U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Kansas City?
Midwestern 94 61.44%
Transitional from Midwest to West 53 34.64%
Western 6 3.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2017, 09:18 AM

204 posts, read 182,105 times

Advertisements

Kansas City is like the most southwestern city of the northeastern quadrant of the us, which includes the Midwest. Given that it is the most southwest, it does have some western and southern influences but is still primarily influenced by the northeast/Midwest. It had Baseball before the big expansions of the 60's. It had a history that goes back to the turn of the previous century, as it had the Democratic convention of 1900. Most Western cities were small towns in the 1890's and would not have even thought of having a major party conventions. Once you go west or south of KC however, you hit Denver/Tulsa/Oklahoma City or Dallas, none of which have an eastern component or were connected the Northeast pre WWI.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:50 AM

4,801 posts, read 3,436,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KC's drawl is very minimal, but it's there. I can tell pretty easily after living on the east coast for a while and when I lived in KC, people visiting from the west or east coast would mention that KC does have a slight drawl.

KC is still not western though. The city is Midwestern and if anything would lean eastern more than western.
I feel like KC has more Southern influences than other Missouri large cities (because obviously Springfield, New Madrid, and Branson are just Southern and places like Cape Girardeau and Rolla while more Southern than KC are transitional).

To me, being Southern influenced can take away from a "Western" feel. Maybe more Southern influenced on the Missouri side and Western lite beginnings on the Kansas side. I think the fact that KC is known for jazz and barbecue (very culturally Southeastern items) definitely makes it less Western and those are things of the Eastern part of the country. Nothing like Count Basie really came out of the West at that time. But I definitely will not discount the Southern influence on KC especially when you consider that the things it's most famous for are Southern.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:28 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I feel like KC has more Southern influences than other Missouri large cities (because obviously Springfield, New Madrid, and Branson are just Southern and places like Cape Girardeau and Rolla while more Southern than KC are transitional).

To me, being Southern influenced can take away from a "Western" feel. Maybe more Southern influenced on the Missouri side and Western lite beginnings on the Kansas side. I think the fact that KC is known for jazz and barbecue (very culturally Southeastern items) definitely makes it less Western and those are things of the Eastern part of the country. Nothing like Count Basie really came out of the West at that time. But I definitely will not discount the Southern influence on KC especially when you consider that the things it's most famous for are Southern.
St Louis is more southern than KC. Explain that

Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
St Louis is more southern than KC. Explain that
By latitude maybe but not so much by culture. What is so Southern about St. Louis culture?

Old 01-23-2017, 12:02 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
By latitude maybe but not so much by culture. What is so Southern about St. Louis culture?
I would not call St Louis southern, but it has some southern characteristics. The river history there for one. It's very similar to Memphis and New Orleans. You can tell St Louis is much more attached to the southern and boot heel portions of MO than KC is especially in the southern parts of the metro.

I'm not very good at explaining why, but having extensively traveled the country and lived in both StL and KC, I personally think StL is considerably more southern than KC. Just as it's considerably more eastern than KC.

Geographically, StL is sort of out of place. It's more eastern than many major cities east of it like Indy and Columbus. St Louis is much more like Baltimore than most midwest cities and Baltimore has some southern characteristics too despite it being pretty far north as well. StL is also pretty far north, but culturally reminds me a lot of Memphis, Louisville and New Orleans.

KC has very little in common with StL culturally. KC is the big city for northern and western Missouri, which is not really southern at all. St Louis is the big city for mid, south, southeast and eastern MO which is the "southern" part of the state.

Also, while I like StL and in many cases prefer it over KC mainly because I hate the KS side sprawl and suburban topography of KC and prefer the built environment of metro StL, the metro is more blue collar and even has a more "white trash" element IMO where KC is more white collar. Royals fans are classy compared to the loud and obnoxious idiots from St Charles and Jefferson County that call themselves the best fans in the world. Speaking of Jefferson County, spend some time there and tell me StL is not at least somewhat southern.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-23-2017 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 12:30 PM

1,298 posts, read 982,763 times
Quote:
Springfield is more southern than Cape Girardeau? That's hilarious.

I live in Springfield, and I suppose the city surprises some people. It's definitely got a bit of twang, both by virtue of our latitude, and being a "gateway to the Ozark hills". But I think the best way to understand Springfield is to imagine if Wichita and Little Rock had a baby. But we're more of a college town than either of those, which helps us to feel a bit bigger and a bit more cosmopolitan than we really are. We're also way less diverse than Little Rock.

Cape Girardeau, on the other hand, is pretty damn southern.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Oh boy. Is this gonna be another St. Louis is really in the South thread? Jeez people St. Louis is the least Southern area in Missouri and has more common with Chicago than it does with the rest of the state. It is an island that doesn't share much in common with its own state.

