U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:10 AM

5,498 posts, read 5,158,157 times

Advertisements

For me, as a single person with no kids and not concerned about schools, it's really a wash between here and JoCo. I choose to live up here because it's very close to work and I avoid double taxation by living and working in MO. But I will say that controlling for those things, I would probably choose OP all things considered because it would be nice to be closer to Whole Foods and REI and JoCo has better restaurants overall than up here, even though traffic is far worse in JoCo than anywhere else in the metro. But really, the best part of the metro is the downtown area IMO.

We rent a house in Grandview and I work in Lenexa. I found rent ta be lower for houses in Grandview, or I would've chosen somewhere closer to my work. Somewhere in Johnson County, for sure. OP is expensive to my wife and I. I don't understand how so many people can afford those McMansions in both Overlad Park and Lenexa! We shop in Overland Park and Leawood and Martin City and Grandview. Abundant shopping opportunities in the KC Metro. But for the ambience of the large city, downtown KC is the bomb.

Indeed, you're in the coolest place in the KC Metro. When we discovered the Country Club Plaza last summer, it was like, YEAH! Also, Crossroads is a cool music venue. Downtown Kansas City is cool - I want to learn more about it as we stay here in the KC Metro!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 03:55 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
For me, as a single person with no kids and not concerned about schools, it's really a wash between here and JoCo. I choose to live up here because it's very close to work and I avoid double taxation by living and working in MO. But I will say that controlling for those things, I would probably choose OP all things considered because it would be nice to be closer to Whole Foods and REI and JoCo has better restaurants overall than up here, even though traffic is far worse in JoCo than anywhere else in the metro. But really, the best part of the metro is the downtown area IMO.

We rent a house in Grandview and I work in Lenexa. I found rent ta be lower for houses in Grandview, or I would've chosen somewhere closer to my work. Somewhere in Johnson County, for sure. OP is expensive to my wife and I. I don't understand how so many people can afford those McMansions in both Overlad Park and Lenexa! We shop in Overland Park and Leawood and Martin City and Grandview. Abundant shopping opportunities in the KC Metro. But for the ambience of the large city, downtown KC is the bomb.

Indeed, you're in the coolest place in the KC Metro. When we discovered the Country Club Plaza last summer, it was like, YEAH! Also, Crossroads is a cool music venue. Downtown Kansas City is cool - I want to learn more about it as we stay here in the KC Metro!
But again, Grandview vs Lenexa. Not really apples to apples. Grandview is fine. It's a working class modest suburb, but it's not an affluent suburb. Lenexa is far more affluent than Grandview and more comparable to Lee's Summit or Shoal Creek, Parkville, Tiffany Springs etc. Even the older parts of Lenexa would be more affluent than Grandview and comparable to Blue Springs, Liberty etc.

Grandview would compare more to KCK west of 635 on the KS side.

So yea, rents will be more in Lenexa compared to Grandview.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:08 PM

So my direction for finding a rental was simple: look in lower cost areas. So I did. And we like our rental home and, to me, a 25-minute commute is easy as apple pie. Without the ice cream, but, ya can't have it all, all the time, eh? Grandview is fine. It suits us fine for renting.

Now, buying a house in the KC Metro? Not in Grandview. Probably.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
So my direction for finding a rental was simple: look in lower cost areas. So I did. And we like our rental home and, to me, a 25-minute commute is easy as apple pie. Without the ice cream, but, ya can't have it all, all the time, eh? Grandview is fine. It suits us fine for renting.

Now, buying a house in the KC Metro? Not in Grandview. Probably.
Grandview is fine. I have always said that everybody can't or simply do no want to live in the newest and most affluent suburbs. My parents still live in a very nice, but modest 120k home Raytown and they probably have a million dollars in the bank right now. Others choose these areas because it's fit's their income better like you said. Not everybody cares about trying to Keep Up with the Joneses so areas like Raytown, Grandview, Independence etc have tens of thousands of good families in nice homes even if they are not mcmansions.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:31 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Grandview is fine. I have always said that everybody can't or simply do no want to live in the newest and most affluent suburbs. My parents still live in a very nice, but modest 120k home Raytown and they probably have a million dollars in the bank right now. Others choose these areas because it's fit's their income better like you said. Not everybody cares about trying to Keep Up with the Joneses so areas like Raytown, Grandview, Independence etc have tens of thousands of good families in nice homes even if they are not mcmansions.

As if everyone in Johnson County lives in a McMansion and is interested in keeping up with the Joneses. Most of the houses in Joco are NOT McMansions.

There are modest houses all over Johnson County, intermixed with McMansions and a lot of in between houses. I like living in an affluent suburb. People take care of their property and crime is low and schools are good. It works for me.

I know people who live in Raytown. I don't want to live there. If I could choose a $120,000 house in Raytown or slightly more expensive house ($150,000) in Johnson County, I'd pick Johnson County.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
As if everyone in Johnson County lives in a McMansion and is interested in keeping up with the Joneses. Most of the houses in Joco are NOT McMansions.

There are modest houses all over Johnson County, intermixed with McMansions and a lot of in between houses. I like living in an affluent suburb. People take care of their property and crime is low and schools are good. It works for me.

