U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 01:22 PM

31 posts, read 25,679 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm currently a second semester junior at a public university in Illinois. I will graduate in the Spring of 2018 with an Adult & Community Education degree with a Spanish minor and Latin American Studies minor (it was only two more classes). I know mentioning my student loan burden is important to include in terms of budgeting, ect. That said, I will have approximately $35,000 is student loans once I graduate.

That said, my degree is very human service-oriented. Anticipated job placement ranges from non-profits (not on the top of my list), workforce development, student success centers at college/universities, and community efforts for non-English speaking individuals (hence, my chosen minors). My take-home income will probably be around the same as my student loans, which isn't not great. However, that's also based off central Illinois economy and cost of living.

I have done previous research and I know that Kansas City is actually one of the more affordable big cities in the U.S. Does that hold true for those of you more familiar with the area? If it turns out that it's too expensive, I'll find another option. I think that's a pretty simple formula for success. Thank you nonetheless!

1. Where could a human service worker live comfortably? I mentioned my anticipated income. I do plan to get a second job for nights and weekends to supplement my income. Are roommates a reliable option, given the price? Cheaper suburbs, 20-30 minutes away? I don't plan on living in the thick of the city by any means (despite how cool it may seem).

2. What's the weather like? I can imagine it's pretty similar to my currently place of residence (central Illinois) but I'm just curious.

3. I know that Kansas City is roughly 10% Hispanic. That's awesome in terms of my minor but are the human service sectors of both cities well-funded/supported? I know in Illinois, human services are constantly facing budget cuts.

4. Is Kansas City easily adaptable? I mean that in the most literal sense. I come from a very small farming town of 4,400 people. After getting my feet wet, some experience and know-how, is Kansas City a pretty easy place to commute in? Driving vs. public transportation, specifically.

5. This really is not as important to others as it is to me, but what's the music scene like? I'm an avid concert goer and I know that Kansas City is a must-stop for a lot of up-and-coming bands. That said, what are some of the cooler local venues, record stores, and bars like? What are some of your favorites?

6. I know that Kansas City has a decent amount of microbreweries which is a really cool. However, what is their local business, restaurant, and retail "vibe" like? Plenty of options? I imagine there are a lot due to its size but I ask anyways!

7. Lastly, this isn't specific just to the Kansas City, but what colleges/universities are closel? Graduate school is a definite possibility, and I know of UMKC and the University of Kansas isn't too far away in Lawrence but are there other options?

I can't really think of anything else at the moment. If you have any more information, suggestions, hints, tips, or fun facts, please let me know! I genuinely appreciate your help! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 03:54 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
University of Kansas has the Edwards Campus in Overland Park, which only offers graduate-level courses.

Sprint Center for concerts, but Starlight Theater for concerts in the summer - outdoor venue.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:02 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Yes, KC is one of the lest expensive "large" metros in the country. For everything that KC offers, it's a pretty cheap place to live. It's not dirt cheap though, so don't think it will be like living in a small town. Also you have to remember that KC is large and diverse, so you have a lot of ghetto etc that can artificially lower cost of living stats when in reality, the nicer parts of the city may be much more expensive than you may think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenlamb45 View Post
1. Where could a human service worker live comfortably? I mentioned my anticipated income. I do plan to get a second job for nights and weekends to supplement my income. Are roommates a reliable option, given the price? Cheaper suburbs, 20-30 minutes away? I don't plan on living in the thick of the city by any means (despite how cool it may seem).
Considering you don't want anything too urban since you are from a small town, the best suburbs that give you the best quality of life for a lower cost of living will be Blue Springs/Grain Valley, Liberty, Gladstone, Olathe/Gardner etc. Also, for apartments, the Northland area of KCMO along the 169 and 152 corridors have tons of places in nice areas. Even though you don't prefer urban, you might still take a look at areas like the River Market or Downtown because if you can find a place that is income restricted, you may be able to get into a really nice place, in a central location and you may find out you like city living. It's quieter and there is a lot less traffic than what most people in the suburbs deal with.
Quote:
2. What's the weather like? I can imagine it's pretty similar to my currently place of residence (central Illinois) but I'm just curious.
I would imagine it's very similar to central IL.
Quote:
3. I know that Kansas City is roughly 10% Hispanic. That's awesome in terms of my minor but are the human service sectors of both cities well-funded/supported? I know in Illinois, human services are constantly facing budget cuts.
Not sure about this one. Large urban areas tend to have more programs and related jobs than smaller towns though.
Quote:
4. Is Kansas City easily adaptable? I mean that in the most literal sense. I come from a very small farming town of 4,400 people. After getting my feet wet, some experience and know-how, is Kansas City a pretty easy place to commute in? Driving vs. public transportation, specifically.
I think it's more of a question, are you adaptable? Obviously you are or you wouldn't be considering a city so much larger than where you are from. KC is a major destination for people from the surrounding rural states and many of them move into the heart of the city. I think the city is easy to adapt to, much more so than a city on the east or west coast or Chicago.
Quote:
5. This really is not as important to others as it is to me, but what's the music scene like? I'm an avid concert goer and I know that Kansas City is a must-stop for a lot of up-and-coming bands. That said, what are some of the cooler local venues, record stores, and bars like? What are some of your favorites?
I'm out of touch on this, but KC has some nice venues. Blue Room or Phoenix for Jazz, Grinders in Crossroads for local or upcoming bands etc. There are record stores in areas like Westport etc. You shouldn't have a problem and this may be another reason for you to look at living in the city rather than a suburb 20 miles out.
Quote:
6. I know that Kansas City has a decent amount of microbreweries which is a really cool. However, what is their local business, restaurant, and retail "vibe" like? Plenty of options? I imagine there are a lot due to its size but I ask anyways!
Easy answer is yes. It's a big city. Tons of options for retail and restaurants. Boulevard Beer!
Quote:
7. Lastly, this isn't specific just to the Kansas City, but what colleges/universities are closel? Graduate school is a definite possibility, and I know of UMKC and the University of Kansas isn't too far away in Lawrence but are there other options?
UMKC, KU Edwards are good options, but also check out Park University in Parkville (also Downtown campus), UCM at Warrensburg (also suburban Lee's Summit campus).

Old 01-06-2017, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 1,508 times
I would highly recommend Kansas City, it's a nice place to live and work.
[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 01-24-2017 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: recomendations/links not permitted for new members, per the T.O.S., (mod queue)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or