U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-25-2017, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
Reputation: 2198

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But CrownVic really isn't an outsider. He likes Kansas City and Kansas Citians. Others just come here to tell us how stupid we are for not being like wherever they are currently living now that they have moved somewhere more "vibrant" than Kansas City.
There's a reason I bought that "I lived in Kansas City BEFORE it was cool" T-shirt on my last visit.

The city I live in now was somnambulent after dark when I moved here in 1983. (And this lack of liveliness in the off-hours was a subject of mirth for years: the famous Philadelphia-born comic, W.C. Fields, once quipped, "I went to Philadelphia on a Sunday but it was closed.")

The streets of Center City Philadelphia now hum with activity not only after work but well into the night.

Likewise, the Westport I knew from my high school days is nothing like the Westport I went to on my two most recent visits.

KC swings now in a way it simply didn't when I was growing up there. And I loved growing up there and wouldn't trade it for growing up anywhere else in the country.

My travel-agent friend simply confirms my own observations. As do comments from just about everyone I know up this way who has been to both Kansas City and St. Louis: I have yet to meet one who said they liked St. Louis better. And I have yet to meet anyone who has been to KC lately and hated the visit.

I may not live there now, but you all who do are stewards of a fantastic city and region. I hope you don't mind my shouting from the cheap seats my own opinions on how it can remain that way - or, for that matter, voicing them in 435 each month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2017, 06:35 AM
 
1,298 posts, read 982,763 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But CrownVic really isn't an outsider. He likes Kansas City and Kansas Citians. Others just come here to tell us how stupid we are for not being like wherever they are currently living now that they have moved somewhere more "vibrant" than Kansas City.
I guess I'm in good shape then. I like Kansas City. I like Kansas Citians. And I live in podunk Springfield, Missouri, and wish my town could be more like KC, not the other way around.

For the record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2017, 01:04 PM
 
12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Reputation: 14096
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I guess I'm in good shape then. I like Kansas City. I like Kansas Citians. And I live in podunk Springfield, Missouri, and wish my town could be more like KC, not the other way around.

For the record.


I don't think anyone ever said they wanted KC to be like Springfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2017, 02:37 PM
 
1,298 posts, read 982,763 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think anyone ever said they wanted KC to be like Springfield.
Right. I was responding to the stereotype you seemed to be setting up that, "Others just come here to tell us how stupid we are for not being like wherever they are currently living now that they have moved somewhere more "vibrant" than Kansas City."

So I guess we can agree that you weren't talking about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Reputation: 5405
Bathroom situation shows it's time for new KCI | The Kansas City Star

Quote:
The three women in front of me, who were not KC residents, were horrified by our airport.
Quote:
I was asked, “What’s wrong with Kansas City?”

I shrugged and said, “Believe or not people think our airport is convenient.”

The women didn’t believe me. One responded, “Convenient to whom? The TSA?”
Quote:
I began chatting up a flight attendant who shared that KCI is basically the airport they all hate. She called a layover here “torture.”
Quote:
I found a seat and perched myself in the middle of what I think was a team of convention-goers heading home. They were steamed about their delayed flight that was “made worse by being at this airport.”

The group purposely planned to arrive at KCI as late as possible to avoid spending any more time than they had to be here. A lady who looked like she could run a couple of Fortune 500 companies announced that being at KCI was “a sorry way to end a good trip.”

I asked if the airport situation would make her not want to come back to Kansas City and she quickly replied that the “airport leaves a bad taste coming and going.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2017, 08:56 PM
 
Location: IN
20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
Reputation: 12507
KC Council unanimously agrees on KCI proposal for November election | The Kansas City Star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2017, 05:01 AM
 
Location: Alamogordo, NM
5,496 posts, read 5,153,156 times
Reputation: 3267
KC Council unanimously agrees on KCI proposal for November election | The Kansas City Star

Could this really be true? KCI being rebuilt, at least in part, for the common good of all of its citizens, at no cost to the local KC Metro resident? No way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
705 posts, read 822,598 times
Reputation: 638
Well, I think the chances of getting the much needed new terminal are dead in the water now. The overwhelming majority of the people commenting on the news on Facebook are uneducated voters who are voting no either because they're beyond misinformed, because they like KCI the one time they fly a year, or because the government didn't pick the local company to build the project and would rather shoot themselves in the foot than vote for an "out of town" company.

I'd almost prefer Brownback try to STAR Bond a new airport in the middle on nowhere at this point because its become clear that the voters of KCMO will never vote for progress unless it's a selective vote like the one that got the initial phase of the streetcar passed. The JoCo bashers can't blame Kansas for the lack of progress in the metro time if the airport vote fails to pass due to the ignorance of KCMO voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
Reputation: 2198
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Well, I think the chances of getting the much needed new terminal are dead in the water now. The overwhelming majority of the people commenting on the news on Facebook are uneducated voters who are voting no either because they're beyond misinformed, because they like KCI the one time they fly a year, or because the government didn't pick the local company to build the project and would rather shoot themselves in the foot than vote for an "out of town" company.
I hope you're wrong but fear you may be right.

I note that Council achieved unanimity by removing references to airport revenue bonds from the ballot question. They will have some educating to do.

But they have a ready-made, simple slogan: "It won't cost you a dime to give Kansas City the modern airport it needs!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2017, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
705 posts, read 822,598 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I hope you're wrong but fear you may be right.

I note that Council achieved unanimity by removing references to airport revenue bonds from the ballot question. They will have some educating to do.

But they have a ready-made, simple slogan: "It won't cost you a dime to give Kansas City the modern airport it needs!"
I only wish I knew how to attach images from my phone. I have a few screenshots of the overwhelming negativity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top