Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 01:18 PM

68 posts, read 58,910 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently moved to NWA from Atlanta (by way of Texas). We like NWA, but aren't sure if we LOVE it. We really do miss some of the amenities you get living in a big city. Have any of you lived in NWA and can give me a full picture of what it is like to live in NWA vs. KC? We both have received job offers in KC and are considering a move there, despite only having lived in NWA for a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 01:54 PM

495 posts, read 777,871 times
Never lived there for an extended period, but my parents have a lake house at Beaver Lake. I like Fayetteville since it's a college town, but the Rogers area, not so much. I like going down there 3-4 times a year, but after 4-5 days I'm ready to get back to civilization. Beautiful area and fun to camp, hike, boat, whatever, but I don't think I could live there, just has a backwards feel after a while. To me it's a fun place to get away for a while but unless you love the Razorbacks, it would be hard to adjust to.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:26 PM

131 posts, read 184,936 times
Some boat and experience as shindig. Never lived there, but have family who lives there and its nice for a couple of days but the size and politics outside of Fayetteville start to wear on you a little. Recreation (biking, kayaking jogging etc wise, i'd say Fayetteville is better than KC, but little else. I say give it a visit. The individuals I know who've moved here from Atlanta and NWA have all enjoyed themselves.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:02 PM

I don't have any ties to the Razorbacks and are not really outdoorsy types. I really do miss being in civilization and it seems like sometimes, although NWA is beautiful, it is missing a lot of what I am used to living in a big city. I am planning a trip to KC in a few weeks. We would be looking for a home in the 400-500k range. Will that get you very far in KC?

Old 09-04-2017, 07:04 PM

I'd like to add that we are in Fayetteville and my husband and I are pretty liberal and still find Fay to be pretty conservative. Is KC more liberal or conservative?

Old 09-04-2017, 08:33 PM

709 posts, read 1,491,947 times
Political leanings can run the gamut, but overall, the KC Metro is fairly balanced and moderate. The city, particularly in the urban areas is quite liberal. The suburbs generally range from moderate to rather conservative. The rural areas outside the metro are far right.

400-500k will get you a nice home in KC. Real estate costs are probably higher than NWA, but less than Atlanta.

With out knowing what you're looking for, here is a random smattering of current listings in that range in some popular areas.

Here is one in the Brookside neighborhood, one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city, so you probably get the least for your money of just about anywhere in KC.

Here is one in Central Hyde Park, another urban neighborhood where you will get a little more for your money.

If you want new construction in the suburbs, here is one in the southern portion of the popular suburb of Overland Park.

And if you are looking for an older, inner-ring suburb, here is one in Prairie Village.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 21,961 times
Also, new to NWA living in Fayetteville almost 2 years now coming from Michigan. I find it very isolating as there are no middle/big city amenities, airport is very expensive, and no shopping! The people here are very nice but it feels like a "stick your head in the sand" type of community, if you know what I mean by that. Did I mention, no shopping! Also, the wages here are very low. I will say that Fayetteville is the my favorite area of the NWA area. It's has more of a hypie college town feel. Bentonville is basically Walmartville, Rogers is jam packed and I found the most unfriendly area, and Springdale is like Little Mexico with chickens.

We are looking to relocate and also looking at this area (among other cities such as Minneapolis, Boise, Detroit, Nashville), Overland Park to be exact. It will be so nice to be among civilization again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City