U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:20 PM

226 posts, read 191,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Nice place, I want to move there. In the picture. Now.

Shorpy Historic Picture Archive :: K.C.: 1908 high-resolution photo
Nostalgia, yes, I feel it too if I "get" you correctly. A longing to leave the busy rush of today for a quieter simpler time. Sometimes I think I tend to romanticize and forget about the things that were "issues" back then -- but mostly when i compare it to today, I'd like to step back to a time when people had time to actually have conversations beyond texting a few words here or there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 PM

290 posts, read 230,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post
This thread has some awesome pictures, thanks for sharing them. I have vague memories of Kansas City I guess late 1950's or so - I remember going downtown (we took the train from a small town about 45 miles away) once a year to go shopping and the Forum Cafeteria was a huge deal for me but that was before "now" when so many people eat out about every day. I was a weird kid because, I think I was probably 6 or 7 and I always got brussel sprouts at the Forum.

Anyway thanks for sharing these amazing pictures. I've seen a few pictures of Kansas City at Cristmastime with the old street decorations which were tame by today's standards but they stir memories, I can't describe how things were decorated but when I see pictures it awakens memories. I vague recall some sort of "crown" that was the centerpiece in street intersections. There is something to be said for older and simpler, nowadays its a huge undertaking with all kind of technical sparkles and music and stuff but there's still something special about simple old Christmas before it became wild jamming into stores with everybody competing for the same stuff. I guess I'm becoming an anachrism, starting to feel like I used to imagine my father felt only now I'm the one who's seen amazing (not always for the better) changes in society.
Unfortunately I can't link the photo directly, but the following link contains a detailed view of Walnut and 11th during Christmas time as found on the first page. Thanks for the story.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mslaff...767147/sizes/l

A few more,

Missouri Valley Special Collections : Item Viewer

Troost and Linwood

Troost and Armour

Troost and 32nd

Linwood near Paseo

Troost near 31st.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:25 PM

226 posts, read 191,895 times
[quote=PA650;47302666]Unfortunately I can't link the photo directly, but the following link contains a detailed view of Walnut and 11th during Christmas time as found on the first page. Thanks for the story.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mslaff...767147/sizes/l

A few more,

FANTASTIC, thanks so much - I can't wait to check out these new photos ! I'm sure I'll have some comments (hopefully relevant) in a while.

Thanks Again !

Oh these were great I especially liked the ones around 1890 or so - my father was born in 1895 so it gives me an idea of how things were then although he wasn't in the city much until he came back from WWI - his service on a troop transport ship in the Navy going back and forth between the U.S. and France. Then he became a street car conductor (maybe I said that earlier) so the street cars are interesting - I also have a picture of my father in Los Angeles in front of "his" streetcar - he looks so young and handsome (and a bit cocky too I think) - the orpheum theater was cool to see - some of the streets didn't looked paved yet maybe its just how they were finished - surely they can't have the ability to build such fantastic buildings and not pave the streets. Also it was interesting to see Troost Street before its downturn, most interesting ! The EBT Building really stands out ! I missed the photo I think you referred to maybe I'll see it my second time thru in a day or too (you really can't appreciate them one time thru). My father was 54 when I was born - people think I meant WW II but no it was WW I. These are great photos I wish I could look at them with my father to see what his comments might be. I found him in a few records living on Forest St and it showed "conductor" as occupation.

Last edited by AmericnGrl; 02-26-2017 at 07:54 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 01:50 PM

5,501 posts, read 5,170,571 times
I like that one of the Westgate Hotel. Does anyone know if it's still there?

Old 02-27-2017, 03:12 PM

4,339 posts, read 5,159,916 times

"Photoplays"?

Oh....movies.

Last edited by Tantalust; 02-27-2017 at 03:33 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericnGrl View Post

Thanks Again !

Oh these were great I especially liked the ones around 1890 or so - my father was born in 1895 so it gives me an idea of how things were then although he wasn't in the city much until he came back from WWI - his service on a troop transport ship in the Navy going back and forth between the U.S. and France. Then he became a street car conductor (maybe I said that earlier) so the street cars are interesting - I also have a picture of my father in Los Angeles in front of "his" streetcar - he looks so young and handsome (and a bit cocky too I think) - the orpheum theater was cool to see - some of the streets didn't looked paved yet maybe its just how they were finished - surely they can't have the ability to build such fantastic buildings and not pave the streets. Also it was interesting to see Troost Street before its downturn, most interesting ! The EBT Building really stands out ! I missed the photo I think you referred to maybe I'll see it my second time thru in a day or too (you really can't appreciate them one time thru). My father was 54 when I was born - people think I meant WW II but no it was WW I. These are great photos I wish I could look at them with my father to see what his comments might be. I found him in a few records living on Forest St and it showed "conductor" as occupation.
Thanks for your feedback. Quite interesting! My great great grandfather use to be an engineer on the 'L' in Chicago.

Quote:
I like that one of the Westgate Hotel. Does anyone know if it's still there?
It's still there, in memory. It was by where the Muse of Missouri sits today. Unfortunately everyone in my profession back then thought erasing the old downtown and replacing it with modernist boxes was a great thing to do.

Old 02-28-2017, 02:37 AM

5,501 posts, read 5,170,571 times
It's still there, in memory. It was by where the Muse of Missouri sits today. Unfortunately everyone in my profession back then thought erasing the old downtown and replacing it with modernist boxes was a great thing to do.

Thanks for that, PA650. It's too bad that buildings of interest like the Westgate Hotel have to disappear the way they do.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Thanks for that, PA650. It's too bad that buildings of interest like the Westgate Hotel have to disappear the way they do.
You're welcome! I can't think of any good reason that 'urban renewal' occurred in that part of town beyond 1950 planning practices. The Junction was an unique aspect of downtown that unfortunately doesn't exist anymore. Yet, I just hope we can have some nice infill in that area and removing the north freeway loop will certainly aid in that development.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:26 PM

132 posts, read 109,982 times
I don't understand the desire to remove the north freeway loop. There is no shortage of land surface lots downtown already and it would be terribly expensive.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:32 PM

1,298 posts, read 985,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adebord View Post
I don't understand the desire to remove the north freeway loop. There is no shortage of land surface lots downtown already and it would be terribly expensive.
Would it be terribly expensive? If that stretch is not serving its purpose (and it's not by a long shot) then wouldn't it be fiscally advantageous to replace it with private lots that generate tax revenue, instead of continually maintaining the roadway for decades on end?

And you're wrong on another point. There IS starting to be a shortage of land surface lots downtown, at least in the Loop and River Market areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or