U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:34 AM

324 posts, read 136,396 times

Advertisements

I think the city still sponsors Mayor’s Nights, a summer recreation and entertainment program that includes Club KC and Night Hoops. It's supposed to give the kids something fun to do in hopes that they'll be less likely to get into trouble, but I don't think it's been entirely successful in that regard. And it doesn't start until mid-June, so there are plenty of other months for mayhem.

The problem is that youth generally aren't that interested in activities sponsored by adults, especially the ones that are the primary troublemakers.

Sly James has been vowing to do something about holding parents to account since the shooting in 2011. Easier said than done, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
What's interesting is certain people talking all about what the city should do to entertain these kids so they aren't causing trouble. It all starts in the home and if the home is broken what will some basketball games at night hosted by the city do? That's nothing but a temporary fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 03:09 PM

889 posts, read 1,428,548 times
Kansas City police were definitely trying to keep the Plaza problem out of the news this week, with the Big 12 in town.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:17 PM

886 posts, read 1,860,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Exactly. The plaza needs to evolve into more of a self sustained urban center rather than a regional destination. It will always be regional attraction but will likely never be the regional "retail" attraction it once was.

The development near UMKC with a Whole Foods is exactly the kind of new development the Plaza will need as it evolves. Basic retail for those living in the area and more density at the same time to support that type of retail. The streetcar also needs to be extended to the plaza to help people that choose to live there take advantage of all the new amenities being built in the urban core outside of the plaza.
I think a street car expansion to it will help.

Really, It's gonna have some downs before it sees ups, all retail is having problems... and it needs to find a balance between a unique stores, high end, experiences, and then every day needs. But a grocery store won't be a big deal if it's connected to downtown and the rivermarket by streetcar.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 AM

205 posts, read 182,344 times
I think it needs to get rid of the movie theater and any attraction that is teen oriented. Sorry to be a buzz kill, but in order to make it less of a teen hangout, things such as a movie theater will have to go. Also, future development should be done with an eye on not having attractions that draw primarily teens.

Finally, unlike 20-30 years ago, we have Downtown and the Crossroads as destination areas that are taking away entertainment dollars from the Plaza. 25 years ago downtown was practically deserted and the Crossroads was not even a thing yet. The Plaza was the only urban entertainment district for people over age 30. Now it has to compete with these areas AND face retailers that are going out of business at a national level.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I think it needs to get rid of the movie theater and any attraction that is teen oriented. Sorry to be a buzz kill, but in order to make it less of a teen hangout, things such as a movie theater will have to go. Also, future development should be done with an eye on not having attractions that draw primarily teens.

Finally, unlike 20-30 years ago, we have Downtown and the Crossroads as destination areas that are taking away entertainment dollars from the Plaza. 25 years ago downtown was practically deserted and the Crossroads was not even a thing yet. The Plaza was the only urban entertainment district for people over age 30. Now it has to compete with these areas AND face retailers that are going out of business at a national level.
I don't think the teens causing trouble are there to watch a movie or to patronize any business on the Plaza.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:35 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Removing youth-friendly elements is also removing family-friendly elements, which isn't the best plan.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:18 PM

1,298 posts, read 983,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't think the teens causing trouble are there to watch a movie or to patronize any business on the Plaza.
So, are you saying these kids just get together and say "Hey, let's go to the Plaza, and loiter and bother people and stir up trouble"? It doesn't matter whether there's anything else there that they want to do?

Honest question.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:16 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
So, are you saying these kids just get together and say "Hey, let's go to the Plaza, and loiter and bother people and stir up trouble"? It doesn't matter whether there's anything else there that they want to do?

Honest question.
Yeah. I think so. The plaza doesn't have a problem with urban youth congregating due to them meeting up to see a movie or just walk around the plaza. They go to the plaza specifically to start trouble with people and the cops. That is how they are entertaining themselves.

These kids are thug kids of thug parents. 12 year olds that carry guns, kids that jump on hoods of parked cars, terrorize white people visiting the plaza and enjoy antagonizing the cops if they try to stop them by surrounding them with cell phone cameras etc.

Getting rid of the theaters is a terrible idea. The city and the police need to round these kids up and put them in a juvenile center and then go find their parents and put them in jail for letting their kids run the streets like a bunch of animals.

We have areas like the plaza around DC. I work in Silver Spring Maryland, a dense business district similar in size to the plaza (probably larger). It's adjacent to some of DC's not so great areas and it has a massive transit center along with a big theater, dave and busters etc. Yet you rarely hear about the kinds of things happening there that you do in KC with the Plaza.

The cops and city need get tough with the lawless urban youth not take away what's left of the destination retail on the Plaza. If anything, the plaza needs more things like the theaters, grocery stores etc so "normal" people can outnumber the idiots. But it sounds like the plaza just needs a lot more police presence on foot etc to keep the kids out of trouble. You don't want to turn the plaza into a "police state", but under cover cops etc just deal with problems before they become problems.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-16-2018 at 04:24 PM..

Old 03-16-2018, 05:10 PM

15,294 posts, read 7,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
So, are you saying these kids just get together and say "Hey, let's go to the Plaza, and loiter and bother people and stir up trouble"?
I'd say so.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:11 PM

5,498 posts, read 5,158,157 times
Indeed, in the year we lived in the greater Kansas City area, the favorite destination of my wife and I was the Plaza. You don't have to spend much money if you don't want to, and you're treated to some beautiful, older architecture, and you feel like you're out and about and enjoying yourself when you're there. It's a fantastic destination when you're in Kansas City.

But this thuggery is scary, goofy, nutty and immoral. It needs a tough police presence and some business block intervention - without getting in to a gun control debate, something beyond the "you better get outta here, you thugs" is really needed for the Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or