U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Kansas City?
Midwestern 94 61.44%
Transitional from Midwest to West 53 34.64%
Western 6 3.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 12:38 AM

3,672 posts, read 1,780,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I also include the western sections of the High Plains as part of the western US as well. The western Dakotas west of the Missouri river, western Nebraska, and western Kansas. They don't have anything in common with the Midwest, and certainly not the eastern US.

Yes, I pretty much agree about the cities of Lawrence and Manhattan, KS, and the like. There isn't much else west of Manhattan in Kansas mentionable. Denver begins the western U.S. to me.
I'd probably draw the line at Interstate 135/US 81, which heads due north from Wichita and meets I-70 at Salina, the last community of any size that you pass through in Kansas headed west from Kansas City to Denver.

Between Manhattan/Junction City and it is Abilene, the Chisholm Trail head and Eisenhower hometown. But by then you've already left the Flint Hills and entered the vast flat expanse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 08:51 AM

4,801 posts, read 3,453,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I also include the western sections of the High Plains as part of the western US as well. The western Dakotas west of the Missouri river, western Nebraska, and western Kansas. They don't have anything in common with the Midwest, and certainly not the eastern US.
I think the Great Plains are the true beginning of the West. KC being not a Plains city makes it not Western.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:45 PM

5,505 posts, read 5,172,985 times
I think we can all agree that Kansas City is not in the Western U.S. Just where the west begins is the thing we don't seem to know. I still say Denver is the starting point of the west.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I think we can all agree that Kansas City is not in the Western U.S. Just where the west begins is the thing we don't seem to know. I still say Denver is the starting point of the west.
We can *all* agree?

The poll and the replies show otherwise.

Especially if you ask someone from Ohio. KC might as well be Bakersfield to them.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:48 PM

3,672 posts, read 1,780,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
We can *all* agree?

The poll and the replies show otherwise.

Especially if you ask someone from Ohio. KC might as well be Bakersfield to them.
Shoot, I don't even agree with your statement that KC is not a Plains city.

It's not a *High* Plains city, true - about the only one of those I can think of MIGHT be Lubbock, Texas. The High Plains climate is simply too arid to support a large city, and the farms we now have on that land are draining the huge aquifer beneath them as it is.

But I'd always understood the "Great Plains" as commonly defined to encompass the low rolling hills of the Missouri and Kansas river valleys as well, not to mention most of the territory covered by that ice sheet that pushed the Missouri southward. Iowa and Minnesota are also Plains states by this definition, as is Missouri, though about half the state is not in the Great Plains.

There used to be a motel on old US 71 (now I-29) about halfway to KCI called the Great Plains Motor Lodge.

Edited to add: Wikipedia, however, says I'm wrong, sort of. According to the map on the Wikipedia article, the Great Plains begin at Kansas City and include the Kansas side of the metro.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:55 PM

20,184 posts, read 34,528,325 times
Quote:
I think the Great Plains are the true beginning of the West. KC being not a Plains city makes it not Western.
Population density certainly thins out quickly west of KC in parts of the Flint Hills region. Several counties now fit under the "frontier status" of seven or fewer people per square mile. Frontier counties tend to be overwhelmingly concentrated in the western US with few exceptions, although there are some counties east of the Mississippi River that are very rural that could reach that threshold shortly within the decade. The counties closest to KC that have frontier level population densities include: Chase, Woodson, Greenwood, Elk, Morris, and Chautauqua- mostly in the Flint Hills region. Wabaunsee county is slightly above that threshold at this time.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Shoot, I don't even agree with your statement that KC is not a Plains city.

It's not a *High* Plains city, true - about the only one of those I can think of MIGHT be Lubbock, Texas. The High Plains climate is simply too arid to support a large city, and the farms we now have on that land are draining the huge aquifer beneath them as it is.

But I'd always understood the "Great Plains" as commonly defined to encompass the low rolling hills of the Missouri and Kansas river valleys as well, not to mention most of the territory covered by that ice sheet that pushed the Missouri southward. Iowa and Minnesota are also Plains states by this definition, as is Missouri, though about half the state is not in the Great Plains.

There used to be a motel on old US 71 (now I-29) about halfway to KCI called the Great Plains Motor Lodge.

Edited to add: Wikipedia, however, says I'm wrong, sort of. According to the map on the Wikipedia article, the Great Plains begin at Kansas City and include the Kansas side of the metro.
Looks like the metro of KCK is in the Plains though. Some maps have the Great Plains start in Kansas, some halfway through Kansas, so it gets confusing. With this in mind I can see how people would think of a Western type of feel in KC.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:33 PM

9,137 posts, read 11,684,836 times
Quote:
I have heard it said by people around the Eastern edge of the Midwest and the Southeast that Kansas City has more of a Western vibe than Midwestern. I find this an odd notion considering Kansas City is almost right in the middle of everything, with influences from all directions thus making it a TRUE Midwest city (I mean you're practically as far from the Atlantic and the Pacific).

For me, the transition to the West begins in the Great Plains. Not in Kansas City or even anywhere in Missouri. We can say places like Rapid City are transitional Midwest to West cities but KC to me is the Midwest and as Midwest as it gets.

Kansas City Des Moines and Omaha are all Midwestern cities.

I would say the western cities are Tucson Albuquerque El Paso Texas and Amarillo Texas.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 PM

1,394 posts, read 722,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Kansas City Des Moines and Omaha are all Midwestern cities.

I would say the western cities are Tucson Albuquerque El Paso Texas and Amarillo Texas.
True. El Paso is more southwestern though but that can also be included in the west. Amarillo is western but also seems to have some Midwestern influences too due to being not far from Oklahoma.

We talk about how Missouri has a lot of influences, Midwestern, western, eastern (some call stl eastern influences) then you have the southeast area of the state that has deep south influences such as the bootheel, then the Ozarks which are upper south in parts of Missouri but Texas has a lot too. You have the eastern part of the state that is southern, then parts like El Paso are southwestern and parts of south texas that have a lot of Mexican influence due to the high number of hispanics. Texas is another state that has a diverse culture depending on what area of the state you're in.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:48 AM

5,505 posts, read 5,172,985 times
One of Missouri's gems are the Ozarks. I went to college in Rolla, MO, and, you know, that place has a southern influence to it. Very mellow little town. I was born in Seattle but I'm happy ta be in Missouri. Kansas City has been a nice discovery.

I know many snobs from the Seattle area who would put KC down. They're missing out. I'm thinking of retiring here in Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or