U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2016, 12:06 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 2,729,125 times
Reputation: 1095

Advertisements

I just saw on a list of voter results that Mr. Chastain still persists in trying to get rail service into downtown KC - this time from the airport. That's a long way, meaning lots of money. I admire his persistence in the face of so many failures, though. Thought I'd ask again if he ever got the one from the southern end northward. Last I knew, from this web site, I believe, he had not.

How I miss Kansas City!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2016, 03:58 PM
 
Location: KCMO (Plaza)
290 posts, read 230,070 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I just saw on a list of voter results that Mr. Chastain still persists in trying to get rail service into downtown KC - this time from the airport. That's a long way, meaning lots of money. I admire his persistence in the face of so many failures, though. Thought I'd ask again if he ever got the one from the southern end northward. Last I knew, from this web site, I believe, he had not.

How I miss Kansas City!
I voted against his light rail initiative last Tuesday since it was completely unworkable. It failed of course. On the other hand, we have the downtown starter streetcar line that may be expanded to 51st and Brookside Blvd. depending on how the vote goes for expanding the transit development district (TDD) in 2017.

http://kcstreetcar.org/about-streetc...car-expansion/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 01:52 AM
 
2,473 posts, read 2,729,125 times
Reputation: 1095
So, are you saying that he never got that line from somewhere southward to downtown? I don't think it was Brookside but maybe it was. I only remember that the tracks were already there and his idea was to make use of them. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 07:22 AM
 
7,668 posts, read 3,840,438 times
Reputation: 4433
Why does a man who doesn't even live in the area, push something unworkable for years? There must be a hidden profit for him somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 08:04 AM
 
2,473 posts, read 2,729,125 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Why does a man who doesn't even live in the area, push something unworkable for years? There must be a hidden profit for him somewhere.
Doesn't he live in KC? I thought he did. I doubt there's any profit in it for him unless some developer is paying him to create the inspiration and then will step in to do the job. Still I can't imagine anyone staying with something so long as he has stuck with this without gaining any profit. Not even that imaginary backer would hang on so long.

All right. Just wondered. Old story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 11:47 AM
 
Location: KCMO (Plaza)
290 posts, read 230,070 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
So, are you saying that he never got that line from somewhere southward to downtown? I don't think it was Brookside but maybe it was. I only remember that the tracks were already there and his idea was to make use of them. Thanks.
No, his previous plan that was passed was voided by the city council. I think you're referencing some of the paved over track on the trolley trail that goes to Waldo. That trail could be re-purposed for the streetcar someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Doesn't he live in KC? I thought he did. I doubt there's any profit in it for him unless some developer is paying him to create the inspiration and then will step in to do the job. Still I can't imagine anyone staying with something so long as he has stuck with this without gaining any profit. Not even that imaginary backer would hang on so long.

All right. Just wondered. Old story.
He has made it his crusade to get light rail in KC, but doesn't work with anyone in the city government or transit agencies to produce a workable plan. I doubt he has any profit in it, yet I think his ego is at play to be 'the savior' of KC and its resurgence spurred by his transit initiative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 11:57 AM
 
2,473 posts, read 2,729,125 times
Reputation: 1095
He's been at it for so long. I don't know how long. Don't think I ever saw a ballot without his project on it. So it goes. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 12:16 PM
 
7,668 posts, read 3,840,438 times
Reputation: 4433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Doesn't he live in KC? I thought he did. I doubt there's any profit in it for him unless some developer is paying him to create the inspiration and then will step in to do the job. Still I can't imagine anyone staying with something so long as he has stuck with this without gaining any profit. Not even that imaginary backer would hang on so long.

All right. Just wondered. Old story.


He lives in Bedford, Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2016, 12:29 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 2,729,125 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
He lives in Bedford, Virginia.
Gracious! Don't think he always did. Am I wrong? He tried to become mayor just last year? Surely he lived there then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Chastain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2016, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Parkville, MO
84 posts, read 110,915 times
Reputation: 116
There was an in-depth article about him in the star a few weeks ago.


Transit advocate Clay Chastain has returned to Kansas City with a new light rail plan despite his contentious relationship with Kansas City Council. | The Kansas City Star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top