U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:13 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Kansas is going to build a new commercial airport? Lol haha, that's the stupidest and funniest thing I have heard in a while. What next Brownback? A subway system for Wichita?
Comments like this make me hope it happens. It's not impossible. It wouldn't be the first time KCMO failed to compete and lost an opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 02:19 PM

146 posts, read 101,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
Kansas is going to build a new commercial airport? Lol haha, that's the stupidest and funniest thing I have heard in a while. What next Brownback? A subway system for Wichita?

And people are making a big deal that 51% of KCIs customers are from kansas...
It's only because the entire state of kansass has to drive to Missouri because they don't have a big city airport or decent flight options.
If I had my way I'd charge a $25 airport-use tax on any flyers that have a kansas zip flying in/out of KCI.
Like where else would kansans go to? You should be happy you live next to a real city that has big city amenities and start contributing your fair share.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:20 PM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think if you were to poll the majority of area residents you would find just the opposite, because that is what KC residents have been saying all along - that they don't want to change the airport.

And I think city hall will use any tactic they can, including touting "security requirements" to get what they want.
I modified that phrase with "who actually fly into or out of that airport."

That may be inaccurate as well, but it is an important qualifier.

Has The Star or any of the TV stations done any opinion polling that
  • breaks down results by status as airport user/non-user?
  • polls residents both inside the city and outside it?

Or any opinion polling at all?

I'm aware that when bonds for this purpose have gone before the voters so far, they've been rejected, even if taxes are not required to pay them back.

But I still wonder whether the voters and the airport users share that general sentiment. I do know that actual flyers don't like it - and the only other airport built to this design, DFW, doesn't get anywhere near as low a rating from that crowd.

(That's because for one thing, its concourses are much deeper than KCI's. That, more than anything, is the airport's biggest design flaw now.)

Old 02-13-2017, 02:24 PM

Build the new KCI in Johnson County?

Interesting comments in this old thread, including kcmo saying Kansas City doesn't need a brand new airport, just a new terminal.

And kcmo quoted from KCRag saying how convenient KCI is and how he loves the airport and so does everybody else who "flys" a lot. My, how things change.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/29548369-post110.html

05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
[shindig]
425 posts, read 446,899 times

KCMO, this wasn't your opinion a few years ago when you actually "lived" in Kansas City and not Washington D.C....other posters might find this interesting. These quotes were posted by kcmo (aka GRID) on the KCRAG forum a few years ago. I encourage others see how his "opinions" have done a 180 since moving out East. Afterall, we are just a bunch of country bumpkins here in KC, how would we know any different

KCRag Forum - View topic - We need a new airport!!!
"What do these other airports have that KCI doesn't? I mean there are fast food places and some bar and grills at KCI. At least at KCI you can actually "sit down" and eat a cheeseburger and read the paper vs having to stand in some concourse or drag your food to a waiting area.

There are very few airports that truly offer a "mall" atmosphere and even they don't seem to have as many dining choices as one would like.

I think it's obvious that KCI is simply spread out over multiple terminals. You can easily fly into a smaller terminal at other airports and get the same feeling you do flying into terminal C at KCI, but you know the airport is more than what you are seeing.

I don't care what an airport offers, what I remember is that in many large airports, I have to be at the security gate 2 hours before my flight or I am toast. I get to KCI 20 minutes before my plane leaves all the time (not by choice ).

KCI is ok, the thing I hate about KCI is flying into it from the west or north. I'm a "window seater" and its like you are landing in Wyoming when approaching from those directions. Although I have never flown into DIA and I would assume its pretty similar."

"Would you rather tear down Gladstone or Raytown to expand it like what Lambert is doing? KCI is no longer "way" out there. It's right of the edge of the city, the flight patterns tend to be over western KCK or Smithville, but oh well. When I fly into KCI from cities to the south east, you fly over the entire city.

Seems like everybody who flys a lot (like myself) love the airport."

"What the hell is wrong with KCI? I can't wait for the day that we have a single terminal with 2 hour queues to get in, traffic jams etc. If they can do it fine, I'm all for it, but till then, I will enjoy the convenience of KCI, the low fares, and decent non-stop to just about everywhere.

It's nice having an airport designed for KC residents. Anybody that flys a lot likes KCI.

Just build up the area around KCI."

Last edited by luzianne; 02-13-2017 at 02:36 PM..

Old 02-13-2017, 02:50 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
luzianne, your post about my previous thoughts about KCI are proof of what is going on in KC. I liked KC before my eyes were opened. Before I a became a true frequent flyer and really got to experience other airports, especially midsized airports.

I had never used another airport as a home airport before KCI, so like most people in KC, they fly into airports they are not familiar with and end up spending a lot more time there then they are used to. Most of time , you fly out of KC and into much larger airports like DFW, OHara, ATL, PHX, LAX etc. I would rarely fly from KCI to a similar sized city like Indy or Columbus or Cincy because I would always drive those places. KCI is not and will never ever be a huge mega airport. That ship sailed long ago. Most people in KC, including myself back then, would compare KCI to airports that were many times larger with many times the flights. Now that I have used many mid sized airports and I have used something other than KCI as a home airport, I have a totally different opinion of KCI.

