U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Kansas City?
Midwestern 94 61.44%
Transitional from Midwest to West 53 34.64%
Western 6 3.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:23 PM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Most of that took place in the deep south with school desegregation. You didn't hear about it much in Missouri, Texas, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee. Kentucky also never really had much of a problem and desegregated peacefully. LA, MS, AL, GA and to an extent Little Rock is where the main desegregation problems were.

I have read about some of the school districts in the bootheel didn't fully desegregate until into the late 1960s.

What is interesting is in 1976 voters got to vote to remove desegregation from the Missouri constitution and that 43 percent of voters voted to keep the wording in the constitution even thought the federal courts said it wasn't constitutional years back. I posted a map showing which counties voted to keep the wording in it. Interesting voting pattern.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...on_in_Missouri
Remove Virginia from that list above.

It was Virginia Gov. Harry Byrd who vowed "massive resistance" to integration. Granted, there was never violence in Virginia as there was in Alabama and Mississippi, nor were the troops called out as Eisenhower did in Little Rock, but one Virginia county (Prince William, I think) shut down its public school system for at least two years, and maybe more, rather than integrate. (Harvard President Drew Faust, whose field of study as a Penn history professor was the American South, grew up in the county, ISTR reading.)

Yeah, mild and genteel by Deep South standards, but still more than what went down in Missouri, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
That Wikipedia article needs some fixing, and expansion in at least one section.

The University of Missouri was established well before, not after, the Civil War. Founded in 1839, it's the oldest public university west of the Mississippi and the first to be established within the Louisiana Purchase. It became a land grant school in 1870. And the first black students enrolled at Mizzou in 1950, not "the early 1950s."

The Kansas City (Mo.) School District's decline came as much from white voters especially withdrawing their financial support as it did from them withdrawing their children. A series of school tax increases failed at the polls in the 1970s, aiding in the spiral, and the programs designed to integrate the schools were not the result of Federal grants as much as they were the product of lawsuits filed by the Kansas City Branch of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund. That section should mention that ultimately, the suits led to the School District attempting to lure white students who had moved beyond its borders (which only cover the pre-World War II city of Kansas City) through the construction of lavishly equipped high schools offering special enhanced educational programs and facilities - schools paid for by every Missourian - in the early 1990s. Those flopped as well.

And the punctuation and some of the usage needs cleaning up throughout.

Where's the map?

Old 02-05-2017, 10:36 PM

1,383 posts, read 715,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That Wikipedia article needs some fixing, and expansion in at least one section.

The University of Missouri was established well before, not after, the Civil War. Founded in 1839, it's the oldest public university west of the Mississippi and the first to be established within the Louisiana Purchase. It became a land grant school in 1870. And the first black students enrolled at Mizzou in 1950, not "the early 1950s."

The Kansas City (Mo.) School District's decline came as much from white voters especially withdrawing their financial support as it did from them withdrawing their children. A series of school tax increases failed at the polls in the 1970s, aiding in the spiral, and the programs designed to integrate the schools were not the result of Federal grants as much as they were the product of lawsuits filed by the Kansas City Branch of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund. That section should mention that ultimately, the suits led to the School District attempting to lure white students who had moved beyond its borders (which only cover the pre-World War II city of Kansas City) through the construction of lavishly equipped high schools offering special enhanced educational programs and facilities - schools paid for by every Missourian - in the early 1990s. Those flopped as well.

And the punctuation and some of the usage needs cleaning up throughout.

Where's the map?
Here it is. As expected, many of the Ozark counties in Missouri voted against removing the wording, but what is interesting is areas in Missouri north of Little Dixie on up to the Iowa border voted against it as well. Surprisingly in southeast Missouri the counties voted against it except Mississippi County. You would think they would be against it the most compared to northern Missouri. Note though southeast Missouri has a lot of rural blacks in the Delta region which can explain the voting difference as well in the bootheel compared to the more white Ozarks and northern Missouri.

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/s...off=56&elect=5

Old 02-05-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Here it is. As expected, many of the Ozark counties in Missouri voted against removing the wording, but what is interesting is areas in Missouri north of Little Dixie on up to the Iowa border voted against it as well. Surprisingly in southeast Missouri the counties voted against it except Mississippi County. You would think they would be against it the most compared to northern Missouri. Note though southeast Missouri has a lot of rural blacks in the Delta region which can explain the voting difference as well in the bootheel compared to the more white Ozarks and northern Missouri.

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/s...off=56&elect=5
Oops! You meant "voted for it except Mississippi County," it looks like.

I suspect your demographic explanation is correct.

That deep green splotch (over 70% in favor) in the middle of the state is Boone County, right?

Old 02-06-2017, 06:14 AM

1,383 posts, read 715,199 times
[quote=MarketStEl;47094206]Oops! You meant "voted for it except Mississippi County," it looks like.

I suspect your demographic explanation is correct.

That deep green splotch (over 70% in favor) in the middle of the state is Boone County, right?[/QUOTE
Yes, that's Boone County.

If that vote was taken in 1964 the results would have probably been different.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:41 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
MarketStEl. Any thoughts on how to fix the KCMOSD? You seem well educated on the district and KCMO history in general. I have had a few ideas, some of which I have posted here, but wondered if you had thought about it. It may be worth a separate thread though as I don't mean to help take this thread off topic too much, but schools came up.

Back to the topic, KCMO history is so interesting because the city has always seemed somewhat lost and out of place in both Missouri and Kansas and it's still true today.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:00 PM

991 posts, read 721,829 times
Totally Midwestern. There is absolutely nothing "western" about Kansas City, nothing.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:37 PM

5,496 posts, read 5,153,156 times
Totally Midwestern. There is absolutely nothing "western" about Kansas City, nothing.

Yep - I agree. This is a Midwestern city through and through. Baby back ribs.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Yep - I agree. This is a Midwestern city through and through. Baby back ribs.
Baby back ribs? 'Scuse me?

Which local Q joints serve those?

Old 02-12-2017, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
MarketStEl. Any thoughts on how to fix the KCMOSD? You seem well educated on the district and KCMO history in general. I have had a few ideas, some of which I have posted here, but wondered if you had thought about it. It may be worth a separate thread though as I don't mean to help take this thread off topic too much, but schools came up.

Back to the topic, KCMO history is so interesting because the city has always seemed somewhat lost and out of place in both Missouri and Kansas and it's still true today.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I haven't devoted much time or energy to the issue; the School District of Philadelphia, while in nowhere near as bad a shape as the Kansas City (Mo.) School District, needs some TLC too, and I write about Philadelphia real estate every day.

I'm generally an advocate for integrated neighborhoods as one of the keys to the solution, but mine seems to be a minority view (no pun intended).

Absent that, in the near term, I'd advocate at least a metropolitan exchange program along the lines of what operated in St. Louis for most of the 1990s and early 2000s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or