U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 PM

3,658 posts, read 1,768,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
What I meant about the Trump comment, is that the KC MO residents voters (Jackson County ones, not the northland) will vote NO on a new terminal just like they voted NO for Trump. Jackson County KCMO residents vote as a block, herd mentality. So, one day in 2018 or beyond KC MO residents will vote for a new terminal, most likely they will vote no, so then a few more years passed that vote, KC will have to decide on how to get around voters to build a new terminal, by then cost will have gone up, etc so it might not be until say 2030 before a new terminal is ever built. So first heard about the need for a new terminal in 2009, say a new terminal finally doesn't open until late 2020's, that will be 20 years of KC having lost time on the benefits of a new terminal. Typical of KC.
(emphasis added)

That's a breathtaking overstatement, not to mention false on its face.

A "bloc vote" would mean every last voter voted the same way. A lopsided majority is still not a "vote as a bloc" - and I'll stake my reputation on there being a sizable number of residents of the Jackson County portion of the city who would vote for the bond issue.

And that the number will increase as the proponents point out that the reconstruction will occur at no cost to the taxpayer.

I think that the likening of the streetcar taxing district extension to Jim Crow was highly irresponsible on the part of Freedom Inc. et al., but I could also see where the proposed extension would have delivered less benefit to the East Side (and let's get real here, that's what you're talking about with your "Jackson County city residents vote as a bloc" statement) than a line down Prospect would, and even though Prospect MAX is supposedly a go, the proponents may not have done a good job of explaining that the streetcar did not preclude the BRT.

Again, City Hall wants to move this by year's end. The November general is far enough away for an educational campaign to have an effect. And since this isn't the only place I've heard noises that should a ballot question fail anyway, a move could be made to transfer the airport to PortKC or the KCATA, I'd say the issue will probably be settled to City Hall's and the airlines' satisfaction by next year, soon enough that the cost estimates should remain valid.

Now, I will admit that I don't know how the issue has played out between 2009 and now. Was there a ballot question on the issue already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 04:59 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
What I meant about the Trump comment, is that the KC MO residents voters (Jackson County ones, not the northland) will vote NO on a new terminal just like they voted NO for Trump. Jackson County KCMO residents vote as a block, herd mentality. So, one day in 2018 or beyond KC MO residents will vote for a new terminal, most likely they will vote no, so then a few more years passed that vote, KC will have to decide on how to get around voters to build a new terminal, by then cost will have gone up, etc so it might not be until say 2030 before a new terminal is ever built. So first heard about the need for a new terminal in 2009, say a new terminal finally doesn't open until late 2020's, that will be 20 years of KC having lost time on the benefits of a new terminal. Typical of KC.
You don't make any sense. Jackson County didn't vote for Trump because it's a democratic county. If anything, you could say that people that voted for Trump are MORE likely to vote "no" for a new KCI terminal because Trump voters are conservative, which means they tend to vote down large infrastructure projects. Trump is a disgrace to this country. Please, stop bringing him up in threads that had nothing to do with him.

If a new terminal happens in KCMO, it won't be because of the conservative side of politics, trust me.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Trump is a disgrace to this country. Please, stop bringing him up in threads that had nothing to do with him.

NO ONE has brought up Trump in threads that have nothing to do with him more than you. How many times have I seen you goad someone, saying things like "What, are you a Trump supporter?" and making other random comments about Trump and Trump supporters? So for you to tell someone not to bring up Trump - that's rich.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-21-2017 at 02:12 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 PM

112 posts, read 61,893 times
Have you guys read the Yelp reviews of KCI? Go take a look. VERY negative. Then read those of Indianapolis. The opposite. Our airport is an embarrassment. Ugh.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/indianapoli...d-indianapolis

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kansas-city...-kansas-city-5

Old 03-21-2017, 05:33 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastoChicagotoKC View Post
Have you guys read the Yelp reviews of KCI? Go take a look. VERY negative. Then read those of Indianapolis. The opposite. Our airport is an embarrassment. Ugh.

