Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 01:50 PM

34 posts, read 135,169 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are officially moving to the KC area (from Austin) at the end of February. We're both 34 with no kids. We're planning to rent for the first year. There are so many apartment complexes and options, I thought I'd reach out here and see if anyone has a specific complex or area they'd highly recommend. Or, does anyone know of the best way to go about renting a house or condo? Is there such a thing as a management company that rents out houses? Or, can you only rent houses from individual people who own them?

My husband's job will be in Shawnee, near Nieman/79th. He'd prefer a 30 minute or less commute, including traffic.

We've been looking at places in Overland Park. We'd also love to be near Volker, Brookside, or Waldo in KC, but it doesn't seem like there are really many apartments near those areas. But there may be a few smaller rental homes?

What we're looking for:
- under $1,000 per month
- 2/2
- in-unit laundry or hook ups
- nice area
- reputable and well reviewed management company
- 30 minute or less commute to Shawnee
- prefer to be near(within 20mins) to some shopping, like Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Natural Grocers, or Costco
- If we could have it all, we'd want to be walking distance to shops/restaurants. Looks like there is a brand new place going up in downtown OP, but it's pretty pricey at over $1,000 for a 1/1

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to send me their thoughts! We're open to other areas as well, especially if it hits most of our criteria. It doesn't have to be in OP. OP just seems like a nice suburb with affordable options, so we thought we might end up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 06:07 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,686 times
I think your best bet for finding a rental is through Craigslist or Zillow. There are rental agencies out there that you can use, but it seems like I don't hear great things. There are management companies, as well. I can't think of any huge ones that would have a wide range of rentals that might fit your needs. I rented from Sederson Management quite some time ago and was happy.

You can find a good number of 2 bedrooms for under $1,000, but I think the requirement of a 2nd bath and in unit laundry will really limit your options at that price. If you could compromise on either of those, you should have more choices.

You are correct that Brookside and Waldo don't have many apartments. You will find mostly single family, or duplexes in those area. Anything in Brookside will be out of your price range, but you may find something in Waldo. Volker does have a decent amount of apartments, in addition to houses and duplexes. However, vacancy rates will be low as it is a popular area (I'm quite fond of it too).

I did notice this property in West Plaza (right by Volker) that seems to meet all of you criteria (although it says 2 bath in the criteria, the description looks like it may only have one bath. Not sure on that). I don't know anything about that management company.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:37 AM

34 posts, read 135,169 times
@WiseOwlSaysHoot

Thanks for your reply!

And thanks for the link to the West Plaza listing. That's a great place, and I'm surprised by how cheap it is! Maybe we will look to Craigslist too, as we keep searching. Thanks for all of your suggestions

Old 12-10-2016, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 14,514 times
My fiance and I live in the Volker/midtown area and are around the same age, no kids and we LOVE it. We rent a two bedroom home with a washer and dryer for $850. It does only have one bathroom. We did go out of the direct Volker area to the Kansas side, the prices are a little cheaper but we are still within a mile of 39th St (our favorite) and Westport.

I found my rental on Craigslist. Type in KU Med, Volker, or Valentine. Do be leary of ones that don't have a picture that sound too good to be true, there are some scams out there. However, mine didn't have a picture so don't totally discount them! Feel free to direct message me if you find something and want to question the area. West plaza also sometimes has some good options. Waldo is another great option but finding a rental in your price range might be tough. The rental market under $1000 is competitive! You didn't mention if you have pets or not, or whether you want to have them, but if you don't that helps you out a lot!

I used to live in Shawnee, right by where your husband will be working and I can't even describe how much more I love the area I am in now. I did almost buy a condo in downtown OP, that is a great area.

I am a realtor (yes I'm a realtor that rents, I'm a firm believer that while it's smart to own your home, life circumstances do not always allow it) and am very familiar with all parts of the city and the market. Please let me know if you have any specific questions!

Old 12-10-2016, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 14,514 times
I will also say if you do decide to stick close to his job, I did love and recommend the complex of Pinegate West in Shawnee. I just didn't love the area for being a 30 year old with no kids! Like most complexes though their prices have gone up pretty dramatically so not sure where they fall in the budget.

Also for midtown area (volker and valentine) you are further away from places like Trader Joe's, Costco, Target, etc although they are still all well within 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: