U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:26 AM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times

Advertisements

Brownback's main goal is to cut govt funding for schools and all other basic state govt functions so much that they won't work as well as they should under any normal circumstances. Then he'll say, "see, the schools aren't performing well- we need to give out more vouchers and strive for more private schools." The people don't understand that continually cutting basic core services that are vital to quality of life will only result in lower quality of life and more problems down the road. This goes back to the state robbing the DOT fund and kicking the bucket further down the road for maintenance and construction of existing roads and bridges. The elected officials need to visit states that have followed that course and it isn't good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 07:24 PM

48,891 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
^ stop trolling me! I'm gonna tell!
What are you going to do? Start another thread about pigs being used to eat the victims of serial killers?

I really thought we'd made some progress last year to try to be rational and civil but that KS-MO border war is like a cheap bottle of whisky on a lonely night and keeps drawing people back.

Oh well, don't mind me, I can post just like you do and watch the thin skin just start to roll up on it's own.

Have it your way.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
With the constant cutting that the state has been doing to education funding and the cutting it continues to do, in order to maintain the high functioning school districts in JO CO, property taxes are going to have to rise to New Jersey like levels. That is, if the Kansas legislature will even allow the Jo Co districts to raise taxes at all, as a matter of fairness. News alert, the Kansas Conservatives are trying to bankrupt public education so that everyone has to home school or go private unless they want a lowest common denominator education. Just ask them, it is one of their core goals.

Of course Missouri is not far behind in rushing to cripple its public schools, but hopefully can learn from Kansas' bad example.
WTF do you mean "not far behind".

You're out in front by a mile.

Takes a lot of hubris to state that when your public school system has to get political passes on accreditation.

Seems like at least half this discussion is just a distraction from your own problems.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Brownback's main goal is to cut govt funding for schools and all other basic state govt functions so much that they won't work as well as they should under any normal circumstances. Then he'll say, "see, the schools aren't performing well- we need to give out more vouchers and strive for more private schools." The people don't understand that continually cutting basic core services that are vital to quality of life will only result in lower quality of life and more problems down the road. This goes back to the state robbing the DOT fund and kicking the bucket further down the road for maintenance and construction of existing roads and bridges. The elected officials need to visit states that have followed that course and it isn't good.
Hey, if you're so bent out of shape how is KS doing vs. MO state-wide in education?

I don't agree with Brownback, didn't vote for the guy etc. but it seems like the people living in their car making fun of the people living in the double wide to feel better about themselves out of bitter rivalry.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:15 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, if you're so bent out of shape how is KS doing vs. MO state-wide in education?

I don't agree with Brownback, didn't vote for the guy etc. but it seems like the people living in their car making fun of the people living in the double wide to feel better about themselves out of bitter rivalry.
Kansas is following the approach of many other southern states under Brownback, that is the reality of the situation. So the forward looking indicators are not as good, especially economically. Many southern states are noted for having: low taxes, low services, lower wages, fewer services, and a generally lower quality of life. A healthy mixture is needed, like the moderate model from 10-20 years ago.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:31 PM

401 posts, read 299,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
WTF do you mean "not far behind".

You're out in front by a mile.

Takes a lot of hubris to state that when your public school system has to get political passes on accreditation.

Seems like at least half this discussion is just a distraction from your own problems.
When will you Kansans figure out that the KC School district doesn't cover the entire city of KC, let alone the entire county, let alone the entire MO side of metro KC, let alone the entire state? Yet you think Kansas schools = JO County only. Modcut

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-09-2017 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-12-2017, 12:50 PM

42 posts, read 31,946 times
For what it's worth, I moved here from overseas two weeks ago and my child has completed a week (!) in a Park Hill elementary school. The teacher is very friendly and fairly communicative. The school counselor took us on a tour of the school after we'd submitted our enrolment papers, which allowed my daughter and I to ask about a billion questions about how everything works. The principal actually came and introduced herself to us at this time, and also reminded admin staff to get us to fill out extra paperwork that I wouldn't have thought of myself, not having experienced any school systems here before. The kids seem friendly enough and the teacher has ensured someone is including my child each day at break times etc. The homework seems very reasonable (ie not too much at the 4th grade level). The middle and high schools look fine - we're in the zone for the southern of the two options. There seems to be a gifted option at the elementary level, not sure about the other levels. I'd love to be able to add more info, but we've only been in the schools a week. I am a non-working teacher myself and have very bright kids, so schools with friendly, reasonably well-behaved kids and approachable staff is what I usually look for. The academic levels exceed the state exam results posted online, if that matters.

The area is lovely to live in - way more space and slower pace than Johnson County. Plus the deal you get on home prices is so much better here. I lived in Johnson County for several years before my kids were school age. Wouldn't bother going back now! Drive time to the CBD is about 15 mins - this is living close to I29. If you're further west in the Park Hill district obviously it would take longer. Even better deals on homes the further west you go. Plus there's no end to the shops available - there's everything you could think of, unless you desperately must access a Costco!!

Good luck! Hope this has been some use!

Old 02-12-2017, 04:29 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anninkc View Post
For what it's worth, I moved here from overseas two weeks ago and my child has completed a week (!) in a Park Hill elementary school. The teacher is very friendly and fairly communicative. The school counselor took us on a tour of the school after we'd submitted our enrolment papers, which allowed my daughter and I to ask about a billion questions about how everything works. The principal actually came and introduced herself to us at this time, and also reminded admin staff to get us to fill out extra paperwork that I wouldn't have thought of myself, not having experienced any school systems here before. The kids seem friendly enough and the teacher has ensured someone is including my child each day at break times etc. The homework seems very reasonable (ie not too much at the 4th grade level). The middle and high schools look fine - we're in the zone for the southern of the two options. There seems to be a gifted option at the elementary level, not sure about the other levels. I'd love to be able to add more info, but we've only been in the schools a week. I am a non-working teacher myself and have very bright kids, so schools with friendly, reasonably well-behaved kids and approachable staff is what I usually look for. The academic levels exceed the state exam results posted online, if that matters.

The area is lovely to live in - way more space and slower pace than Johnson County. Plus the deal you get on home prices is so much better here. I lived in Johnson County for several years before my kids were school age. Wouldn't bother going back now! Drive time to the CBD is about 15 mins - this is living close to I29. If you're further west in the Park Hill district obviously it would take longer. Even better deals on homes the further west you go. Plus there's no end to the shops available - there's everything you could think of, unless you desperately must access a Costco!!

Good luck! Hope this has been some use!

That makes sense for you since your husband is working near Barry Road. I think you said when you lived in Johnson County before, it was in Roeland Park. That's a whole lot different than other areas of Johnson County.

The northland has a whole different vibe than comparable newer parts of Johnson County. It just depends what kind of vibe suits you.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:13 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The northland has a whole different vibe than comparable newer parts of Johnson County.
You got that right and thank god.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You got that right and thank god.
Yes, thank God. I have lived in the northland. I prefer Johnson County. Whole different kind of people/different lifestyle/different habits. For one, a whole lot more people smoke/chew in the northland, something I do not like or care to be around. To each his own.

Last edited by luzianne; 02-12-2017 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or