Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:41 PM

709 posts, read 1,491,864 times

Advertisements

Yes, KC has humid weather and bugs, but the amount is relative. I don't think the bugs in KC are too bad, but as someone else said, I think that can vary depending on which part of the city you are located. I live in an urban neighborhood (although I do have a decent sized lawn and plenty of green around me) so it's probably not as bad as suburban areas, particularly those that might abut a creek or wooded area. Also, I think I tend to get bitten less than other people. I have heard bugs are really bad in MN, so I would assume KC has less.

The heat and humidity is worse for me. That would be the factor that would be more likely to prevent me from spending time outside rather than bugs. But I love cool weather personally, and would be happy if stayed 60 degrees.

To address a few other items you touched on:

If you are seeing a nice, big, old house for under $80k, it is likely in a questionable location and/or needs a significant amount of work. That's not to say it is impossible to find a decent house in that range, but like you said, you get what you pay for.

KC generally ranks pretty low when it comes to bike-friendliness. There have been steps taken to improve this - adding bike lanes and trails, bike sharing stations, etc - but there is still a ways to go. Also, KC can be rather hilly in spots, so it is not the easiest city to bike. That said, there are still a decent amount of people who bike.

The bus system is decent - depending on where you live and need to go. It is serviceable in the urban core of the city, but getting to and from the suburbs can be a challenge.

The urban core of KC is actually quite liberal. The suburbs range from moderate to Conservative, and the surrounding rural areas are ultra-Conservative. There is a broad range around the metro, so If you want to be in a community of like-minded people, you can find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,042,880 times
I might add I also lived in Minneapolis for a couple of years. Mosquitoes and black flies are worse up there. The mosquitoes go hard for a few months because they don't have as many months to procreate as they do here. Also, 10,000 lakes and such...

It is much colder in Minnesota, of course. My apartment up there didn't have double-sliding windows for nothing. But by comparison, Kansas City will feel a lot colder than Las Vegas.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:49 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
We were pleasantly surprised at all of the greenery - grass and trees - in the area surrounding Kansas City. It's really a beautiful city, we have learned, it's the city of fountains, too. We really like the look of downtown - the historic looking buildings are the ones I like the most. There'll be more here to explore than we'll have time ta do for a long time.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:21 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post

You might think it's cold in Las Vegas, but in Kansas City, when it gets cold, it stays cold for a long time. Arctic air masses shoot down through the plains and nothing can really stop it. A typical January high temperature will be 25 degrees. But the wind is always blowing, so it feels a lot colder. Actual low temperatures below zero will happen a few times every winter. Typical snowfall is around 20", but the past couple of winters have been dry, leading to two years of moderate drought. The TV meteorologists are geeking out over "hints" that snowfall will be above normal this winter.
I haven't noticed prolonged cold snaps in KC during the past three years. I've noticed we will get an arctic blast (under 32 for a high) but it normally lasts 1-2 days max before it warms up to milder weather.

And also, the average high in KC in January is about 40 degrees.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:39 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I haven't noticed prolonged cold snaps in KC during the past three years. I've noticed we will get an arctic blast (under 32 for a high) but it normally lasts 1-2 days max before it warms up to milder weather.

And also, the average high in KC in January is about 40 degrees.
Based on a warming climate with the upwardly revised winter temperatures using 1971-2010 data... KCI is the official Kansas City metro area observation station, and it used to have an average January high temperature of 34-35F using 1961-1990 averages...
So yes, the trend is much much warmer compared to the past. KC has next to nothing in common with most of the Midwest in terms of climate and is far more like the South in terms of climate with each passing year. I had a friend send me a picture of leaves still on the trees in KC in late November. That was almost unheard of decades ago in KC. Even as recently as 20-25 years ago most of the leaves would be nearly off the trees by late October or early November.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:53 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Based on a warming climate with the upwardly revised winter temperatures using 1971-2010 data... KCI is the official Kansas City metro area observation station, and it used to have an average January high temperature of 34-35F using 1961-1990 averages...
So yes, the trend is much much warmer compared to the past. KC has next to nothing in common with most of the Midwest in terms of climate and is far more like the South in terms of climate with each passing year. I had a friend send me a picture of leaves still on the trees in KC in late November. That was almost unheard of decades ago in KC. Even as recently as 20-25 years ago most of the leaves would be nearly off the trees by late October or early November.
I remember last year driving through Brookside and still seeing leaves on some of the trees in December. I agree, it is definitely not like the part of the Midwest that I grew up in.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:52 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I remember last year driving through Brookside and still seeing leaves on some of the trees in December. I agree, it is definitely not like the part of the Midwest that I grew up in.
I think that depends on the kind of tree. All our trees drop their leaves in October/early November EXCEPT our pin oak, which still has leaves long after all the others have been cleaned up. Our pin oak still has all its leaves as we speak; they haven't even begun to fall.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:31 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times
As far as buying an older house facing significant repairs, I've had a Mexican handyman that's been renting a room from me for 15 years now (he's actually become family) and he'd be like a pig rolling in poop tackling a renovation of one of those houses. He'd love every minute of it! His only shortcoming is electrical. I'm just tired of living in an HOA community and facing increasing HOA fees/assessments. Those fees I can use for other purposes, like a state-of-the-art security system, if needed.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:15 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
You guys would find all the parts and lumber and fittings and such stores you could shake a stick at in Kansas City, too, tijlover. Good old sweat equity, eh?

Old 12-02-2016, 10:25 AM

172 posts, read 154,026 times
With respect to climate, I find KC hot and humid enough, during the summer, to be noticeably uncomfortable. Winter is equally uncomfortable, expect it becomes cold, dry, and windy. The great news is that both uncomfortable seasons last roughly 3 months with a very nice spring and awesome fall in between. There's nothing quite like the spring thaw in March/April or fall-like conditions in Sep/Oct after a hot summer. Just watch out for severe weather in May.

Forget about relative humidity readings and look at summer dew points. You'll find that KC isn't quite Houston or the deep south, but it can become very humid. 70+ dew points are not fun.

Regarding bike-friendliness, forget it! KC is an automobile focused metro. Bikes and pedestrians are viewed as annoyances. I frequently run and experienced some close calls with cars in allegedly pedestrian-friendly areas. If you're cautious, you can make it work, but be ready for resistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City