U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2017, 06:54 PM
 
519 posts, read 468,914 times
Reputation: 325

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
A crazy person in Olathe Kansas does not equal the pervasive crime culture in Kansas City Missouri.
Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2017, 02:51 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,668 posts, read 5,648,652 times
Reputation: 7512
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxist View Post
Why don't we start by acknowledging that the Kansas City forum is a subcategory of the MISSOURI thread. It seems only natural that people drawn to this forum (for whatever reason) would be interested first and foremost in promoting and building-up the Missouri side of KC. Do the St. Louis forum folks tell people to move to Illinois?

I realize Johnson County is an attractive area, understandably because it is newer and has a lot of wealth to maintain it. But I'll say it again, we really ought to be concerned about the whole metro.

Why don't you first answer my questions from the post above.
The big difference between you and luzianne is that you are here to advance an eccentric socio-political agenda, whereas luzianne is here to tell it like it is. Her extensive knowledge and experience in the area as a life-long resident, combined with her agenda-free honesty, make her....by far....the most valuable contributor to the KC forum.

A big part, sadly perhaps the biggest part, of attempting to keep this forum reality-based is countering the constant flow of attacks and misinformation that flows from a handful of agenda-driven posters about the Kansas side suburbs and residents thereof. luzianne has been at the forefront of this battle for many years simply because somebody has to do it and no one does it better than her. This forum is a far better place for her efforts and we owe her a debt of gratitude.

Your (highlighted) premise is pulled from thin air. This forum's purpose is to be a source for relocation-related info for the whole metro, which happens to straddle a state line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 04:07 AM
 
8,812 posts, read 9,633,206 times
Reputation: 6695
I think this looks more like a ploy by Brownback to curry favor. Nobody is saying great things about him so he tosses out the old let's build an airport in JOCO again talk. I have heard this talk for 20-30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 06:15 AM
 
1,298 posts, read 985,135 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxist View Post
Why don't we start by acknowledging that the Kansas City forum is a subcategory of the MISSOURI thread. It seems only natural that people drawn to this forum (for whatever reason) would be interested first and foremost in promoting and building-up the Missouri side of KC. Do the St. Louis forum folks tell people to move to Illinois?

I realize Johnson County is an attractive area, understandably because it is newer and has a lot of wealth to maintain it. But I'll say it again, we really ought to be concerned about the whole metro.

Why don't you first answer my questions from the post above.
Even though I am a KCMO-booster, and, by residence, a Missourian, I disagree with this. The purpose of the Kansas City forum (or any forum) is not to promote a particular geographic area. It is simply to have productive discussion about a geographic area.

And I agree with those who maintain that the geographic area in question here is the Kansas City metro, which includes both states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh PA
402 posts, read 300,966 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Her extensive knowledge and experience in the area as a life-long resident, combined with her agenda-free honesty, make her....by far....the most valuable contributor to the KC forum.
Hahahahahahahahahah thanks for making me laugh! You Jo County people are all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2017, 01:40 PM
 
12,615 posts, read 14,626,937 times
Reputation: 14115
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxist View Post
Why don't we start by acknowledging that the Kansas City forum is a subcategory of the MISSOURI thread. It seems only natural that people drawn to this forum (for whatever reason) would be interested first and foremost in promoting and building-up the Missouri side of KC.


Wrong. The Kansas City area includes two states and lots of counties. Promoting and building up the Missouri side of KC is not the objective here. That's kind of a strange idea if you ask me. Different areas are going to attract different people. MOST people do not live in urban KC. So saying that's what should be promoted is just strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2017, 10:56 AM
 
112 posts, read 62,035 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Hahahahahahahahahah thanks for making me laugh! You Jo County people are all the same.
This is a horrible thing to say, and patently untrue. I live in Johnson County, and yet I spend my free time actively promoting downtown Kansas City. I spend real hours of my life doing that in the real world. Do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2017, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
3,666 posts, read 1,776,951 times
Reputation: 2210
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Even though I am a KCMO-booster, and, by residence, a Missourian, I disagree with this. The purpose of the Kansas City forum (or any forum) is not to promote a particular geographic area. It is simply to have productive discussion about a geographic area.

And I agree with those who maintain that the geographic area in question here is the Kansas City metro, which includes both states.
Indeed.

The only reason it's in the Missouri forum is because its principal city is in that state.

As the Mid-America Regional Counci's website lists it:

119 Cities - 9 Counties* - 2 States - 1 Region

*That's two fewer than the Census Bureau includes in the MSA.

The caveat on the "one region" part from where I sit mainly has to do with the governor who's tossed this out as even his own party bails on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2017, 08:19 PM
 
Location: IN
20,175 posts, read 34,515,073 times
Reputation: 12514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Indeed.

The only reason it's in the Missouri forum is because its principal city is in that state.

As the Mid-America Regional Counci's website lists it:

119 Cities - 9 Counties* - 2 States - 1 Region

*That's two fewer than the Census Bureau includes in the MSA.

The caveat on the "one region" part from where I sit mainly has to do with the governor who's tossed this out as even his own party bails on him.
The Census Bureau adds in counties to the KC metro area that are very marginal and peripheral exclusively due to having a certain percentage of residents commuting to the more populated counties. Some counties that really shouldn't be included in the MSA include: Caldwell, MO, Bates, MO, and Linn, KS. All three counties have fewer than 25 people per square mile and have lost population since 2010. So, the model they used previously to include those counties based on commuting does not compute very well anymore, particularly since they are well beyond the reaches of most or any exurban sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2017, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
3,666 posts, read 1,776,951 times
Reputation: 2210
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Census Bureau adds in counties to the KC metro area that are very marginal and peripheral exclusively due to having a certain percentage of residents commuting to the more populated counties. Some counties that really shouldn't be included in the MSA include: Caldwell, MO, Bates, MO, and Linn, KS. All three counties have fewer than 25 people per square mile and have lost population since 2010. So, the model they used previously to include those counties based on commuting does not compute very well anymore, particularly since they are well beyond the reaches of most or any exurban sprawl.
Did I say "two fewer"?

Make that six.

The counties included in the Census Bureau definition but not the MARC membership are:

In Missouri: Bates, Caldwell, Clinton, Lafayette
In Kanasas: Linn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top