear families, middle class income, conservative working parents with children are not moving back into urban areas.
You could say the same thing about who moves to single family developments in the suburbs.

What's your point?

Old 10-18-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You could say the same thing about who moves to single family developments in the suburbs.

What's your point?
Baltimore is not the city to hold up to KC as a place it should strive to become.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Baltimore is not the city to hold up to KC as a place it should strive to become.
You are not making sense and you likely know nothing about Baltimore other than what you see on CNN.

Baltimore has a freaking ton of office, hotel, and residential construction going up in the downtown area and other areas along the harbor and many vibrant neighborhoods. Baltimore has many times the downtown development in the works compared to KC. Another company just announced today they were moving downtown.

Yes, Baltimore has crime and ghetto problems in parts of the city. But KC has no room to talk when it comes to that.

So again, what is your point? You didn't answer me. Families generally move to single family homes in the burbs, while it's extremely popular to move into cities for young people, empty nesters etc. Why is this a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or