U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 10:07 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times

Advertisements

Johnson County schools have been, are, and will be just fine. No way the schools are not going to be funded. They are tearing down old schools and building NEW schools. Doesn't sound like a funding problem to me. And the parents in Blue Valley and Shawnee Mission would never let the schools that THEIR kids go to go down the tubes. Some on here want to use scare tactics because they have a thing against Johnson County. But the truth is, the schools are fine and will continue to be fine.

Meanwhile, Kansas City (Missouri) public schools are now fully accredited for the first time in THIRTY YEARS! What an accomplishment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 08:39 AM

990 posts, read 878,275 times
I live right near Shawnee Mission South and it seems to be just as nice as the private Catholic high school that I went to (which was expensive when I attended between 1994 and 1997). My wife and I have gone to some of the theatre and sports events at SMS and it seems like a great school. The community around it is nice, and I would recommend it to people.

I don't understand the push to Blue Valley...I don't know if there is a huge correlation between wealthy districts and personal educational success...my wife went to a "lower-ranked" hich school (Wyandotte High), graduated towards the top of her class, and got a full ride to college...so it's not as if going to a "low-ranked" school really hindered her. Her parents stressed the importance of studying and getting an education, and she made the most out of her school experience. I think that fact is much more of a driver of success than the actual school itself.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:12 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,705,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Some on here want to use scare tactics because they have a thing against Johnson County.
No scare tactics here, and nothing against Johnson County because I live in BV schools and send two kids to them, but both sides of state line are under the same, ideological assault that involves secular spending cuts with no countervailing revenue growth.

Grietens is sharpening up his axe to find $700 million in cuts for Missouri, and cuts to k-12 will probably be a big chunk of it.
Ex-Missouri budget chair: closing budget gap would be hard without taking money from K-12

Brownback is still Brownback and the latest figures suggest as much as $11M more in cuts for Shawnee Mission and $8M more for BV.
Fixing Kansas

These guys just don't learn. You cant cut taxes for the top (businesses) and hope it trickles down to help public education.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:15 PM

5,469 posts, read 5,779,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
No scare tactics here, and nothing against Johnson County because I live in BV schools and send two kids to them, but both sides of state line are under the same, ideological assault that involves secular spending cuts with no countervailing revenue growth.

Grietens is sharpening up his axe to find $700 million in cuts for Missouri, and cuts to k-12 will probably be a big chunk of it.
Ex-Missouri budget chair: closing budget gap would be hard without taking money from K-12

Brownback is still Brownback and the latest figures suggest as much as $11M more in cuts for Shawnee Mission and $8M more for BV.
Fixing Kansas

These guys just don't learn. You cant cut taxes for the top (businesses) and hope it trickles down to help public education.
It's not the politicians to blame. At the end of the day, the people voted them into office. It's a systemic problem.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:34 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,496,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It's not the politicians to blame. At the end of the day, the people voted them into office. It's a systemic problem.
Politicians are certainly to blame, Brownback works for his corporate donors- not the voting populace most of the time. He has purposely worked to make state government fall short of revenue and fail programs, and he won't admit any blame for his ridiculous actions for his "great experiment."

Old 01-30-2017, 07:51 PM

5,469 posts, read 5,779,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Politicians are certainly to blame, Brownback works for his corporate donors- not the voting populace most of the time. He has purposely worked to make state government fall short of revenue and fail programs, and he won't admit any blame for his ridiculous actions for his "great experiment."
Well the people of Kansas saw first hand what Brownback was about during his first term, and they STILL voted him back into office. Yes, I shouldn't have said politicians aren't to blame, they are, but at the end of the day, the people of Kansas keep voting him into office knowing full well or at the very least being willfully ignorant of the sorts of ugly tactics he engages in. They had a chance to dump him but they didn't.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:54 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
Johnson County schools have been, are, and will be just fine. No way the schools are not going to be funded. They are tearing down old schools and building NEW schools. Doesn't sound like a funding problem to me. And the parents in Blue Valley and Shawnee Mission would never let the schools that THEIR kids go to go down the tubes. Some on here want to use scare tactics because they have a thing against Johnson County. But the truth is, the schools are fine and will continue to be fine.

