U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is Kansas City?
Midwestern 94 61.44%
Transitional from Midwest to West 53 34.64%
Western 6 3.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,158 posts, read 9,447,682 times
Reputation: 8820

Advertisements

I've driven I-70 from one end of Kansas to the other a handful of times and you don't start getting a western feel until somewhere between Salina and Hays. KC is transitional to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2017, 09:26 AM
 
4,801 posts, read 3,443,789 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
KC, MO is Midwest and KC, KS is Western...hey, it has to start somewhere
Wouldn't that be the Plains? Why should it start in Eastern Kansas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Reputation: 5415
The urban core of KC,MO and the Missouri side suburbs are Midwestern, so in general , the city is Midwestern.

However, it's almost like the transition to Western starts to happen in the KC area because the Kansas side suburbs have more of a Western feel, especially the outer suburban areas, more like suburban Denver, Phoenix etc.

Look at a map though. Most people don't realize that KC is considerably closer to the east coast than the West coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 11:17 AM
 
4,801 posts, read 3,443,789 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The urban core of KC,MO and the Missouri side suburbs are Midwestern, so in general , the city is Midwestern.

However, it's almost like the transition to Western starts to happen in the KC area because the Kansas side suburbs have more of a Western feel, especially the outer suburban areas, more like suburban Denver, Phoenix etc.

Look at a map though. Most people don't realize that KC is considerably closer to the east coast than the West coast.
When you say it is like Denver and Phoenix is it because of the type of sprawl and housing that covers a large area of the metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 PM
 
182 posts, read 122,317 times
Reputation: 171
KC is midwestern. When people think of western, they dont think of Kansas City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times
Reputation: 5415
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
When you say it is like Denver and Phoenix is it because of the type of sprawl and housing that covers a large area of the metro?
Basically, that and the topography. While Denver, Phoenix etc are close to mountains etc, much of the built up suburban parts of the metros are in very flat areas with few trees. They also have very wide and straight suburban street networks with dual and triple turn lanes, wide grassy medians etc. This is very similar to the SW suburbs of KC.

The MO side suburbs are more like what you see east of the KC area (St Louis and beyond) or around the DC area etc. More wooded areas, much more varied and more rough terrain, so roads are rarely straight for long stretches and don't have near the right of way or width. More trees, more bridges due to more rivers, bluffs, flood plains, parks and land that just can't be built on.

Kansas side homes often have more stucco which is more Western than the MO side which is more brick or siding.

There is a very different feel in south Overland Park (KS) vs northern Lees' Summit (MO). Or Olathe (KS) vs Parkville (MO). They feel like they could be 600 miles apart.

Central KCMO however is very midwestern. Historically very urban and dense, built around streetcar and cable cars and peaked in the 1920's and 1930's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
2,202 posts, read 4,002,487 times
Reputation: 1709
Some of these responses are just incredibly bizarre, IMO.

Kansas City is definitely Midwestern. It's on the Western part of the Midwest, yes, but it's solidly Midwestern and nothing else. Outer lying suburbs are definitely also Midwestern (as someone said, Kansas city is on the Eastern Half of the country anyway, and not even barely - solidly.) Those suburbs literally have nothing in common with the suburbs of Phoenix or Denver other than the fact that they have suburban sprawl, but nowadays nearly every single big city has suburbs that have suburban sprawl, so that comparison I don't think holds any water.

Kansas City greatly fits in with the solid Midwestern pack of medium size metros like St. Louis, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati. All of them are unique, but they all feel like they are in the Midwest.

The only city that I consider to be a "transitional" city into the West is Denver.

I consider cities and counties in the "Plains" area to be much closer to Midwestern than Western, with their own unique culture and feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 12:59 PM
 
1,709 posts, read 1,566,718 times
Reputation: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What felt Western about it to you?

Does KC have some kind of High Plains cowboy culture? Could KC fit in Colorado or Wyoming? Or maybe it could be in Utah?
I think the BBQ and emphasized presence of beef in local food (KC used to be a major stockyard/meatpacking center, which apart from its presence in Chicago was considered a very "Western" industry) gives the city a Western flair that you don't see in other Midwestern cities, sans Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 01:06 PM
 
4,801 posts, read 3,443,789 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I think the BBQ and emphasized presence of beef in local food (KC used to be a major stockyard/meatpacking center, which apart from its presence in Chicago was considered a very "Western" industry) gives the city a Western flair that you don't see in other Midwestern cities, sans Omaha.
You do know that KC BBQ came from the South, right? From Blacks in the South. That is very much a non-Western trait.

Also, what about pork in Cincinnati? How Western is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 01:07 PM
 
8,645 posts, read 8,781,877 times
Reputation: 5185
Western, historically it was a the northern end of the cattle drives. Ranching is western, Farming is eastern.
Missouri River really isn't navigable at KC most other major inland Eastern Cities cities are on navigable rivers or the Great Lakes (Buffalo, Detriot, Cincinnati, St Louis, Memphis, Chicago, St Paul). There are a few newer boom towns not on navigable water bodies like Atlanta or Charlotte, but no historically major cities. Most western cities Denver, Dallas, Des Moines, Omaha, Phoenix are not on water. It's really distinctly different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top