U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Kansas City?
Midwestern 94 61.44%
Transitional from Midwest to West 53 34.64%
Western 6 3.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 AM

401 posts, read 299,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I didn't use to think this but since moving to the area the eastern part of the metro has this whole redneckish country vibe.
Huh? The rednecky side of KC is the Western part. We went to the speedway village last time we were in town and that's got a redneck vibe. How is East metro rednecky? Grain valley or oak grove I suppose? Blue spring seems like olathe, but I don't get to either one too often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 07:17 AM

4,801 posts, read 3,436,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Huh? The rednecky side of KC is the Western part. We went to the speedway village last time we were in town and that's got a redneck vibe. How is East metro rednecky? Grain valley or oak grove I suppose? Blue spring seems like olathe, but I don't get to either one too often.
Parts of eastern KC metro had some Southern influence for sure which can give off a redneck vibe

Old 02-01-2017, 08:53 AM

1,383 posts, read 715,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Parts of eastern KC metro had some Southern influence for sure which can give off a redneck vibe

True. Like I said, places like Lexington, Higginsville have some noticeable southern influences. Not fully southern but in the transition zone as I've described before. Like 30 percent southern maybe.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:13 AM

Was there any Western city that was very influenced by the South? I know while KC is not a Southern city the Southern vibes in its world famous barbecue and jazz are well known. I wonder if a city out West has the equivalent or at least close. You never really hear of Southern influence much out West.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:13 AM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Was there any Western city that was very influenced by the South? I know while KC is not a Southern city the Southern vibes in its world famous barbecue and jazz are well known. I wonder if a city out West has the equivalent or at least close. You never really hear of Southern influence much out West.
Bakersfield, CA, energy patch, huge migration of southerners and Okies in the early to mid 20th century. It is somewhat different now and is likely a majority minority demographic .

Old 02-01-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Bakersfield, CA, energy patch, huge migration of southerners and Okies in the early to mid 20th century. It is somewhat different now and is likely a majority minority demographic .
True. Bakersfield always gave off a pseudo Southern vibe.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:36 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Blue Springs, Lee's Summit etc don't have any sort of southern vibe IMO. There is some blue collar vibe, but not southern. Those areas have not even been around that long.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Blue Springs, Lee's Summit etc don't have any sort of southern vibe IMO. There is some blue collar vibe, but not southern. Those areas have not even been around that long.
That is true Kansas City isn't that old. At the outbreak of the civil war it was a small town. The sections further east like Lexington are older though and on the edges of the metro areas. The far eastern sections of the metro are within the western edges of Little Dixie though where you will still find noticeable southern influences around I70. Of course it leans more Midwestern today but still influence.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:07 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
That is true Kansas City isn't that old. At the outbreak of the civil war it was a small town. The sections further east like Lexington are older though and on the edges of the metro areas. The far eastern sections of the metro are within the western edges of Little Dixie though where you will still find noticeable southern influences around I70. Of course it leans more Midwestern today but still influence.
I agree with this. My point is that the actual metro area is not southern. Lexington is part of the KC MSA I think, but nobody thinks of Lexington as a suburb of KC. I lived in the Blue Springs area for 5-6 years and Lexignton never came up, ever. I have been there exactly once in my entire life and that was to take photos of the civil war attractions there. Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Grain Valley, eastern Independence, even Oak Grove are suburbs, some are pretty blue collar, but not really southern at all. You do get more redneck culture as you get away from the built up areas east of Blue Springs. But that's no different that Kearney or Gardner or Bonner Springs. KC is surrounded by redneck country just like almost every major metro in the country, including out here along the east coast. Rural USA is redneck no matter where you are.

IMO, the most southern area of the actual metro KC area is northern KCK. It just has this urban/rural twist with some ozarks mixed in. I can't explain it, but It's on of the weirdest cities in the county that's part of a major metro.

Now southern MO has some actual hillbilly southern culture southeast of Springfield. While Kansas has plenty of rednecks, I have not seen any hillbilly stuff there even way out the most rural areas. I have been all over rural Kansas in places most people in KC have never been. It's kind of a cool state as it has its own unique feel and some very unexpected topography once you get away from the interstates. I couldn't live there or in any other rural area, but I have enjoyed my time out there interacting with "real" Kansans.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-01-2017 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-01-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I agree with this. My point is that the actual metro area is not southern. Lexington is part of the KC MSA I think, but nobody thinks of Lexington as a suburb of KC. I lived in the Blue Springs area for 5-6 years and Lexignton never came up, ever. I have been there exactly once in my entire life and that was to take photos of the civil war attractions there. Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Grain Valley, eastern Independence, even Oak Grove are suburbs, some are pretty blue collar, but not really southern at all. You do get more redneck culture as you get away from the built up areas east of Blue Springs. But that's no different that Kearney or Gardner or Bonner Springs. KC is surrounded by redneck country just like almost every major metro in the country, including out here along the east coast. Rural USA is redneck no matter where you are.

IMO, the most southern area of the actual metro KC area is northern KCK. It just has this urban/rural twist with some ozarks mixed in. I can't explain it, but It's on of the weirdest cities in the county that's part of a major metro.

Now southern MO has some actual hillbilly southern culture southeast of Springfield. While Kansas has plenty of rednecks, I have not seen any hillbilly stuff there even way out the most rural areas. I have been all over rural Kansas in places most people in KC have never been. It's kind of a cool state as it has its own unique feel and some very unexpected topography once you get away from the interstates. I couldn't live there or in any other rural area, but I have enjoyed my time out there interacting with "real" Kansans.
That is because it's in the Ozarks. The hillbilly stuff is more of an product of the upland South. Notice how the Ozarks are similar to far northern Georgia, Eastern TN, Eastern KY, Western VA in the mountainous regions. People from those hilly regions helped settle the Ozarks.

Springfield has hillbillies though as does that entire region of southern Missouri, but Springfield being a growing metro area and a college town has a lot more outside influences and is urbanized. It naturally won't have as heavy of a presence as somewhere like West Plains, Mountain Home Arkansas, Ozark, MO, Neosho, Doniphan etc. I've also seen Confederate Battle Flags in the Springfield area as well on trucks and that and it's even made the news before there a couple times for teens flying it on their trucks and getting trouble in school for it.

Last time I was in Branson on the strip I must have counted 10 shops that had either Confederate flags for sale or Confederate Battle Flag themed items in the window for sale. Almost like Berlin in the 1930s with Hitlerfahnen flying from all the buildings lol. Plus they have Dixie Outfitters too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or