U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2017, 05:42 PM

3,663 posts, read 1,773,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That there is something called "society" does not infer widespread acceptance of the twisted agenda of today's urbanist regressives. And the large-scale rejection of that agenda in the KC metro is what leads to the "mess" label by regressives.

US "society" evolved beyond "transit" a hundred years ago and enjoyed convenient, safe air travel for most of those years free of the deluded notion of a pressing need for airports to be redesigned and rebuilt from a police state blueprint at billion dollar cost.

As life quality slip-slides away for average people in regressive metros, Kansas City continues to extend its lead simply by refusing to join the silliest party thrown since the fall of the Roman Empire.
I'll actually back you on the worth of the post-9/11 security theater apparatus. But since no one appears interested in calling the emperor out on his new clothes - and that includes conservatives, many of whom backed this stuff in the beginning - I'm afraid that the city should have a facility that accommodates the hardware better. Just the simple installation of metal detectors a few years after KCI opened thwarted its chief selling point and led TWA, which asked for the design in the first place, to demand the city modify it, as I mentioned above.

The city is big enough and has enough passenger traffic to justify and support a hub operation. We don't have one, and won't as long as the current facility remains as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 05:45 PM

3,663 posts, read 1,773,993 times
By the way, your prior statement wasn't a dig at "regressives," it was a rejection of the notion that we have any sort of collective entity with a claim on our conscience.

That has little to do with Left and Right. There is a conservative vision of community and collective action.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:34 AM

1,298 posts, read 984,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That there is something called "society" does not infer widespread acceptance of the twisted agenda of today's urbanist regressives. And the large-scale rejection of that agenda in the KC metro is what leads to the "mess" label by regressives.

US "society" evolved beyond "transit" a hundred years ago and enjoyed convenient, safe air travel for most of those years free of the deluded notion of a pressing need for airports to be redesigned and rebuilt from a police state blueprint at billion dollar cost.

As life quality slip-slides away for average people in regressive metros, Kansas City continues to extend its lead simply by refusing to join the silliest party thrown since the fall of the Roman Empire.
Honest question for you, CrownVic:

What do you believe the central city should look like? Should it be remade in the image of suburbia? Left to rot? Or some third way?

And for bonus points: Where do you believe lower-income people should live? What part of town, and in what type of housing?

Old 10-17-2017, 02:11 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post

What do you believe the central city should look like? Should it be remade in the image of suburbia? Left to rot? Or some third way?

And for bonus points: Where do you believe lower-income people should live? What part of town, and in what type of housing?
I'll answer for you. KC in 1980-1990. That's when the MO side was probably at its lowest and JoCo was peaking at siphoning the economy over to their county. This is the time when KC was literally falling off the national map. Downtown was a total disgrace second maybe only to Detroit, the northland was nothing but farms, but College Boulevard was booming.

Now that the entire Metro is actually doing well (at least compared to itself, it's still lagging behind most peers), and JoCo is not the center of the universe in KC, the entire metro is rebounding economically and the entire metro has become a much more desirable place to relocate to and do business in.

There is still very little cooperation across state line in metro kc, which continues to hold the metro back, but at least the growth has returned to the side of the metro that really matters in order for the entire metro to grow.

So I'm guessing by all his posts, that CrownVic would like to see KC return this state. Where union station and liberty memorial are vacant, kci and kemper arena are still in their original, but vastly underused states, where all is well in Johnson County as subsidized office parks fill up with relocated KCMO companies and white people can live in harmony and be safe south of the Wyandotte County line and west of State Line road. JoCo tries to build their own airport, their own zoo, their own convention center, they even try to lure over the KC sports teams. But each time, the can't figure out that a county of 500,000 people is not really that big and they can't pull it off. They think they are 90% of KC, but they just aren't.

Hopefully those days are nearly gone.

Last edited by kcmo; 10-17-2017 at 02:53 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 04:24 PM

12,608 posts, read 14,621,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post

Where do YOU believe lower income people should live? Because with all the gentrification, they are being pushed out. I don't think you really care about THEM, just your urban renewal agenda.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:48 PM

5,500 posts, read 5,163,219 times
Our son, who stayed behind in Kansas City after the Mrs. and I moved to eastern Washington state, just scored a gig passing out fliers to people in KC encouraging them to vote yes for the Airport Bill on November 7th. The gig will not last long but it is for a good cause. Let's hope it passes - KCI could use an upgrade, eh?

Old 10-17-2017, 06:24 PM

941 posts, read 1,005,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Our son, who stayed behind in Kansas City after the Mrs. and I moved to eastern Washington state, just scored a gig passing out fliers to people in KC encouraging them to vote yes for the Airport Bill on November 7th. The gig will not last long but it is for a good cause. Let's hope it passes - KCI could use an upgrade, eh?
My gut feeling is that the city has botched this up so badly that the vote will fail.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:38 PM

519 posts, read 468,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
My gut feeling is that the city has botched this up so badly that the vote will fail.
I have the same feeling that the vote is going to fail. It will be interesting to see the zip codes that vote yes and the zip codes that vote no. I think the no vote areas are going to surprise the "intellectuals" who are following this vote. And if this fails, then I think Kansas needs to get the ball moving to get a new airport to replace KCI on the Kansas side. I hope KC votes yes but just from talking with KC residents I work with, they are going with a no vote.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:55 PM

5,500 posts, read 5,163,219 times
Why are they voting no?

Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,148,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Because with all the gentrification, they are being pushed out.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or