Plus I also know of not one Southern city or even Southern influenced city that has a Chicago influenced accent. Listen to Yogi Berra. Is he Southern??? People like him don't exist in Baltimore or Louisville or even Cincinnati.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:52 PM

1,383 posts, read 715,199 times
Quote:
Oh boy. Is this gonna be another St. Louis is really in the South thread? Jeez people St. Louis is the least Southern area in Missouri and has more common with Chicago than it does with the rest of the state. It is an island that doesn't share much in common with its own state.

Plus I also know of not one Southern city or even Southern influenced city that has a Chicago influenced accent. Listen to Yogi Berra. Is he Southern??? People like him don't exist in Baltimore or Louisville or even Cincinnati.
St. Louis was once a border to southern city. It was once called the northern most Confederate post too.

Today it is not a southern city. There are still some slight southern influences left however though but not enough to put it in the transition zone that starts south of the city. Okay Yogi, one person, so big deal.

The Veiled Prophet Ball also has some southern characteristic roots as well.

Veiled Prophet Ball.

While St. Louis has similarities to Chicago, it still is a lower Midwestern city and is not upper Midwestern like Chicago.

Mad dad lived there for 6 months in the late 70s and said there are some similarities, however it was still quite different in a lot of ways and ended up not taking the job and liked St. Louis better.

And most of Missouri is very rural so I would expect St. Louis not to have much in common with it and more in common with Chicago, a major city anyway.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Springfield is more southern than Cape Girardeau? That's hilarious.

I live in Springfield, and I suppose the city surprises some people. It's definitely got a bit of twang, both by virtue of our latitude, and being a "gateway to the Ozark hills". But I think the best way to understand Springfield is to imagine if Wichita and Little Rock had a baby. But we're more of a college town than either of those, which helps us to feel a bit bigger and a bit more cosmopolitan than we really are. We're also way less diverse than Little Rock.

Cape Girardeau, on the other hand, is pretty damn southern.
I agree. Someone on here says Cape feels more southern in the summer months when the out of town students are gone.

Springfield overall leans more southern than Midwestern though imo overall. It is literally right on the line from the transition zone to southern. IMO northwestern Arkansas, Northeast Oklahoma, and southwest Missouri have influences from the great plains aka similarities to Wichita as well as you described for springfield. The region leans southern but has noticeable plains influence in it that you don't see in the deep south or southeast or south central Missouri. Small towns with large universities like Fayetteville Arkansas, Springfield MO see to have outside influences that make it feel a little different than surrounding areas.

Wichita also is in that transition zone too but doesn't have a strong as southern influence as southern Missouri.

I do see a lot of people with Confederate flags on their trucks, decals etc. in that area of Missouri though and down in the Ozarks a lot though, more so than southeast Missouri where you think it would be more common.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I would not call St Louis southern, but it has some southern characteristics. The river history there for one. It's very similar to Memphis and New Orleans. You can tell St Louis is much more attached to the southern and boot heel portions of MO than KC is especially in the southern parts of the metro.

I'm not very good at explaining why, but having extensively traveled the country and lived in both StL and KC, I personally think StL is considerably more southern than KC. Just as it's considerably more eastern than KC.

Geographically, StL is sort of out of place. It's more eastern than many major cities east of it like Indy and Columbus. St Louis is much more like Baltimore than most midwest cities and Baltimore has some southern characteristics too despite it being pretty far north as well. StL is also pretty far north, but culturally reminds me a lot of Memphis, Louisville and New Orleans.

KC has very little in common with StL culturally. KC is the big city for northern and western Missouri, which is not really southern at all. St Louis is the big city for mid, south, southeast and eastern MO which is the "southern" part of the state.

Also, while I like StL and in many cases prefer it over KC mainly because I hate the KS side sprawl and suburban topography of KC and prefer the built environment of metro StL, the metro is more blue collar and even has a more "white trash" element IMO where KC is more white collar. Royals fans are classy compared to the loud and obnoxious idiots from St Charles and Jefferson County that call themselves the best fans in the world. Speaking of Jefferson County, spend some time there and tell me StL is not at least somewhat southern.
I won't deny there are not some traces of it's southern past left in St. Louis, but it's just not enough to put it in the transition zone that starts south of the city and I lived in South County btw for years.

Once you get into Jefferson County, Franklin County is where it GRADUALLY the transition zone starts to pick up and very gradual. Even though the ancestry is similar to St. Louis there is some gradual influences that start picking up because you're geographically getting closer to areas that are southern. Go southwest on highway 44 and when you live stl county it starts a very gradual process the transition zone.

As most agree on here the transition zone starts at around highway 50. The north end of the transition zone leans more Midwestern than southern of course and the influences pick up the further south you go. My dad was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood in the late 60s and said outside of town there is very noticeable southern influences. Again that's pretty far south in Missouri though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or