U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:04 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times

Advertisements

I had a friend recently looking into rents in the area and was shocked by the difference.

Now sure, they're super cheap in KC Ks but that's because it's mostly a craphole.

However, the places around me in Lenexa are wayyyy more expensive the the places over on the MO side.

Is that because the MO schools are horrible?

That's the reason I keep hearing but is that accurate?

Maybe it's not the schools but the drug usage among their students etc?

Anyway, just curious what could drop rents 40% within the metro among equvialent properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 09:08 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
cut

It's simple. It's because you are not comparing apples to apples obviously.

If you compare an actual similar apartment project in say Lenexa or Shawnee to Tiffany Springs area of KCMO or Lee's Summit. Similar suburban areas, the rates would be similar.

If you compare something in Overland park to something in Southeast KCMO, the rates will be much lower in SE KCMO because it's a higher crime area and the apartments will not be the same caliber. New class A apartments in a suburban area are more expensive then older class C apartments with less amenities in an area with struggling schools etc. Duhh.

Compare KCK apartments to Northland or the Plaza. What happens. Oh my gosh, apartments are much cheaper in Kansas than Missouri!

Rates for apartments in similar suburban areas are pretty close to the same across the metro. Overland Park does have more upscale suburban apartments than the rest of the metro by quantity, but there are similar properties in the MO suburbs such as Briarcliff, Shoal Creek, the I-29 corridor, Lee's Summit etc.

and lastly, the highest rates for apartments in metro KC are not in Kansas at all, but in Downtown and Plaza areas of KCMO and the new projects opening in 2017 and later will have rents considerably higher than the KC market has seen yet. These are areas within the KCMO School district which you seem think covers the entire MO side of the city and metro.

modcut

Old 01-29-2017, 10:25 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Location, location, location. Great schools, low crime.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:21 PM

473 posts, read 283,838 times
The cheap areas have too many kids acting like thugs after the YMCAs closed in 2013. Is called 'gang stalking' to go up to new residents who didn't know area when they signed lease and threaten them and see what they do. If you don't answer the kids or just say 'I just moved here to work', you get to be okay but many still buy out of lease early as neighborhood will be intense, stupid if alone....If you get defensive, I don't think you will live there very long. Even the military people get scared away from Leavenworth's problems btw....WALK AROUND NEIGHBORHOOD GOOD DURING EVENING THE NIGHT BEFORE YOU VIEW AN APARTMENT, WALK AROUND THE APARTMENT COMPLEX WITH THE RESIDENTS HOME AND TALK TO PEOPLE. If anyone says anything nutty or threatening, you need to leave it and forget KC. YOu may be able to live WAY outside KC and just commute into a telecommute job & be safe, but you were forewarned.

This stuff wasn't happening in Overland Park, Lenexa or Olathe while I lived there. AFter living there a year myself, I think Lees Summit or Parkville MO are about the same prices as areas don't let the kids mess with the adults as much.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:11 AM

677 posts, read 1,146,024 times
Why are the most expensive rents in the metro in downtown KCMO?

And why is your post such obvious trolling? Why haven't the mods deleted it yet?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:22 AM

8,798 posts, read 9,623,537 times
Its because of the type of people who are moving to the area. JOCO is mostly familyville and that's who's moving there. Most of the single young hipsters still prefer Lawrence or KCMO over familyville.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:30 AM

290 posts, read 230,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I had a friend recently looking into rents in the area and was shocked by the difference.

Now sure, they're super cheap in KC Ks but that's because it's mostly a craphole.

However, the places around me in Lenexa are wayyyy more expensive the the places over on the MO side.

Is that because the MO schools are horrible?

That's the reason I keep hearing but is that accurate?

Maybe it's not the schools but the drug usage among their students etc?

Anyway, just curious what could drop rents 40% within the metro among equvialent properties.
This has likely been stated already, but Johnson County apartments unless they're of a similar luxury level are quite cheaper than anything you will find in the downtown and Plaza area. Midtown will likely rise too. If this was some sort of weird troll post, hopefully my response has still been edifying.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:45 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
I just ran some crosschecking of high end apartments in the Northland (Briarcliff, Tiffany Springs, Tom Watson Parkway, 152 corridor etc to similar new properties in southern Overland Park and western Lenexa. Prices were very similar per sq ft. OP does have "more" high end apartments than most of the metro, but that's only because it's a corporate suburb with a lot of office parks. The Northland is more single family residential like JoCo outside of OP.

I could say that apartments actually cost more in the MO suburbs since they are actually quite cheap in areas like Merriam, Mission, Lenexa inside of 435 and much of Olathe, but that would be about as silly as this thread. You have to compare similar properties in similar areas. Compare Raytown, Independence etc to KCK, Roeland Park etc and you will get similar numbers.

And downtown rents are much higher than most apartments in suburbs on both sides of state line. Downtown has many income restricted places, but the high end stuff is way higher than maybe a handful of suburban properties and downtown rents are skyrocketing right now. Most of new projects under construction will be renting for number far above what has been seen in metro KC.

KC,MO urban apartments rent for higher than KC,KS urban apartments. A lot higher. Downtown and plaza in KCMO has the most expensive places in the metro.

So either the OP is totally clueless or this is a troll post.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-30-2017 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-30-2017, 07:09 PM

5,469 posts, read 5,776,703 times
I live in an upscale suburban-style apartment by Zona Rosa and I pay as much to live up here as I would in any comparable apartment complex in Overland Park.

For me, as a single person with no kids and not concerned about schools, it's really a wash between here and JoCo. I choose to live up here because it's very close to work and I avoid double taxation by living and working in MO. But I will say that controlling for those things, I would probably choose OP all things considered because it would be nice to be closer to Whole Foods and REI and JoCo has better restaurants overall than up here, even though traffic is far worse in JoCo than anywhere else in the metro. But really, the best part of the metro is the downtown area IMO.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:12 PM

5,469 posts, read 5,776,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
This has likely been stated already, but Johnson County apartments unless they're of a similar luxury level are quite cheaper than anything you will find in the downtown and Plaza area. Midtown will likely rise too. If this was some sort of weird troll post, hopefully my response has still been edifying.
I would actually say luxury places downtown/Plaza are actually a good bit higher than in JoCo or anywhere else if you are comparing apples to apples, at least based on what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or