U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 11:45 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,520,931 times

Advertisements

Serious question.

I get lots of news feeds from KC via facebook, twitter, KC Star etc and the past couple of years the crime there has been extremely noticeable by myself and others I know that live or used to live in KC. There just seems to be a lot more very random crimes against innocent people in areas of the city that would not normally see this. River Market, Downtown core, Westport and Plaza have all had some pretty serious violent crimes and quite frequently such as shootings, murders etc. Same with many of the area's nicer suburbs on both sides of the state line.

What's going on? Does it feel like things are actually getting worse there or is this just because of social media?

Is this a thing people are talking about or are people generally not thinking about it?

Just wondering, because things look kind of crazy like crime has moved out of the typical ghetto areas and is affecting more and more of the metro area. It used to be that if you are not selling drugs on 39th and Prospect, you are okay, but drive by shootings downtown, river market, westport etc? Crazy things happening in JoCo and Blue Springs/Lee's Summit?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 12:05 PM

677 posts, read 1,147,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Serious question.
There just seems to be a lot more very random crimes against innocent people in areas of the city that would not normally see this. River Market, Downtown core, Westport and Plaza have all had some pretty serious violent crimes and quite frequently such as shootings, murders etc. Same with many of the area's nicer suburbs on both sides of the state line.
Random crimes? It seems like the vast majority of these are not random. Yes, the crimes have lately seemed to spread a bit to areas that haven't had as many problems, but the shooting/murder victims don't aren't generally random in nature.

Quote:
What's going on? Does it feel like things are actually getting worse there or is this just because of social media?
It does seem like there has been a recent spike in crime, but I think social media is drawing a lot more attention to it than in years past. Facebook and especially the recent rise of Nextdoor seem to have many more people talking about it than in the past.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:09 PM

7,736 posts, read 3,858,279 times
Crime has always been bad in some areas of KC, it has not just started. When I worked there, we had areas we refused to go into.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:15 PM

12,615 posts, read 14,630,194 times
Yes, I think it has gotten worse and like you said, it's not confined to the typical high crime areas anymore.

I think crime in general has increased nationwide recently. I think there's a lack of respect for law enforcement (maybe since Ferguson MO? - I don't know) and that in part is responsible. And other than that - gangs? drugs? kids? I don't know what it is.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:44 PM

889 posts, read 1,430,443 times
Violent crime is way down since the early 1990s. Petty crime is stable, maybe up a little, mostly people stealing things to sell or feed a habit. The burglars have gotten tired of stealing in the poorest neighborhoods, so they go where the money is located. It seems greater because of highly active Facebook pages like Stolen KC.

85% of homicides are drug-related, many of the rest are domestic violence, and many are both.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:39 PM

35,821 posts, read 39,419,773 times
I'm not really sure if stats are actually up or if it's just more visible/covered and publicized across multiple media. I think it also depends on how you define what constitutes "random" crime.

I do think there is a decreased trust of/faith in law enforcement, and I think there's a great deal of sociopolitical unrest, which can create a powder keg situation where people teetering on the edge of emotional and mental stability topple to the more dangerous side of things.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:02 PM

12,615 posts, read 14,630,194 times
I just found this article, so there must be something to it.

FBI report: Kansas City one of 7 cities responsible for national - KCTV5

Old 11-07-2016, 02:36 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,520,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I just found this article, so there must be something to it.

FBI report: Kansas City one of 7 cities responsible for national - KCTV5
Funny that article mentioned DC and Baltimore too. I guess I don't watch the local news or they just don't report it. I read the Washington Post daily and there is very little mention of crime stuff in it. It's mostly national and world news. I think I get more crime updates from KC social media than anything local.

KC has always had high crime and has ranked relatively high nationally and it never really bothered me because it was typically nearly entirely in small parts of the east side where gangs and drugs were out of control. I'm just surprised at "where" the crime is happening in KC in much of the news I have seen recently. Of course this trend of preying on average people going about their business could easily be a national thing, I just pay attention to KC more.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:50 PM

187 posts, read 141,156 times
Actually, respect for police officers is at one of the highest points ever, even among minorites

Poll: Respect for local police near all-time high - CNNPolitics.com

But, it could either be a anomaly(the city I live in had a very bad year for murders last year, but is now back to normal or even less) or it could have to due with increasing herion/opined use throughout the US and that could be fueling crime

Old 11-07-2016, 02:57 PM

7,736 posts, read 3,858,279 times
Nationwide, crime is way down according to the FBI. But KC is listed as one of the most dangerous cities in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or