U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:13 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times

Advertisements

Speak of the devil.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...e-closing.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 05:35 PM

5,498 posts, read 5,158,157 times
The Mrs. and I went to Trader Joe's on Ward Parkway today, poked around at Target there, too. We then decided ta head north over to The Plaza - totally unplanned, this would only be our 2nd trip to The Plaza in the 6 months that we've been living in Kansas City.

We were there in what seemed like ten minutes or so. Parked on 47th St. and got out and walked. It was cloudy and overcast today but not cold. We found Barnes & Noble on 47th and went in and started getting accustomed to a Barnes & Noble we weren't yet familiar with. Enjoyed the visit and needed to go back towards home.

Stopped at Wal*Mart in Martin City and then headed home to our rental home in Grandview. I've got to say - The Country Club Plaza is my favorite Kansas City destination to date. There may come along cooler things - KC Zoo was a good visit several months ago, too, and I would expect many more things to do will present themselves in the not too distant future.

We've seen a rock show at the Crossroads and the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater so far and enjoyed those events, too. Want to go see Worlds of Fun and several other things still - but my point is that, for us as newcomers to Kansas City, The Plaza is only getting more interesting as a fun-time destination for us. We are not incredibly hard to please, no, but that place is just plain fun and the architecture and fountain work are great. Look forward to going there again and again.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:47 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Stopped at Wal*Mart in Martin City and then headed home to our rental home in Grandview. I've got to say - The Country Club Plaza is my favorite Kansas City destination to date. There may come along cooler things - KC Zoo was a good visit several months ago, too, and I would expect many more things to do will present themselves in the not too distant future.

If you haven't been to Starlight, go there this summer, to a concert or a Broadway show. It's not Red Rocks, but it's the closest thing KC has to Red Rocks, and if you like outdoor venues and summer nights, you will love it.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
The Mrs. and I went to Trader Joe's on Ward Parkway today, poked around at Target there, too. We then decided ta head north over to The Plaza - totally unplanned, this would only be our 2nd trip to The Plaza in the 6 months that we've been living in Kansas City.

We were there in what seemed like ten minutes or so. Parked on 47th St. and got out and walked. It was cloudy and overcast today but not cold. We found Barnes & Noble on 47th and went in and started getting accustomed to a Barnes & Noble we weren't yet familiar with. Enjoyed the visit and needed to go back towards home.
By far the destination on the Plaza we're most likely to frequent. Probably close to 95 percent of our time in Plaza retail is spent here. When I last lived on the Plaza, it was about a two-minute walk from my front door, which was nice. Other than that, we mostly go for the outdoor attractions, not the shopping, which is largely uninteresting.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:35 PM

3,661 posts, read 1,770,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
From the article, the problem in a nutshell:

Quote:
"It's not Rodeo Drive of Kansas City (anymore)," Swirk said. "I think it's run more like a shopping mall now. They have square footage, they need to keep people in it, and they're going to fill it up with whatever they can. They have shareholders and people they're responsible to."
Jesse Clyde Nichols is spinning in his grave.

Granted, a supermarket, a bowling alley and a Woolworth's are even further from Rodeo Drive than Wet Seal (RIP) is, but in the era when the Plaza had all those and a Sears, it also had outposts of Kansas City's finest retailers.

It was those retailers - Harzfeld's, Woolf Brothers, Halls, Swanson's, Emery Bird's, Jack Henry, Bennett Schneider Books, Rothschild's, Wolferman's, Tivol - that gave the Plaza its cachet. Of these, only Tivol survives.

But in the 1980s, the Nichols Company figured out how to parlay the cachet of those local Names to turn the Plaza into something truly outstanding and unique. Saks Fifth Avenue. Tiffany. Polo Ralph Lauren. The big boys and girls of high-end fashion moved in alongside the locals, and eventually supplanted them as they fell to the competition.

Now that the J.C. Nichols Company has been dismembered, Highwoods (I think that's who owns the Plaza now) looks to me to be squandering that inheritance. Maybe the mall stalwarts bring more traffic and sales per square foot, but they're turning the Plaza into Oak Park Mall or Independence Center with actual streets and more charming architecture.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:51 PM

Highwoods sold the Plaza a year ago for 660 million.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:58 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If you haven't been to Starlight, go there this summer, to a concert or a Broadway show. It's not Red Rocks, but it's the closest thing KC has to Red Rocks, and if you like outdoor venues and summer nights, you will love it.
Unless you like getting shot in the head like has happened to the lady that was leaving there a while back.

Nothing like catching some stray gunfire from the locals.

My friend lived over near there years ago and left after having to shelter a gal that burst into his house with her father (gun in hand) in hot pursuit chasing her up the street.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:59 PM

5,498 posts, read 5,158,157 times

Meaning the land that The Plaza is sitting on, or, the land plus the actual restaurants, stores, parking garages, etc.?

Regarding the crime, yes, unfortunately Kansas City is a dangerous place for crime, and The Plaza is of course, not immune to it. When we entered Barnes & Noble there was a Security cop in there. I took the opportunity to ask him about the parking garages and if they required money to pay for places to park our car there at The Plaza. Apparently, they are free - and he did tell us his favorite place to go.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Meaning the land that The Plaza is sitting on, or, the land plus the actual restaurants, stores, parking garages, etc.?
The retail center itself. Land, retail buildings, office space.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:12 PM

3,661 posts, read 1,770,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The retail center itself. Land, retail buildings, office space.
Hmmm. What's the tenant turnover been since the sale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or