Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,850 times

Advertisements

KC people!

I am a 27 year old single guy, moving to Kansas City within a month for my job. i am in a quandary with respect to the place I want to live. I have looked at many places CCP, Westport, Downtown, KC med school area, River market area and among them Westport seems like my kinda place with happening nightlife, and many single minded people (At least that's what I read on reviews, please feel free to correct me!)
I have no clue where to stay (at Westport or places within 4 miles of Downtown KC), so please feel free to suggest neighborhoods ideal for single professional guys.
I will be working for GM, so travel won't be a problem, but I want to stay in an area that is happening culturally, musically and preferably with OK/Good nightlife. My budget is within $800 - $900 and I do not mind lofts as I have no Pets.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 06:46 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
I like the south eastern end of zip code 64111. Its near the Nelson and the Art Institute and a bike ride from the Plaza or Westport. You find a two bedroom in your price range.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:57 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,870 times
I think you are on the right track. Any of those locations you mentioned would be a fine fit.

When you say you have "looked" at many places, have you been able to come to town and see them in person, or are you just looking online?

If you like Westport, you may want to look at the Volker neighborhood, or West Plaza. These are the neighborhoods just to the west and southwest of Westport. Volker also contains the 39th St. West district, which has some nice amenities. This might be what you are referring to as the KU Med School area.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:38 PM

I just came for my interview last month to KC and drove around town but I have looked at some areas and apartments online and through some posts. All of them state that for a single young professional Westport area is the best, if not one of the best to live and commute. So is it true or is downtown area better to live in? All the apartments that I looked say they have some income restrictions (which I do not quality for) and this is the first time I have heard such sort of a thing !

I have heard that some areas are dangerous within KC and I was also looking into that. Are there any specific streets that are bad or is it NOT AS BAD AS MEDIA PUTS IT.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:35 PM

15 posts, read 14,518 times
I highly recommend the Volker/KU Med area! My fiance was renting a one bedroom house for $800 at 42nd and State line, and currently we are renting a 2 bedroom for $850 on the Kansas side off of Rainbow. Definitely look at craigslist for small houses. Type in KU Med or Volker. You are a short distance from Westport, and from 39th st (more enjoyable to me than Westport, but to each their own) You are also a short distance from Plaza, Crossroads, Downtown. Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Old 11-15-2016, 02:37 PM

15 posts, read 14,518 times
Also there are a lot of affordable rentals in the Valentine neighborhood off Wyoming and around that area!

Old 11-16-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8944 View Post
So is it true or is downtown area better to live in? All the apartments that I looked say they have some income restrictions (which I do not quality for) and this is the first time I have heard such sort of a thing !

I have heard that some areas are dangerous within KC and I was also looking into that. Are there any specific streets that are bad or is it NOT AS BAD AS MEDIA PUTS IT.
As for Downtown vs Midtown/Westport and which is better young people, it really is a matter of preference (and budget). Westport was the place for young people for a generation, but Downtown has really emerged over the past several years. You will definitely get more for your money in Midtown, as Downtown is pricey (by KC standards, at least). You will have more variety in housing options in Midtown, including single family houses, duplexes, small apartment buildings, where Downtown is almost exclusively lofts and large apartment buildings. There is also a different vibe - there is the obvious urban vs neighborhood difference, but also, Midtown is more Bohemian/Hipster/diverse and Downtown is more yuppie.

The reason you are seeing income restrictions in Downtown is that when these buildings were developed, they were given incentives to keep a portion of the units as affordable housing. Downtown has very low vacancy rates right now and it seems like the income restricted units seem more likely to be vacant. Also, your budget is right about the bottom price you can find for market rate apartments Downtown. You should have some options, but you will be limited.

As for the dangerous areas within KC, that is generally the eastern part of KCMO (parts of KCK are pretty bad too). The long standing dividing line has been Troost Ave, although I think that line is finally starting to blur as some areas east of Troost are improving. Ultimately, as long as you're not mixed up with some bad people, and you use common sense (don't leave valuables in plain sight in your car parked on the street), you will be fine.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:50 PM

Is the Volker area near the state line road ? If so, I do not see any properties available for rent as I tried. I do want to know if that's an area for single youngsters as that is one of the criteria for my choice in residence. Thanks!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:22 PM

473 posts, read 502,346 times
Stop in restaurant in desired area to eat in, and see if anyone says anything weird to you or talks about you in obvious way. If you see/hear anything interesting, this is not the area for you.

Before lease shopping.... Take a walk after kids get off school and see if you get approached by group of teens threatening you, called gang stalking. Do not answer or get confrontational. Is how area tells you neighborhood doesn't want you to live there but may be okay area in which to work. Is dangerous to live in these areas if harassed by the kids and cops don't care to help. May end up abandoning everything in a couple months or very fast move....

If bothered by the kids, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you do not try to live in entertainment areas and just stick to burbs of Olathe, Bonner Springs, Gardner, Spring Hill, Parkville or Lees Summit. Entertainment areas have lots of marginal persons who will be a problem if you run into stalking behaviors or weirdo chat around you...

Area is kinda crazy but is all VERY predictable place with lots to do, great employment, nice homes with good housing market value and very friendly people if no one is pestering you about anything....Meetup.com activity groups were outstanding with lots to do at affordable prices and lots of nice people.

If pestered by anyone while out in public too many times, you get screwed by so many scams you will probably abandon the area. At work, better not to discuss much of areas' weird behaviors or outside drama you may deal with, sometimes this will get you harassed & set up for the scams. Probably run into few problems. Females alone are sometimes pestered by homeless or marginals if you want to live near entertainment while burbs are very mellow for ladies. Ladies living near entertainment areas need roommate or mate.

Last edited by cattalk1; 11-20-2016 at 10:31 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8944 View Post
Is the Volker area near the state line road ? If so, I do not see any properties available for rent as I tried. I do want to know if that's an area for single youngsters as that is one of the criteria for my choice in residence. Thanks!
Here is a map of the neighborhoods in Midtown KC that will show where Volker is located. It is between State Line Rd and Southwest Trafficway, north of Westport Rd.

Yes, I would say Volker is a good area for single youngsters. It is not exclusively that demographic, as you also have young families and some older folks that are long-time residents, but but it has a much higher than average ratio of young, single people.

How are you searching for apartments and what are your criteria? I just did a quick check on Zillow and Craigslist and saw a handful of rentals in Volker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City