Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anninkc View Post
For what it's worth, I moved here from overseas two weeks ago and my child has completed a week (!) in a Park Hill elementary school. The teacher is very friendly and fairly communicative. The school counselor took us on a tour of the school after we'd submitted our enrolment papers, which allowed my daughter and I to ask about a billion questions about how everything works. The principal actually came and introduced herself to us at this time, and also reminded admin staff to get us to fill out extra paperwork that I wouldn't have thought of myself, not having experienced any school systems here before. The kids seem friendly enough and the teacher has ensured someone is including my child each day at break times etc. The homework seems very reasonable (ie not too much at the 4th grade level). The middle and high schools look fine - we're in the zone for the southern of the two options. There seems to be a gifted option at the elementary level, not sure about the other levels. I'd love to be able to add more info, but we've only been in the schools a week. I am a non-working teacher myself and have very bright kids, so schools with friendly, reasonably well-behaved kids and approachable staff is what I usually look for. The academic levels exceed the state exam results posted online, if that matters.

The area is lovely to live in - way more space and slower pace than Johnson County. Plus the deal you get on home prices is so much better here. I lived in Johnson County for several years before my kids were school age. Wouldn't bother going back now! Drive time to the CBD is about 15 mins - this is living close to I29. If you're further west in the Park Hill district obviously it would take longer. Even better deals on homes the further west you go. Plus there's no end to the shops available - there's everything you could think of, unless you desperately must access a Costco!!

Good luck! Hope this has been some use!
Congrats on the move. Please please please keep in mind that both the KS and MO forum are full of bitter folks with axes to grind over state border war stuff so take it all with a grain of salt and be sure to verify anything you read. Hope it a great move for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:59 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Kansas is following the approach of many other southern states under Brownback, that is the reality of the situation. So the forward looking indicators are not as good, especially economically. Many southern states are noted for having: low taxes, low services, lower wages, fewer services, and a generally lower quality of life. A healthy mixture is needed, like the moderate model from 10-20 years ago.
MO is more of a southern state than KS imo....just start with the number of white power hate groups in the state and go from there.

Throw in the vast racial education disparity and it's practically whistling dixie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City