U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 8,126 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting next week for a few job interviews for a few days. I plan on checking out the areas and am not sure what the best areas are either in Missouri or on the Kansas side. I looked at the Kansas City crime map and it looks pretty depressing all over. However it didn't show any data in Kansas. I will be looking to purchase a house where can one get a decent house in a good area for $150,000-175,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 03:06 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
Depending on how "good " an area you're looking for, that may be shooting a bit low, pricewise.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:18 PM

677 posts, read 1,147,214 times
Do you know where your job would be?

You should have options in that price range.

What are you looking for in a house and location? (size, style of housing, neighborhood features, etc)

How about some info on yourself? (age, interests, any kids)?

Old 10-20-2016, 03:34 PM

Is it low. I am interviewing for a few jobs downtown. I don't mind a 30-40 minute drive to work. I'm a 30 year old male, single, no children, 2 dogs. I would like a house at least 3 bedrooms. At least 1500 square feet. With a decent size yard for my dogs.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:06 PM

677 posts, read 1,147,214 times
Well, since you are 30 and single and looking at jobs Downtown, I would normally suggest that you live somewhere in or near the urban core of the city. Places like Volker/West Plaza, Waldo, and Prairie Village will have some houses in your price range, however, they will probably either be under 1,500 sq ft or they would need some work/updating at that price point. Also, some of those spots won't have the biggest yards.

If you really need a big house and big yard at that price point, your best bet would probably be somewhere north of the river. You will get more house for your money up there, and you should still be able to have a short commute to Downtown. However, you are not going to have as many young single people in the area and you won't have nearly as many options for nightlife/entertainment/dining, etc.

From my experience, younger single people who relocate to KC and end up living in a further out suburban area tend to have a bad time. They seem to struggle making friends or having a social life. If you are more of a homebody, and your top priority is having a larger home and yard, then the Northland might be your best bet. But, if you are more interested in an active social life and could compromise on the size of the home, then I would suggest the areas I previously mentioned closer to the urban core.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the reply I will look into those areas when I visit. I am not concerned about homes that need renovations, I renovated my current home.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:20 PM

519 posts, read 468,806 times
Hi, where to lives in the KC metro depends on you. Are you urban or suburban? Urban , lots' of choices in the city. Suburban, Missouri side, Lee's Summit or North of the river. Kansas, Johnson county. If single, liberal, urban, you will love the city. If family oriented, North of river KC MO or suburbs north would be great. Jackson County MO, Lee's Summit. KS side-Johnson County.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:26 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,148,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarman02 View Post
Is it low. I am interviewing for a few jobs downtown. I don't mind a 30-40 minute drive to work. I'm a 30 year old male, single, no children, 2 dogs. I would like a house at least 3 bedrooms. At least 1500 square feet. With a decent size yard for my dogs.
In KCMO I would would suggest you look at the inner Northland (Davidson, Crestview), southern Waldo, Western Hills, Sante Fe Hills, Red Bridge.

Independence, MO probably has a pretty broad swath to fit your needs. Maybe Raytown, too.

I don't think you'll find much in that price range in JoCo, though perhaps some in the extreme northern edge of the county.

KCK also has a range of option that might fit in Turner, and west of 635 generally.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:16 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,516,721 times
If you are working downtown, I would concentrate on the Northland. You will have no problem finding something in a decent area in that price range in Northland which includes Gladstone, Liberty and the portion of the city of KCMO that is north of the river.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:03 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post

I don't think you'll find much in that price range in JoCo, though perhaps some in the extreme northern edge of the county.
Eh, we're in NE Johnson County, and in the past year, sold a house and bought a house in the same neighborhood, same size/dimensions the OP is envisioning, and that price point is a tad too low for the area, right now, unless it's something needing extensive work. Also, while we lucked out with a large yard in each case, that's not necessarily standard in NE Joco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or