Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:05 PM

196 posts, read 392,042 times

Advertisements

On Facebook, I am a subscriber to all the local KC TV stations. So far nearly EVERY person who comments on a report or article involving the executive order (whether it be about the protests, etc.) is an angry, short-tempered Trump supporter that goes on and on about "liberal propaganda", "evil Obama", etc. Those are the comments that are getting the most likes, apparently. And they keep cropping up over and over.

On top of that, there is so much hatred directed at our mayor Sly James for showing his support for protesters exercising their freedom of speech at KCI.

I had no idea KC residents love Donald Trump THIS much. I thought this metro area was more politically moderate.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:10 PM

709 posts, read 1,483,221 times
I don't think what you are seeing is representative of KC as a whole.

I haven't checked out the local TV stations' Facebook pages (I'm not a fan of their news departments. I think the reporting is atrocious) so I'm not exactly sure what you are seeing, but it seems like comment sections on news sources in general are much more heavily populated by the alt-right than the general public. And this is on news sites around the country (even from more liberal cities) and even on "liberal" news sites.

I think these people spend all their time online on alt-right sites like Breitbart and Drudge Report and then they make their way over to other news sites to regurgitate the garbage they pick up there. They spend their time listening to long winded blowhards like Rush Limbaugh that they try to imitate. Bill O'Reilly tells them they need to be "culture warriors" so they go and wage their war on internet comments sections. Add in the fact that they are so delusional that they think they can convince other people with their rhetoric and that they have nothing better to do with their time and you get a small, but vocal minority of internet trolls making all of this noise.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:02 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
On Facebook, I am a subscriber to all the local KC TV stations. So far nearly EVERY person who comments on a report or article involving the executive order (whether it be about the protests, etc.) is an angry, short-tempered Trump supporter that goes on and on about "liberal propaganda", "evil Obama", etc. Those are the comments that are getting the most likes, apparently. And they keep cropping up over and over.

On top of that, there is so much hatred directed at our mayor Sly James for showing his support for protesters exercising their freedom of speech at KCI.

I had no idea KC residents love Donald Trump THIS much. I thought this metro area was more politically moderate.
Uh... comment sections on news sites are worthless. At best. They represent nothing.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:47 AM

991 posts, read 1,104,602 times
After the election...in truth probably closer to Christmas...I abandoned my Facebook account. After New Years' Day I deleted my account (which FB intentionally makes a PITA, btw). At some point I realized that it could be such a toxic environment and I would rather spend my time doing more productive things.

Also, that crap isn't representative of KC; this metro has a lot of good people, and most people don't have time to post all that crap. It's usually the rantings of a few.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,740,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post

It's generally conservatives that make the most noise via comments sections etc and they tend to say the meanest things. Christians outside of church can be some of the meanest people ever, especially behind a keyboard. I mean I stopped reading comments ten years ago on tv and media websites and most don't even allow them anymore. KCTV was the worst. Oh my god. They may be a CBS affiliate, but they cater to the FOX News crowd for sure.

I would say that KC media is followed by way more conservatives than liberals. It's just the part of the country KC is in and media markets go way beyond the suburbs, let alone urban core. I follow washington post, fox4 DC etc on fb and most people that comment are liberal, but most people out here are liberal, even in the suburbs.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:07 PM

654 posts, read 621,789 times
Guess who watches TV news and reads the newspaper....old people, and guess what old people tend to be...conservative! The comment sections of newspapers especially tend to be dominated by the retired set who sit with nothing else to do but be glued to the tube all day listening to TV news and then spouting their own, usually extremely conservative take on it.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:10 PM

709 posts, read 1,483,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Guess who watches TV news and reads the newspaper....old people, and guess what old people tend to be...conservative! The comment sections of newspapers especially tend to be dominated by the retired set who sit with nothing else to do but be glued to the tube all day listening to TV news and then spouting their own, usually extremely conservative take on it.
Exactly! Instead of typing angry letters to Andy Rooney, they are now writing angry comments on internet news articles.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:10 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,725,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's generally conservatives that make the most noise via comments sections etc and they tend to say the meanest things. Christians outside of church can be some of the meanest people ever, especially behind a keyboard. I mean I stopped reading comments ten years ago on tv and media websites and most don't even allow them anymore. KCTV was the worst. Oh my god. They may be a CBS affiliate, but they cater to the FOX News crowd for sure.

I would say that KC media is followed by way more conservatives than liberals. It's just the part of the country KC is in and media markets go way beyond the suburbs, let alone urban core. I follow washington post, fox4 DC etc on fb and most people that comment are liberal, but most people out here are liberal, even in the suburbs.

This is just laughable on its face. I guess you've had your head buried in the sand for oh, decades. Not to mention since Nov 8 and especially since Jan 20

Old 01-31-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
This is just laughable on its face. I guess you've had your head buried in the sand for oh, decades. Not to mention since Nov 8 and especially since Jan 20
I was not talking about the protesters if that's what you are referring to. I will agree that a large portion of these protesters are idiots, but the general reasons they are protesting have merit even if many of the protesters don't even know why they are even protesting.

I'm talking online comments going back to before the trump campaign rhetoric (which caused much of the backlash you are seeing now).

Racial slurs, hating anybody that's not white and christian and born in America to an American citizen was and still is off the charts in any social media environment (fb, youtube, media websites etc).

Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I was going to mention this as well. I don't see nearly as many conservative comments in east coast media though, however the few I do see tend to be pretty mean spirited.

I read the paper every day, mostly hard copy, but online as well. I'm one of the few left that do (especially under the age of 50). It's been something I have done since high school and college and I was about the only one my age that read the paper back then as well.

There are not many decent papers left. Most are just sports articles with an occasional local business story. The KC Star/Times used to be a good paper, now it's a joke. Nothing but articles on local sports teams with barely even any local news and almost nothing national or world.

The Washington Post is awesome, it barely covers local news/sports and does a really good job covering world news. People now get all their news from facebook and twitter feeds which are often fake or so summarized and out of context that you can't get the real story. CNN and FOX both lean too far in one direction most of the time. I honestly would recommend the Washington Post to people looking for a place to really learn and keep up with what's going on in the world. 95% of Americans have no clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City