U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:31 PM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times

Advertisements

Looks like I need to take several of you back in time, to my own childhood, when I lived on that East Side lovekcmo thinks can just go hang but attended school on the other side of Troost (which I did from Day One at Nelson until graduation from Pem-Day).

Some of the places I used to frequent on the Plaza included:
King Louie Plaza bowling lanes (I bowled in leagues there)
Woolworth's
Sears, Roebuck (its building is now Seville Square)
Watkins Pharmacy

I would occasionally pick up something at the supermarket next to King Louie (I want to call it Muehlbach's but know that wasn't its name) or wander through the branch of Emery Bird's.

My uncle worked for many years at a small locksmith shop on 48th Street, just down from the House of Toy, a Chinese restaurant of long standing.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that back then, the Plaza did have a mix of tony (or nearly so) shops (Emery, Bird, Thayer was Kansas City's carriage-trade department store, and Halls opened there in 1965; there was also Jack Henry for the traditional menswear crowd, Swanson's for fashionable females and Woolf Brothers for both men and women) and stores that catered to the everyday needs of the people who lived around it.

I don't see why management couldn't bring some of that back. Looking at the stores now there, it looks to me like there are a lot of shopping-mall stalwarts, and all the high-end stores I remember setting up shop on the Plaza in the late 1970s and early 1980s have disappeared.

But: Russell Stover Chocolates a new store? The company had a store on the Plaza for all the time I was growing up, and beyond. (One of my classmates was co-CEO of Russell Stover before his family sold the company they bought in the mid-1950s to Lindt.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 09:55 AM

15,294 posts, read 7,146,445 times
I didn't know there was a bowling alley there. Curious about where it was.

So about the plaza. It's made a bigger deal than it really is. There are more options now to spend are afternoon or evening aren't that's a good thing. Not saying the plaza isn't a nice place, but mall stores shouldn't be the highlight of the city. I'd rather take out of town guests to a concert at Grinders or jazz at Green Lady than the plaza.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:18 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,334,463 times
My most recent guests have a one-year old baby, as do I.

Pushing strollers around, looking at sculptures and artwork, enjoying the fresh air tends to work out better than concerts at Grinders and jazz clubs, accordingly. Pretty outdoor places (including, but not limited to, the Plaza) are the sights that tend to make the cut.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:45 PM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I didn't know there was a bowling alley there. Curious about where it was.
424 Nichols Road. The supermarket was next door to its east, and Woolworth's was to its west, with the entrance to the Embassy II movie theater (one of Durwood's early multi-screeners, years before the company became American Multi Cinema) in between.

Quote:
So about the plaza. It's made a bigger deal than it really is. There are more options now to spend are afternoon or evening aren't that's a good thing. Not saying the plaza isn't a nice place, but mall stores shouldn't be the highlight of the city. I'd rather take out of town guests to a concert at Grinders or jazz at Green Lady than the plaza.
Agreed on mall stores, but unique or distinctive local or regional boutiques and some real high-end stuff do make for more interesting visitor magnets, IMO. Don't forget that the visitors not spending time with local hosts often make some shopping part of their itinerary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Pushing strollers around, looking at sculptures and artwork, enjoying the fresh air tends to work out better than concerts at Grinders and jazz clubs, accordingly. Pretty outdoor places (including, but not limited to, the Plaza) are the sights that tend to make the cut.
Not to mention that the little ones would have their tongues incinerated by the Death Nectar at Grinders.

Speaking of Grinders, though, when I had lunch there on my visit in 2014, I chuckled a little when I opened the menu and saw their selection of "Original Philly" cheesesteaks ("Voted Best Cheesesteak West of the Mississippi," the menu read). I didn't order one, partly because I was in my hometown, not my home, and partly because I have a rule of thumb that says any place that says it serves "Philly cheesesteaks" probably doesn't. But I might go back there on some future visit to see just what the "Best Cheesesteak West of the Mississippi" tastes like.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:59 PM

15,294 posts, read 7,146,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

I promise to do a better job keeping infants in mind when making general statements on tourism.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:02 PM

No, by all means, I do recognize that clubs are the only valid places out of town guests need visit.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:43 PM

146 posts, read 101,203 times
I don't think we have to worry about the Plaza.
It is adjusting to the new retail economy where consumers are buying online.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:44 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post
I don't think we have to worry about the Plaza.
It is adjusting to the new retail economy where consumers are buying online.
I don't think it's that. I think the new owners are changing things in ways that aren't good. Plus the problems caused by youths the last several years don't help, either.

As for the above comments regarding out of town guests: I haven't taken out of down guests to clubs, but I haven't taken them to the Plaza, either.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:05 PM

Uh, most people's posts express personal opinions. That's kind of the point.

There's nobody posting here who speaks for 2.2 million people in the metro (despite what they may think).

Old 02-06-2017, 02:08 PM

FTR, I take out of town guests who are unfamiliar with the metro to many locales, sights, and attractions to introduce them to the city, of which the Plaza is simply one. I would imagine many others do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or