U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 08:45 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times

Advertisements

Well, this is interesting.

Reports: St. Louis Blues to Have Kansas City AHL Team in 2017-18

I'm not sure what this means for the Missouri Mavericks. The AHL is a higher end league than the ECHL, but maybe metro KC can support them both.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 10:30 PM

3,658 posts, read 1,768,811 times
What goes around comes around: Kansas City's short-lived NHL franchise, the Scouts, replaced a St. Louis Blues farm club.

But that iteration of the Kansas City Blues played one level down from this one, in the Central Professional Hockey League.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:23 AM

481 posts, read 579,989 times
I think the Mavericks have a pretty loyal following with most of the season ticket holders in eastern Jackson county, specifically Independence. I would think an AHL club in the Sprint Center would draw more people, especially from JoCo that don't want to drive to Independence to see an CHL team.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
I think the Mavericks have a pretty loyal following with most of the season ticket holders in eastern Jackson county, specifically Independence. I would think an AHL club in the Sprint Center would draw more people, especially from JoCo that don't want to drive to Independence to see an CHL team.
I don't think the Mavericks draw much at all from outside Jackson County. They may draw some from the Northland. Joco people don't go to eastern Jackson County for any reason (unless you consider the TSC eastern Jackson County as most people in JoCo don't know about anything east of there) and the times I have been to Mavs games, I didn't see any Kansas plates.

However, they draw from much more than Independence. They draw from all of suburban Jackson County and beyond. I know people from Blue Springs, Grain Valley, Lee's Summit, Raytown etc that all go to games often. That's a lot of people that I'm sure most probably won't drive past the Mavs to see a game downtown.

It's not like it takes a metro of 2.5 million to support an AHL or CHL team, so I'm sure the market is plenty large enough. It will be nice to see a sports team playing downtown, but it might cut into KC's lucrative concert schedule and the Sprint Center is really too big for AHL. I see the team moving to KCK or JoCo once established and a new smaller arena opens way south or way west.

If KC can support two minor league teams well, then it should get rid of them both and bring in an NHL team. It will be interesting. As a huge Caps fan in DC, there is no comparison between minor leagues and NHL.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:14 PM

990 posts, read 877,810 times
There have been conflicting reports on this...it's not official yet.

The Chicago Wolves have not commented on any pending relocation and the Missouri Mavericks owner Lamar Hunt Jr. denies any connection to operating an AHL team in KC. The original report indicated Hunt would be involved in the AHL team here, but so far he has indicated that is not true...

The Mavericks (ECHL) have an affiliation with both the Blues and Islanders.

I'm a hockey fan, born and raised in a hockey town and grew up going to NHL games (Sabres). I really would love for us to get an AHL team in Sprint Center. But we have to be careful what we wish for. Down in OKC, the Edmonton Oilers set up an AHL team that failed spectacularly and was quickly relocated. While KC may be more of a hockey town than OKC, it is not a "hockey town". An AHL team answers to the NHL parent, and the parent clubs typically demand relatively high attendance or they simply relocate the team. We don't have a huge hockey youth movement here. We only have a handful of rinks - only a couple of schools in the entire metro even offer hockey as a sport. We don't have a single college hockey program in KC, and the nearest D1 hockey program is in Omaha. To give some context, my high school had nine hockey teams (at different levels), and nearly every high school and middle school in the Buffalo area (where I am from) had at least one hockey team. It would awesome to grow hockey in KC, and the Mavericks are a big part of that...I just also think we need to make sure we don't grow so fast that we don't have an underlying strong support for hockey in general. The Mavs average about 5000 a game attendance-wise. An AHL club will be expected to do better than that - probably closer to 7,000 or 8,000.

Last edited by KC_Sleuth; 12-01-2016 at 02:27 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 05:57 PM

^, Not sure what happened in OKC, I recall the old OKC Blazers team being wildly popular there. They drew very well for a long time. That's why the AHL wanted to be there, but they didn't draw half the fan support the Blazers did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or