U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
To call temps below -4F common every winter is not true at all. Many years it will never get below zero. In fact, 14 out of the last 30 years never had a temp below zero. In 2006, the temperature never got below 22 degrees.

I can't find and average of number of days with a below zero temp, but average days with a low under 10 degrees is 11 per year. Below zero temps happen much less often than below 10 in KC. I would guess that average might be 2 days a year.
That is true, there is much more variability with KC's climate compared to the vast majority of the Midwest which is obviously far colder overall. So, the extremes of a KC winter would be having a low temperature of -23F in 1989 or the mildest being 22F in 2006- which does seem extraordinarily mild to me. The average winter temperatures have certainly increased over the last few decades with the warming climate as well. As noted, "averages" are based on a thirty year set period of data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 02:57 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,057,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've lived in Minnesota (and was born and raised in northern Illinois, near the Wisconsin border...also spent significant time in WI, though never as a resident). Winters in KC will be a piece of cake. Even the "bad" weather days. At most, it's an occasional annoyance.

I agree with this. I'm a southern California native (36 years), moved to eastern Iowa 23 years ago, and visited my daughter frequently for 8 years when she lived in Kansas City. There is no comparison. The thing about KC is that the roads can get pretty icy in winter.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:57 AM

376 posts, read 429,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaviator View Post
I would agree with this assessment of the humidity. The short period that I was in KC was during the peak of summer. Growing up in SoCal I'd say my tolerance for humidity is quite a bit less than most. That said, I found the KC heat and humidity to be tolerable and better than expected - I frequently went on jogs when it was 90+ outside and humid. I've also spent a summer in Georgia and that is horrid heat and humidity.

I also have family in Minnesota and have only been there during the summer time; it still got hot and muggy up there, so if you can tolerate that then I don't think it'll be an issue in KC.
I'm with you, Flav. I lived most of my life in places like Laguna Beach, Dana Point and Ventura, and the humidity in KC has been a challenge. Then again, my parents, who still live in SoCal, tell me the humidity has been getting a lot worse even in their edge-of-the-desert community over the past 5 years, so KC's humidity seems less oppressive now, especially when you factor in the cost of living, food, culture, etc.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:01 AM

376 posts, read 429,532 times
OP, if your goal is to outright AVOID bitter winter cold, then KC would not be the right place. While it's true that the temps fluctuate wildly and next week is expected to rise back into the 40s and 50s for a few days, as I type this it's 6 degrees, which, as I know from just having taken my dog out to pee, is really cold.

Nashville and Charlotte will both have milder winters than Kansas City, in general. Whether there are other balancing factors for you that make one city more desirable than another—culture, cost of living, politics, food, sports, proximity to recreation, employment, schools—is up to you.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:47 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,735,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I agree with this. I'm a southern California native (36 years), moved to eastern Iowa 23 years ago, and visited my daughter frequently for 8 years when she lived in Kansas City. There is no comparison. The thing about KC is that the roads can get pretty icy in winter.
It is true about ice in the KC Metro area - unfortunately; and it occurs every winter. Biggest issue is that when we do get icy conditions, the temp doesn't rebound above freezing for several days, and in some instances longer than a few days.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:42 AM

7,041 posts, read 5,069,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
OP, if your goal is to outright AVOID bitter winter cold, then KC would not be the right place. While it's true that the temps fluctuate wildly and next week is expected to rise back into the 40s and 50s for a few days, as I type this it's 6 degrees, which, as I know from just having taken my dog out to pee, is really cold.

Nashville and Charlotte will both have milder winters than Kansas City, in general. Whether there are other balancing factors for you that make one city more desirable than anotheróculture, cost of living, politics, food, sports, proximity to recreation, employment, schoolsóis up to you.
Yes, Kansas City has winter and it gets cold. You are not avoiding winter in Kansas City.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:16 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
No. You are simply avoiding a Minnesota-like winter.

If not dealing with cold weather at ALL is a priority, obviously, move further south.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:09 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
It was 3 degrees here yesterday morning. It gets cold.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:55 AM

971 posts, read 1,133,578 times
Yes, and it was 3 degrees at Table Rock as well with the wind chill thrown in. You think Memphis didn't get some of it?

Old 01-08-2017, 03:57 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
It is true about ice in the KC Metro area - unfortunately; and it occurs every winter. Biggest issue is that when we do get icy conditions, the temp doesn't rebound above freezing for several days, and in some instances longer than a few days.
That is why I much prefer climate areas that get mostly all snow throughout the winter, instead of Lower Midwest and Upper South areas that get sleet and freezing rain precipitation types with temperatures too close to freezing most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or