U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 PM

48,893 posts, read 39,381,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
While I will continue to analyze voter motivations, I will not take a step back on mentioning skin color as a factor. It's a fact. Deal with it.
Racist.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:16 AM

519 posts, read 467,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There is a sizeable and politically active population that isn't conservative. They demonstrably don't spend as much time trolling the media, however.
The leftist paid protestors have all the time in the world to be out on the street acting like animals. The one who's comment on media blogs are the ones who have down time only when off work, and write comments from the safety of their locked homes.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:58 PM

3,658 posts, read 1,768,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
[...]

There are not many decent papers left. Most are just sports articles with an occasional local business story. The KC Star/Times used to be a good paper, now it's a joke. Nothing but articles on local sports teams with barely even any local news and almost nothing national or world.

The Washington Post is awesome, it barely covers local news/sports and does a really good job covering world news. People now get all their news from facebook and twitter feeds which are often fake or so summarized and out of context that you can't get the real story. CNN and FOX both lean too far in one direction most of the time. I honestly would recommend the Washington Post to people looking for a place to really learn and keep up with what's going on in the world. 95% of Americans have no clue.
I remember being very dismayed with the copy of The Kansas City Star I picked up at KCI on my way out of town this past September. It was a Monday edition. The front section was mostly sports, very little news and no editorials or Op-Eds anywhere in the paper, which was awfully thin.

This wasn't the paper where I cut my teeth as a journalist.

My friend and traveling companion, who works in the Washington bureau of The Star's corporate parent, didn't think much of the product either.

He has some Issues with The Washington Post too, but they don't seem to have to do with the overall quality of the content. Jeff Bezos has reinvigorated that paper (though I read it online only). It's become a must-read for me because of the wide spectrum of opinion, commentary and reporting on national affairs it contains.

I think you will find more local content in the home delivery editions. After all, it is the principal daily newspaper in that city. But like The New York Times with its home city, its focus is mainly beyond it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, not that I disagree with your general advice but I have a lot of life-long democratic voting white dudes that voted Trump in my family because their jobs got moved overseas. (I didn't)

Writing them off as some sort of bigoted folk that can't handle ethnicity while repeatedly mentioning their skin color is frankly offensively racist on your part. You need to take a serious step back and learn to look at voter motivations beyond pigmentation like you've been taught.
I understand where you're coming from, but I've been thinking of a dilemma I plan on discussing with a very thoughtful conservative acquaintance of mine (we've been trading audio and video clips and articles on Facebook, and while we are somewhat opposite politically, we both hold Trump in similarly low regard).

The conservatives have a point when they say that the only way we can get past tribalism is to treat and judge everyone on an individual basis. They argue, with more than a little merit, that the brand of identity politics practiced on the Left over the past couple of decades exacerbates the tribal impulse. (If you were to push this to its somewhat but not exactly logical conclusion, a good chunk of Trump's base could be described as the white tribe joining in the fray.)

But: those of us richly endowed with melanin have been judged for most of our existence in this country on the basis of a "tribal" characteristic, and even after the Civil Rights revolution, too many for at least my comfort continue to do so. (Jeff Sessions doth protest his innocence too much.) As long as we continue to be put in that box, is it any wonder that many of us then respond tribally?

"Growing up integrated" is the antidote, but again, our society makes doing that very difficult still.

You might want to check out Nate Silver's series of articles called "The Real Story of 2016" over on FiveThirtyEight. He has a matrix of explanations of various elements of the election: traditional political reporters' pre- and post-election explanations and Nate's own. Nate's strike me as more accurate than the political reporters, and I say that realizing that the whole point of this matrix and the series of essays that follow it is to demonstrate how his brand of data journalism captures the lay of the land better.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:25 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,704,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You might want to check out Nate Silver's series of articles called "The Real Story of 2016" over on FiveThirtyEight. He has a matrix of explanations of various elements of the election: traditional political reporters' pre- and post-election explanations and Nate's own. Nate's strike me as more accurate than the political reporters, and I say that realizing that the whole point of this matrix and the series of essays that follow it is to demonstrate how his brand of data journalism captures the lay of the land better.

It's an interesting matrix, and I tend to agree with his summarization of the role of racial resentment-- that it is "hard to untangle with other factors such as economic conditions and education levels. But the evidence is consistent with racism having had a significant impact on the campaign." It's to be noted that Nate is a liberal.

The right wing echo chamber, on the other hand, has become irritated by accusations of being racist, so now they throw the term back at liberals when they feel like they are being called racist. It's a defense mechanism that I can only imagine has been promoted by the likes of Pat Buchanan and Bill O'Reilly, Breitbart news, the KKK, etc.

Clearly there are many factors - economics, education, tribalism/racism, fear, pride, shame, anger, etc. No matter the factors, though, the OP is seeing it loud and clear in social media. The politics section of this forum registers it quite clearly also.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 1,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
After the election...in truth probably closer to Christmas...I abandoned my Facebook account. After New Years' Day I deleted my account (which FB intentionally makes a PITA, btw). At some point I realized that it could be such a toxic environment and I would rather spend my time doing more productive things.

Also, that crap isn't representative of KC; this metro has a lot of good people, and most people don't have time to post all that crap. It's usually the rantings of a few.
I did the same thing a couple weeks ago. It was having a negative affect on my mental health.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 1,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
The leftist paid protestors have all the time in the world to be out on the street acting like animals. The one who's comment on media blogs are the ones who have down time only when off work, and write comments from the safety of their locked homes.
That's funny. I'm fully employed and making really good money. I'm also not a fear/hate monger who hides behind locked doors because of deluded paranoia. Stop confusing what you're supposing/assuming as fact, because it isn't. But I guess that's the problem with people who think like you. You project all your flaws and insecurities onto others.

