U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:29 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
^^^^^^^I'm kind of puzzled at your ideas about all things "country." Nascar/hunting/love my guns/hate the government/redneck are not all synonymous. There are lots of people who embrace some of those things but not others. I think it's just silly to paint a whole group of people with such a broad stereotypical brush when it's just not true. There are people from all walks of life at Nascar races. I ran into Carl Peterson at Kansas Speedway one time! The crowd consists of anything from rednecks to Johnson County professional people to celebrities. Yep, it's true. Yet your whole post is about trying to put down people who like Nascar by calling them "country." It might be those "country" people with guns saving your city a$$ one of these days if all hell breaks loose, because people like you will not be prepared to save themselves if it comes down to it. So you might want to not be putting them down so much.

And like I said, Nascar does not equal hunting does not equal love my guns does not equal hate the government does not equal redneck. I tolerate Nascar (if I go to a race, it's more because I enjoy spending time at an outside venue in nice weather than because I want to watch the race. I'm usually counting the laps till it's over.), I hate hunting but I believe people should have a right to own guns, I don't like the American Royal, I don't hate the government but I think it's overreaching, and I am not a redneck. So there goes your stereotype.

I love that the soccer stadium is in KCK and I love that it bothers you so much.
If 80,000 go to an event, you are correct, they will not all be your stereotypical NASCAR fan. It may not even be over 50%. But the stereotypes I mentioned are a huge part of the fan base and culture of NASCAR. You stop kidding yourself saying otherwise. I enjoyed going to races and I'm not redneck. I wouldn't pay for a ticket, but It's a fun thing to do. I know lots of NASAR fans that are not redneck too. Most are pretty blue collar, but I wouldn't call them redneck. NASAR fans in general are more blue collar, more country (or at least suburban), more conservative, more religious, more patriotic etc than other sports. It is what it is.

The whole Village West area does cater to the same kind of people that like NASCAR. There is an overlap there. That's why the area is so appealing to that demographic. Again, it is what it is, no matter how much you deny it. The AR is a perfect fit for Village West.

BTW, I have nothing against the right to carry guns etc. I honestly don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. It's not really even a topic that interest me, but I would say most people that go to NASCAR races on a regular basis are very opinionated about gun rights .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 10:20 AM

705 posts, read 823,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
If 80,000 go to an event, you are correct, they will not all be your stereotypical NASCAR fan. It may not even be over 50%. But the stereotypes I mentioned are a huge part of the fan base and culture of NASCAR. You stop kidding yourself saying otherwise. I enjoyed going to races and I'm not redneck. I wouldn't pay for a ticket, but It's a fun thing to do. I know lots of NASAR fans that are not redneck too. Most are pretty blue collar, but I wouldn't call them redneck. NASAR fans in general are more blue collar, more country (or at least suburban), more conservative, more religious, more patriotic etc than other sports. It is what it is.

The whole Village West area does cater to the same kind of people that like NASCAR. There is an overlap there. That's why the area is so appealing to that demographic. Again, it is what it is, no matter how much you deny it. The AR is a perfect fit for Village West.

BTW, I have nothing against the right to carry guns etc. I honestly don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. It's not really even a topic that interest me, but I would say most people that go to NASCAR races on a regular basis are very opinionated about gun rights .
In all actuality, Villsge West is just a well executed outlet mall. You find plenty of successful centers like it all over the country that aren't near outdoor stores or NASCAR tracks. The white trash that gets stereotyped as the NASCAR fan base aren't really the type to want to pay to shop at Saks Off 5th or spend money on places like T Rex Cafe or Dave and Busters frequently enough to keep them open. Best Buy is the only big failure up there and it was a small and poorly located store.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:03 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
I know what village west outlets are. I didn't say everybody that goes out there is a redneck. That's obviously not the case.

There is a concentration of attractions and shopping out there that does attract a more blue collar and often redneck demographic, plus the area itself just has a country feel to me personally and its just not my thing at all.

If you and others think otherwise, I'm fine with that. Doesn't matter to me. I personally don't care for the area though and find it to be too rural feeling and country with too much chain retail (not of which interest me except NFM) and parking lots on an island in the middle of what seems to be a constant and annoying 20 mph wind every time I have been out there

Old 10-31-2016, 06:18 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,705,399 times
This is just a Jeff Foxworthy skit waiting to happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or