U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 11:35 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times

Advertisements

I have been to the Plaza twice in the last month, both times for birthday dinners. The first was about three weeks ago. At that time there was something going on at 47th and Broadway as we were leaving Cooper's Hawk. Multiple police officers were responding to some kind of disturbance and were coming from several directions, chasing on foot and shouting. I never knew what that was about.

Tonight we arrived at the Plaza about 8 o'clock. We had planned to go earlier and walk around before our dinner reservation, but ran out of time so we weren't as early as we'd planned and weren't walking around. But it would have been a perfect evening for that; it was about 75 degrees. Apparently just minutes before we arrived, there was a double shooting on 47th Street. We usually travel north on Broadway and turn right on 47th, but we saw police lights so turned at the stop light before that. Once we got parked, we were told two people had been shot. We saw two ambulances. There was crime scene tape blocking off 47th and Broadway and going down the block to the west. 47th was closed and police were searching the street.

My husband asked someone who was there at the time of the shooting if it sounded like "p-ting, p-ting, p-ting" or "BOOM, BOOM, BOOM" and the person said "BOOM, BOOM, BOOM."

I checked my phone for news of the shooting as soon as were seated for dinner, but at that time there was NOTHING on the internet about it. Now there is. Apparently the shooter was not apprehended.

A month ago six people were shot in Westport in one night.

Some of you in the past have ridiculed people who have brought up crime on the Plaza and Westport and in between. Some have said the trouble on the Plaza is just punk kids. Sorry, but when two people are shot in the heart of the Plaza on a busy Saturday night, that's a problem.

I'm not a fan of Alonzo Washington, but I see he tweeted tonight: "Rumors of shootings on the Country Club Plaza has been floating around on Black social media for weeks. I warned of this!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 12:32 PM

15,294 posts, read 7,146,445 times
They better get a handle on it if they want it to survive. People aren't going to put up with it and are going to spend their time and money elsewhere. Pretty simple.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:00 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Seems like crime in all of metro KC (including suburbs) has been pretty crazy the last few months. Not sure what's going on there.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:23 PM

15,294 posts, read 7,146,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Seems like crime in all of metro KC (including suburbs) has been pretty crazy the last few months. Not sure what's going on there.
I remember '05 being a bad year. Seems to go up and down.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:54 PM

48,891 posts, read 39,370,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
True. They had that rape of the officer in Olathe recently.

They have issues down around oak park mall too from time to time.

In reality, the Plaza had a stretch there where they were starting to have more incidents but have increased policing and curfew rules to adjust.

I think that with the steps the plaza has taken i personally don't feel any more concerned than most parts oft he metro.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:55 PM

48,891 posts, read 39,370,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I remember '05 being a bad year. Seems to go up and down.
Generally fluctuates with gang instabiity.

All it takes is one guy to shoot another and then boom....retaliation sets in.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:08 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
True. They had that rape of the officer in Olathe recently.
Rape, sodomy and kidnapping and crossing state line so I'm sure there will be federal charges. Makes me wonder what a kid from Blue Springs and a kid from Independence were doing in Olathe at midnight on a Friday night. Just driving around and they happened to see her and follow her and kidnap her? Blue Sorings and Independence are both pretty far from Olathe.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:58 PM

135 posts, read 81,429 times
It looks like based on news articles so far they have no suspects or even a description of the shooter...it's a pretty busy area right? How is that possible?

Old 10-16-2016, 08:40 PM

290 posts, read 229,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
It looks like based on news articles so far they have no suspects or even a description of the shooter...it's a pretty busy area right? How is that possible?
I'm not sure what to say on that. The Plaza has been plagued with urban youth issues for quite some time, so it wouldn't surprise me that this was another incident involving that segment of the population. Frankly, when the Plaza becomes a hangout for younger people that aren't shopping, dinning, or doing much of anything else down there, I'm not sure what the city can do, but enforce a stricter curfew.

On the incident. I live two blocks from the scene of the crime to say the least. I did see the KCPD patrolling the nearby area looking for those that were involved (likely had some suspect in mind that hasn't been disclosed or an incomplete description that won't be released to the public). Hopefully nothing else happens, but it's my neighborhood, it's my city, and I won't let some morons ruin it for me. Sly James and Forte know that this can't continue to happen if they want this city to continue to prosper.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:04 PM

9,082 posts, read 3,697,658 times
waiting for them to toss up some gates, make it like P&L, pay to get in

sometimes with how jumpy people are, I wonder if a car misfired, would someone start randomly shooting into a crowd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or