Meanwhile, Kansas City (Missouri) public schools are now fully accredited for the first time in THIRTY YEARS! What an accomplishment!
While I agree that JoCo won't let their schools get trashed by the state, they are feeling the effects with larger class sizes, lower moral among teachers, less school sponsored activities etc. It's been documented here many times and anybody in the county would be lying if they didn't admit it.

As the same time, the good districts on the MO side (ignoring your comment about the KCMOSD) are in much better funding shape at least right now. It wouldn't surprise me in the least though if Missouri voters pulled the same crap and elected a bunch of idiots into office that are more concerned about the bible and business tax cuts / tax incentives than running a proper state government.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
While I agree that JoCo won't let their schools get trashed by the state, they are feeling the effects with larger class sizes, lower moral among teachers, less school sponsored activities etc. It's been documented here many times and anybody in the county would be lying if they didn't admit it.

After tearing down and rebuilding two brand new elementary schools in the last year (Briarwood, and I can't remember the other one) Shawnee Mission is now going to do the same with a third elementary school (Brookwood). And Corinth is not that old. So despite the claims of budget cuts, there is some money coming from somewhere.

I think you mean morale. I hope the teachers have high morals.

My kids were in Shawnee Mission schools in the 90s/early 2000s and the same things were being said under Governor Joan Finney. She didn't want the wealthy districts to have more money than the poor districts, and didn't want parents in affluent areas to be able to supplement funding for their kids' schools. There was hysteria about school funding. People were being told the kids would have to bring their own Kleenex to school. Guess what? Everything was fine. It's all politics.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:25 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Quote:
After tearing down and rebuilding two brand new elementary schools in the last year (Briarwood, and I can't remember the other one) Shawnee Mission is now going to do the same with a third elementary school (Brookwood). And Corinth is not that old. So despite the claims of budget cuts, there is some money coming from somewhere.

I think you mean morale. I hope the teachers have high morals.

My kids were in Shawnee Mission schools in the 90s/early 2000s and the same things were being said under Governor Joan Finney. She didn't want the wealthy districts to have more money than the poor districts, and didn't want parents in affluent areas to be able to supplement funding for their kids' schools. There was hysteria about school funding. People were being told the kids would have to bring their own Kleenex to school. Guess what? Everything was fine. It's all politics.
School construction is generally funded by local bonds, property taxes etc so funding new schools is likely a separate more protected entity from the state funding it takes to actually staff and run the schools. It cost more to run a school than to build it. It also takes many years of planning, raising funds, design/construction etc so anything you see happening now was likely finalized long before Kansas started running out of money. As the districts continue to look for ways to save money do to decreased state funding, new construction or renovations will be cut back because even if they can afford to build a new school, they couldn't afford to staff and run them. Even if the budgets were fixed this year, it would take a while for the planning/design/land acquisition side of things to catch back up for future school projects.

The bottom line is that Kansas schools are suffering due to Brownback cuts and while out-state schools are suffering more, even the affluent suburban districts are starting to feel some pain and it has been documented many times in the KC press.

The cuts to KS schools and other basic services by Brownback have been in place longer with deeper cuts than the late 90's and as conservative as Kansas is and as slow as the state is growing, things may not be getting better anytime soon.

Having said that, I don't think Johnson County is going to let their schools go down the drain. They will only take so many cuts before they take matters into their own hands and raise money locally to offset state funding. This will cause uproar in the rural parts of the state that don't have the ability to raise local funds, but JoCo residents will find a legal way to make it happen. I think even Topeka would know that they have to protect the county that provides 40% of the state's revenue and economic activity. Schools are a primary reason people choose to live in what is really the only large fast growing county in the state. JoCo will be fine as long as people first acknowledge that this may be a problem and also realize that if they don't do anything, they will lose more residents to the MO side suburbs.

People moving to the KC area or living there now and thinking about moving will quickly learn they have many options across the entire metro for good schools despite some people that still think JoCo has all the good schools and the 1.3 million people on the MO side all send their kids to unaccredited schools.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-31-2017 at 10:35 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 11:15 PM

^^^^ Exactly why there is NO reason to worry about Johnson County schools. They will be fine, just as I have said repeatedly.

If you look at the map that someone posted, the highest concentration of way above average schools are in Johnson County. The whole area has way above average schools. On the Missouri side you have some areas like that, separated by areas that are not.

My vote is still for Johnson County schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or