I know people who live in Raytown. I don't want to live there. If I could choose a $120,000 house in Raytown or slightly more expensive house ($150,000) in Johnson County, I'd pick Johnson County.
which is why I said "newest and most affluent suburbs". This is generally most of JoCo outside of 435 plus portions of Olathe and the suburbs north of 435 near state line.

Yes, much of JoCo inside of 435, north of 103rd and west of Mission, most of Olathe, Gardner etc are relatively modest and would compare to areas like older parts of Lee's Summit, Liberty, Blue Springs, Gladstone etc.

However, even though this part of JoCo is relatively modest, it's still going to cost more for the same home vs Grandview because of better schools, better shopping and better access to central KCMO culture. Older more modest areas of JoCo compare very well to older areas of Platte and Clay counties as well as older areas of Lee's Summit and Blue Springs.

Grandview is on a lower tier. They would compare to Raytown (which should not be confused with areas like Ruskin or Hickman Mills which have much higher crime problems). Grandview would also compare to some parts of Olathe west of I-35, most of KCK between 635 and 435, western and southern Independence and parts of Roeland Park, Mission, Merriam and eastern Shawnee.

After about 20 years of slight decline, Grandview is seeing a lot of new investment today and is seeing new homes and apartments, new retail and that huge new soccer facility is going in there. They are seeing a pretty nice comeback.

Lowest tier suburbs = Hickman Mills, Ruskin, Northern Independence, Sugar Creek, KCK east of 635 etc.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-31-2017 at 10:55 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 11:09 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Location, location, location. Great schools, low crime.
Yep, the people complaining otherwise keep caveating "upscale" which of course I don't agree with since those are typically older people without kids.

Heck, I was recently eyeballing downtown MO condos for the distant future.

So, ironically pointing out that there are huge apartment value differences for the working class because of a desire for better schooling is somehow trolling?

And the rebuttal is that the wealthier people that likely used private schools in the past are some sort of default excuse?

Wow. Let's face it most of the people that can't afford to put their kids in private schools and thus pay more to rent in JOCO are doing so for a reason and the stats bear it out.....but sure, rich dinks and retirees sure love the Plaza etc. just like I would now that my kids don't need further highschool (and lower) education.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:09 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
which is why I said "newest and most affluent suburbs". This is generally most of JoCo outside of 435 plus portions of Olathe and the suburbs north of 435 near state line.

Yes, much of JoCo inside of 435, north of 103rd and west of Mission, most of Olathe, Gardner etc are relatively modest and would compare to areas like older parts of Lee's Summit, Liberty, Blue Springs, Gladstone etc.

However, even though this part of JoCo is relatively modest, it's still going to cost more for the same home vs Grandview because of better schools, better shopping and better access to central KCMO culture. Older more modest areas of JoCo compare very well to older areas of Platte and Clay counties as well as older areas of Lee's Summit and Blue Springs.

Grandview is on a lower tier. They would compare to Raytown (which should not be confused with areas like Ruskin or Hickman Mills which have much higher crime problems). Grandview would also compare to some parts of Olathe west of I-35, most of KCK between 635 and 435, western and southern Independence and parts of Roeland Park, Mission, Merriam and eastern Shawnee.

After about 20 years of slight decline, Grandview is seeing a lot of new investment today and is seeing new homes and apartments, new retail and that huge new soccer facility is going in there. They are seeing a pretty nice comeback.

Lowest tier suburbs = Hickman Mills, Ruskin, Northern Independence, Sugar Creek, KCK east of 635 etc.
No, I am saying what you call the newest, most affluent areas of Johnson County aren't even filled with McMansions. No, it's not Grandview. But it's not Beverly Hills or San Diego either.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 PM

General definition of McMansions is not Beverly Hills. It's most of the upper bracket new homes you see going up in both the MO and KS suburbs. Trust me, I don't think any part of JoCo is anything remotely like Beverly Hills or the affluent parts of suburban San Diego. You know I think JoCo is extremely overrated on a national scale. It's average to above average for the midwest, but most coastal cities have suburbs that blow it away.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:22 AM

OTOH - the Mrs. and I spotted a home for sale in Grandview yesterday and pulled a flyer outta the box ta read about it. IIRC it was a 2BD, 1BA home with a 1-car garage and nicely-done front porch deck. It is stick frame but does resemble slightly a manufactured home. I am going by sight and I would guess a manufactured home wouldn't be allowed here in this section of town. The flier didn't include pics of the inside, but I'll bet if I Google the home I could get those pics pretty easily.

Anyway, I picked up the flyer and looked at it. My wife and I had two friends in the car at the time. I saw the price - and just for fun asked everyone what they thought this house was going for. The first guess was $129,900. Second guess was $99,900 or something like that. I said "nope" ta both of those guesses and they wanted ta know if the guesses were high or low. I said "too high."

The asking price? $69,000. Now, the Mrs. and I are not sure if we want ta buy in the KC Metro or not right now. We're smack dab in the middle of a 1-yr. lease right now. This house has pretty much been for sale for the 5 1/2 mo.'s we've been here. But, looking at the outside of the house, this deal looks fairly attractive. The commute to my Lenexa job takes me around 25 minutes, and that doesn't bother me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or