Sprint reviews are actually more negative than KCI Airport reviews believe it or not.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:54 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastoChicagotoKC View Post

You can cherry pick and find negative reviews of KCI. You can also find reviews that say KCI is one of the best airports, written by people who don't live here. You can pretty much find whatever you are hoping to find if you look in the right place. I actually see a lot of positive reviews for KCI in that Yelp link you posted.

Here is one, written by someone from Virginia:

"Flew in to MCI on business for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised with this airport. It has a small appearance, but really it's rather large based on the fact that the terminals are broken out into large semi-circles. I flew on United so my experience is limited to the C Terminal.

I really like the simplicity of this airport. The gates are small but they take up the outer ring of the terminal while the main concourse is on the inner ring. Getting off the plane I was shocked at how quickly I passed the security exit and got to baggage claim. It was literally 25 feet to security and a couple hundred more to get my baggage.

The terminal is lined with various shops and restaurants that offer standard travel needs and food/drinks.

My business will be bringing me back a few more times and I look forward to using this airport in the future."

Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 PM

519 posts, read 467,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
NO ONE has brought up Trump in threads that have nothing to do with him more than you. How many times have I seen you goad someone, saying things like "What, are you a Trump supporter?" and making other random comments about Trump and Trump supporters? So for you to tell someone not to bring up Trump - that's rich.
I feel like I need to go find a "safe place". I'll wear a safety pin next time I write.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 PM

519 posts, read 467,990 times
Quote:
I think Luzianne is right . : )

Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 PM

3,658 posts, read 1,768,811 times
Quote:
You can cherry pick and find negative reviews of KCI. You can also find reviews that say KCI is one of the best airports, written by people who don't live here. You can pretty much find whatever you are hoping to find if you look in the right place. I actually see a lot of positive reviews for KCI in that Yelp link you posted.

Here is one, written by someone from Virginia:

"Flew in to MCI on business for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised with this airport. It has a small appearance, but really it's rather large based on the fact that the terminals are broken out into large semi-circles. I flew on United so my experience is limited to the C Terminal.

I really like the simplicity of this airport. The gates are small but they take up the outer ring of the terminal while the main concourse is on the inner ring. Getting off the plane I was shocked at how quickly I passed the security exit and got to baggage claim. It was literally 25 feet to security and a couple hundred more to get my baggage.

The terminal is lined with various shops and restaurants that offer standard travel needs and food/drinks.

My business will be bringing me back a few more times and I look forward to using this airport in the future."
I'm sure there are many more like this.

After all, if there weren't, the average of all ratings for the airport on Yelp wouldn't be 2.5 stars out of a possible 5.

But the fact that the average is 2.5 stars suggests there's lots of negative comments - in fact, as many negative ones as positive ones. That's pretty bad, albeit it could be worse.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:18 AM

112 posts, read 61,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm sure there are many more like this.

After all, if there weren't, the average of all ratings for the airport on Yelp wouldn't be 2.5 stars out of a possible 5.

But the fact that the average is 2.5 stars suggests there's lots of negative comments - in fact, as many negative ones as positive ones. That's pretty bad, albeit it could be worse.
Also, I looked through ratings for other airports. The aggregate ratings for most of them were better than KCI. It really wasn't a matter of cherry picking. Sure, there were some positive ratings. But the overwhelming majority were negative. I will acknowledge that people are probably more likely to review something when they've had a bad experience. But still . . . the idea that KCI is some great design that everyone loves if far from true. The only good thing I hear about it over and over is the short distance from your car to your gate. But KCI also has the second longest wait to get through security. So your time savings from the short walk get eaten up at the security line. Plus, what's a little walk really going to hurt? Are we really that lazy?

Anyway . . . here's hoping our outdated, embarrassing dinosaur of an airport terminal is gone soon. I once picked someone up who traveled here from Chicago for the first time. She looked around the airport and said, "this is weird. Is this your main airport?" Great first impression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or