U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Kansas City?
Midwestern 94 61.44%
Transitional from Midwest to West 53 34.64%
Western 6 3.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:27 AM

323 posts, read 218,034 times

Advertisements

I have always thought of KC as being the beginning of the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 AM

20,170 posts, read 34,488,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
I have always thought of KC as being the beginning of the west.
Its climate is almost entirely similar to the eastern US, though- especially in terms of annual precipitation amounts.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:16 AM

4,801 posts, read 3,441,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I've come to the conclusion that most KC region locals assume that they don't have accents either, until they start traveling to many different areas of the country. Most of the Midwest has the northern cities vowel shift accent, (Great Lakes region). This extends westward into portions of Minnesota and eastern Iowa as well. Many would argue the I-80 corridor is a key delineation line between mostly neutral accents with some northern influences, whereas the I-70 corridor is more mixed overall. The Ohio Valley is somewhat similar to KC in this regard as well. The Northwoods has a mixture of the northern cities vowel shift combined with the Canadian raising of vowel sounds as well. This is more common in rural areas, the Twin Cities metro area has some of that mixed in, but is fading with younger generations.
Most of the Midwest does not have NCVS

Old 01-22-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Most of the Midwest does not have NCVS
The largest cities in the Midwest that have the most population often tend to have it in various components. See Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, etc.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
The largest cities in the Midwest that have the most population often tend to have it in various components. See Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, etc.
That's not most of the Midwest. Larger city centers exist outside of those anyway.

Most of the Midwest is covered by the Midland dialects.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
That's not most of the Midwest. Larger city centers exist outside of those anyway.

Most of the Midwest is covered by the Midland dialects.
Most in terms of geographical area, but not in total population as a whole.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Most in terms of geographical area, but not in total population as a whole.
How so? Are we including the entire states of Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin as part of this? Because in none of those states does NCVS predominate. Even Michigan the most NCVS influenced state after New York isn't fully NCVS speaking (the entire UP has its own dialect and it extends slightly into the Northern LP).

Old 01-23-2017, 05:27 AM

Even if we do suppose that some kind of slight drawl exists in KC, wouldn't that preclude being Western? I mean as far as I know wasn't the South the smallest influence on the West compared to the Midwest and the the Northeast? I feel like the Western states have way less Southern influence than even some Midwestern regions.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Even if we do suppose that some kind of slight drawl exists in KC, wouldn't that preclude being Western? I mean as far as I know wasn't the South the smallest influence on the West compared to the Midwest and the the Northeast? I feel like the Western states have way less Southern influence than even some Midwestern regions.
KC's drawl is very minimal, but it's there. I can tell pretty easily after living on the east coast for a while and when I lived in KC, people visiting from the west or east coast would mention that KC does have a slight drawl.

KC is still not western though. The city is Midwestern and if anything would lean eastern more than western.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 AM

5,498 posts, read 5,158,157 times
KC is still not western though. The city is Midwestern and if anything would lean eastern more than western.

This. ^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or