*slow clap*

Old 02-10-2017, 08:46 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
I remember being very dismayed with the copy of The Kansas City Star I picked up at KCI on my way out of town this past September. It was a Monday edition. The front section was mostly sports, very little news and no editorials or Op-Eds anywhere in the paper, which was awfully thin.

This wasn't the paper where I cut my teeth as a journalist.

My friend and traveling companion, who works in the Washington bureau of The Star's corporate parent, didn't think much of the product either.

He has some Issues with The Washington Post too, but they don't seem to have to do with the overall quality of the content. Jeff Bezos has reinvigorated that paper (though I read it online only). It's become a must-read for me because of the wide spectrum of opinion, commentary and reporting on national affairs it contains.

I think you will find more local content in the home delivery editions. After all, it is the principal daily newspaper in that city. But like The New York Times with its home city, its focus is mainly beyond it.
Oh I get the Post home delivered daily. It's got tons of local news too, but it has more national and world news. It would take several hours to read most of the Post daily, so I only have time to read so much of it, but if you read it daily, you will learn a LOT about what's going on in the world. It's definitely a liberal leaning paper on the opinion side, but their articles are just so full of very good and detailed info that you can come away from them with a very good opinion based on your ideals and the facts presented.

The Caps, Skins or Nats rarely get any sort of front page news. Even for playoff coverage etc, you have go to the sports section to read about sports other than a rare small teaser article that might show up on the lower half of the front page. It's not like the KC Star where much of the paper can be about sports and they find a way to put sports stories in every section. The Star will put three stories about the Royals on the front page during the middle of a rather irreverent season plus KU and what not. I love the Royals but I just don't get how people follow world news or even national news anymore. Clips from CNN and FOX on facebook doesn't get it done.

Oh and for the record, this is not just a KC Star thing. The KC Star does seem tiny now, it's not even a full size paper in width but most mid sized sizes no longer have a decent newspaper.

I guess I'm old school. I also get still get the KC Business Journal along with DC, Baltimore, St Louis and Denver. Business Journals are still the best for keeping up with development. I just hope they can stay around because I know they struggle now too. Nobody wants to sit down and read a paper anymore and you just can't get the same comprehensive info from social media and other shortcuts.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:20 AM

3,658 posts, read 1,768,811 times
Quote:
I guess I'm old school. I also get still get the KC Business Journal along with DC, Baltimore, St Louis and Denver. Business Journals are still the best for keeping up with development. I just hope they can stay around because I know they struggle now too. Nobody wants to sit down and read a paper anymore and you just can't get the same comprehensive info from social media and other shortcuts.
We scribblers could use a few more old school types like you.

Even if the overwhelming bulk of my scribblings appear online only now.

Agreed on the quality of the Business Journals' reporting on real estate and development. At a panel discussion at Temple University here in Philly, I once said of my fellow real estate reporter Natalie Kostelni at the Philadelphia Business Journal, "She's like Visa. She's everywhere you want to be."

The Post's editorial stance is liberal, but more center-left compared to, say, The New York Times. And the opinion section online (I don't know about print) has a broad spectrum of voices from left to right.

It does seem sometimes that not only The Star, but dailies in most of our mid- to large-sized metropolises, have been hollowed out. The Philadelphia Inquirer still has a good bit of protein in it, but it's not the paper it was in its 1970s and 1980s heyday, when it won 19 of its 20 Pulitzers (the 20th came last year, to architecture critic Inga Saffron).

Old 02-13-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
It's generally conservatives that make the most noise via comments sections etc and they tend to say the meanest things. Christians outside of church can be some of the meanest people ever, especially behind a keyboard. I mean I stopped reading comments ten years ago on tv and media websites and most don't even allow them anymore. KCTV was the worst. Oh my god. They may be a CBS affiliate, but they cater to the FOX News crowd for sure.

I would say that KC media is followed by way more conservatives than liberals. It's just the part of the country KC is in and media markets go way beyond the suburbs, let alone urban core. I follow washington post, fox4 DC etc on fb and most people that comment are liberal, but most people out here are liberal, even in the suburbs.
Don't stop now....tell us more stuff about how Christians are...a good religious generalization seems to be in vogue these days.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
We scribblers could use a few more old school types like you.

Even if the overwhelming bulk of my scribblings appear online only now.

Agreed on the quality of the Business Journals' reporting on real estate and development. At a panel discussion at Temple University here in Philly, I once said of my fellow real estate reporter Natalie Kostelni at the Philadelphia Business Journal, "She's like Visa. She's everywhere you want to be."

The Post's editorial stance is liberal, but more center-left compared to, say, The New York Times. And the opinion section online (I don't know about print) has a broad spectrum of voices from left to right.

It does seem sometimes that not only The Star, but dailies in most of our mid- to large-sized metropolises, have been hollowed out. The Philadelphia Inquirer still has a good bit of protein in it, but it's not the paper it was in its 1970s and 1980s heyday, when it won 19 of its 20 Pulitzers (the 20th came last year, to architecture critic Inga Saffron).
The KC Star is a piece of garbage for the most part but then again so is most of the media.

Also, I read the work of the gal out of Tampa that won the pulitzer for their "insurance crisis" reporting and it was populist garbage with numerous errors as she basically mouthed propaganda for the governor.

We are no longer in the golden age of journalism. Due to the budget pressure and market segmentation we're pretty much back where we were over 100 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City