Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:49 PM

975 posts, read 1,395,273 times

Advertisements

It looks like there is another mall redevelopment project forthcoming on the KS side.

Source: Olathe’s Great Mall closing this fall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 10:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,268,292 times
Not a big surprise, there.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:10 PM

767 posts, read 1,309,260 times
And the masses cried... "That place was still open?"

I don't approve of the current plans for Metcalf South, Metro North, or Mission Center so I hope someone can come up with a true mixed use space here.

On an added note does anyone know where I can find older pictures of Mission Center or Ward Parkway? All of the other malls in Kansas City, including Crown Center and The Landing have vintage pictures floating around.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,268,292 times
Has anybody been in there recently? I had never been there, but we were there a few weeks ago on an unsuccessful quest for the Pet Connection's storefront there (closed although signage and website indicated it should have been open), and it's pretty eerie.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:43 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,992,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not a big surprise, there.
I agree! The mall was a disappointment when it first opened.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:34 AM

934 posts, read 1,429,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Has anybody been in there recently? I had never been there, but we were there a few weeks ago on an unsuccessful quest for the Pet Connection's storefront there (closed although signage and website indicated it should have been open), and it's pretty eerie.
I was there during Christmas to take my nephew to see Santa Claus. The line was fairly short, and the mall was pretty much dead. I've noticed that the only crowd in the mall comes around the DMV which for whatever reason relocated inside the mall.

Shame about the closing, but not surprising. It used to be a fairly popular spot back in the day. I used to go there all the time when Gameco was open.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:34 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,443,381 times
Take a cue from Lakewood, Colorado!

http://goo.gl/maps/2hi07

Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 AM

767 posts, read 1,309,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Take a cue from Lakewood, Colorado!

http://goo.gl/maps/2hi07

The Denver metro has those types of centers all over the metro and with the exception of Belmar most of them aren't that great to be honest. I always feel like I'm going to get mugged at Northfield Stapleton, and the selection of stores there isn't anything notable.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:44 AM

83 posts, read 98,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
And the masses cried... "That place was still open?"

I don't approve of the current plans for Metcalf South, Metro North, or Mission Center so I hope someone can come up with a true mixed use space here.

On an added note does anyone know where I can find older pictures of Mission Center or Ward Parkway? All of the other malls in Kansas City, including Crown Center and The Landing have vintage pictures floating around.
A true mixed-use development would be awesome, but I feel like that's a long shot in Kansas. I'm so tired of driving by that eyesore that I'll settle for the inevitable single level retail with residential on the fringes. I do expect it will be a more upscale development this time. Wow, that has to be one of the tackiest new malls built in the last 20 years.

Belmar in Lakewood is an ideal model to use. There are at least five other developments out here that would be great to us as a starting point. I just hope it's not a giant parking lot with retail and two story apartments sprinkled throughout in no particular order. I've seen that happen here in Denver where they falsely advertised it as mixed use. That's a severe disappointment. If I have to walk 500' across blacktop between one story retail pods then it's not mixed use. If the tallest residential building is two stories and has no retail on the first level, it's not mixed use. If there are no common areas or green space and I feel the need to drive between stores, again it's not mixed use. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but there will be significant upside in my expectations.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:53 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,443,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
The Denver metro has those types of centers all over the metro and with the exception of Belmar most of them aren't that great to be honest. I always feel like I'm going to get mugged at Northfield Stapleton, and the selection of stores there isn't anything notable.
Define "not that great". I'd like to learn a little background about these types of developments that goes beyond the nervous feeling that you get at Northfield Stapleton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City