U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 07:55 AM

112 posts, read 62,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
I disagree, Brownback is not an idiot. He's a conservative and smart and good man. America could use more like him and we have them now with the new administration Thank God.
The only thing true about this statement is that Brownback is a conservative. He's done almost nothing good for Kansas. I challenge you to explain how Kansas is better off over the course of his administration. And I'm not talking about pet Conservative causes like guns. I'm talking making peoples' lives better. Just because you like his conservatism doesn't mean he has a record of success. Kansas employment growth has trailed the national average. Brownback has turned down millions of dollars in federal funds. Based on what? Principle because Obama was in office. Brownback has been a miserable failure. His own party just voted to reverse his tax plan (which of course he vetoed because he's as stubborn as he is ignorant). There are plenty of Republicans I like. He's certainly not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The murders in Westport and the Plaza and downtown aren't east side. Try again.
Did you see about the murder at an Olathe bar last night? I guess all of us in SoJoCo better look for another place to live. ;-)

Old 02-23-2017, 08:04 AM

1,298 posts, read 984,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
Sad to think that KCI was an elephant from day 1 with TWA and now for other airlines.
An elephant? Do you mean a dinosaur?

Old 02-23-2017, 09:45 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastoChicagotoKC View Post
Did you see about the murder at an Olathe bar last night? I guess all of us in SoJoCo better look for another place to live. ;-)
Evidently, this can't be spun into, "Yeah, well, probably done by some KCMO resident!" either, as is the usual tactic.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 AM

12,610 posts, read 14,621,137 times
Quote:
A crazy person in Olathe Kansas does not equal the pervasive crime culture in Kansas City Missouri.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
A crazy person in Olathe Kansas does not equal the pervasive crime culture in Kansas City Missouri.
True. But neither does 150 murders in a city of almost 500,000 residents equal a "crime culture" attributable to an entire city. I used to live in an urban neighborhood in Chicago. Chicago, as we know, has a horrible murder rate. I was never once a victim of a crime in 10 years of living there. And I was out and about at all hours of the day and night. Likewise, there are plenty of areas in KC where I could very comfortably live without fear. It's a shame some people choose to only see the worst aspects of the world around them.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
True. But neither does 150 murders in a city of almost 500,000 residents equal a "crime culture" attributable to an entire city. I used to live in an urban neighborhood in Chicago. Chicago, as we know, has a horrible murder rate. I was never once a victim of a crime in 10 years of living there. And I was out and about at all hours of the day and night. Likewise, there are plenty of areas in KC where I could very comfortably live without fear. It's a shame some people choose to only see the worst aspects of the world around them.
I don't see the worst aspects of the world around me. I tell the truth instead of whitewashing it. While some people here try to sway newcomers to the area to urban KC and downplay the crime, I state the reasons that I don't live in urban Kansas City. I state that I prefer Johnson County because of the low crime, great schools, good property values and better quality of life. It's not the only place outside of urban KC that you can find those things, but it's where I prefer to be. I have lived all over Kansas City, including northeast, midtown, near downtown, Platte City, near Westport and the Plaza and more rural areas on the Missouri side and in the KU Med area as well as western Wyandotte County on the Kansas side. Johnson County is the best place I have lived out of all those places, and I plan to stay.

The truth is, there HAS been a problem with crime on the Plaza, in Westport and downtown, including murders. You can't blame it all on the east side.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/33263393/...-violent-crime

Last edited by luzianne; 02-23-2017 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 03:37 PM

8 posts, read 5,013 times
What is your motivation for always steering people clear of the urban areas of KC? Is this out of some moral obligation to educate them to the “dangers” of the city? Everyone knows a city’s area of dense population has more crime than the surrounding suburbs.

What we should do is encourage good, productive individuals and families to move back into our city to bring stability and affluence into those areas as well so that the city, as a whole can prosper.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxist View Post
What is your motivation for always steering people clear of the urban areas of KC? Is this out of some moral obligation to educate them to the “dangers” of the city? Everyone knows a city’s area of dense population has more crime than the surrounding suburbs.

What we should do is encourage good, productive individuals and families to move back into our city to bring stability and affluence into those areas as well so that the city, as a whole can prosper.
All I do is tell the truth. I refuse to lie or hide the truth on a public forum to try to lure people to KC and more specifically urban KC.

What is the motivation for some for always steering people clear of suburbs, most notably Johnson County?

Last edited by luzianne; 02-23-2017 at 05:30 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 05:40 PM

8 posts, read 5,013 times
Why don't we start by acknowledging that the Kansas City forum is a subcategory of the MISSOURI thread. It seems only natural that people drawn to this forum (for whatever reason) would be interested first and foremost in promoting and building-up the Missouri side of KC. Do the St. Louis forum folks tell people to move to Illinois?

I realize Johnson County is an attractive area, understandably because it is newer and has a lot of wealth to maintain it. But I'll say it again, we really ought to be concerned about the whole metro.

Why don't you first answer my questions from the post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or