I had flown into BWI and DCA, but they always seemed much more time consuming than KCI. But once I moved and started using BWI and DCA on a regular basis, it didn't take long to see just how easy and convenient they are to use and once you learn to use them. Parking, being dropped, off, baggage, etc are all just as easy as KCI, they really are. Also, TSA wait times are nothing like they were in the years following 9-11, even at the biggest airports. But on top of that, you get all the other conveniences of a better and larger airport like more flights, more seating, larger restrooms, dining options (really nice for when I don't have time to eat before going to the airport or if a flight is delayed.).

Also, while most airports have gotten much better with shorter TSA waits etc since 9-11, KCI has gotten MUCH worse than it was back then. Back then KCI had about three time as many airlines spread across all three terminals. Now there is one less terminal because of airline mergers and Southwest has half of all flights. So the SW portion of KCI is one of the worst experiences in the entire Southwest system. Considering that SW is now the largest carrier of domestic flight sin the USA, that's pretty bad.

Most people I know in KC (those that fly) that used to think the same way I did, have also changed their mind about KCI.

And for the record, I still think the location of KCI is fine. Moving the entire airport to another part of the metro would be one of the biggest colossal waste of money in the history of united states infrastructure spending.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Comments like this make me hope it happens. It's not impossible. It wouldn't be the first time KCMO failed to compete and lost an opportunity.
It's people with your exact stubborn "don't change anything" is why KCMO has "failed to compete" here. It has nothing to do with the city government. They have been trying to fix KCI for decades. It's your demographic that is holding the city back.

But now with this idea of moving the airport to KC, then all of the sudden you go from loving KCI the way it is to KCMO failing. Typical.

While this has zero chance of happening, I can see Brownback trying, but here is the best case scenario for Brownback. There is only one option New Century. A general aviation airport with almost no infrastructure for a commercial airport. Kansas ask SW to build a terminal, Kansas then takes more money from education etc to build what SW is not going to build to make that airport work and SW moves their flights there.

Never mind years of environmental studies, the fact that the FAA will probably say no way etc.

I have no idea where broke Kansas is going to find the money to convert that airport into a major commercial airport. Even if Soutwest were to build a terminal, it would only be for them and only funded by them. So it won't be a billion dollar terminal funded by all the airlines at MCI. (the entire airport is not moving, not even in fantasy land).

So Kansas ends up with a 200-300 million dollar terminal slapped onto the side of a runway in Gardner. SW reduces flights because they just lost half of their potential connections at KCI.

Everything else about that airport is sub par. Taxiways, parking, de-icing, parking structures, airport fire station, Air traffic control tower etc that Southwest nor the FAA are going to pay for.

Not to mention you will go from being near thousands of hotel rooms and within a few miles of the huge retail district of Zona Rosa and Tiffany Springs to literally the middle of nowhere.

Talk about a podunk first impression of KC. Nothing will happen though. The city will find a way to improve KCI. It's really the only rational option.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:37 PM

I have NEVER had a long TSA wait at KCI - never. Phoenix Sky Harbor was the most awful TSA wait I have ever encountered. I have always gotten right through at KCI.

And unlike the "typical" Kansas Citian that you are trying to stereotype, I DO fly into similar sized airports - like John Wayne, Dallas Love Field, Fort Myers, Lambert and Nashville and smaller airports like Spokane - all since 9/11. Not one of them have been as convenient as KCI. There was not one of them that I was able to park and walk across the street to board or deplane and walk across the street to a car. Only KCI has that.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It's people with your exact stubborn "don't change anything" is why KCMO has "failed to compete" here. It has nothing to do with the city government. They have been trying to fix KCI for decades. It's your demographic that is holding the city back.

But now with this idea of moving the airport to KC, then all of the sudden you go from loving KCI the way it is to KCMO failing. Typical.

While this has zero chance of happening, I can see Brownback trying, but here is the best case scenario for Brownback. There is only one option New Century. A general aviation airport with almost no infrastructure for a commercial airport. Kansas ask SW to build a terminal, Kansas then takes more money from education etc to build what SW is not going to build to make that airport work and SW moves their flights there.

Never mind years of environmental studies, the fact that the FAA will probably say no way etc.

I have no idea where broke Kansas is going to find the money to convert that airport into a major commercial airport. Even if Soutwest were to build a terminal, it would only be for them and only funded by them. So it won't be a billion dollar terminal funded by all the airlines at MCI. (the entire airport is not moving, not even in fantasy land).

So Kansas ends up with a 200-300 million dollar terminal slapped onto the side of a runway in Gardner. SW reduces flights because they just lost half of their potential connections at KCI.

Everything else about that airport is sub par. Taxiways, parking, de-icing, parking structures, airport fire station, Air traffic control tower etc that Southwest nor the FAA are going to pay for.

Not to mention you will go from being near thousands of hotel rooms and within a few miles of the huge retail district of Zona Rosa and Tiffany Springs to literally the middle of nowhere.

Talk about a podunk first impression of KC. Nothing will happen though. The city will find a way to improve KCI. It's really the only rational option.

First of all, it's not my demographic because my demographic has no say in what happens to KCI.

Second, you and I both know the money wouldn't be coming from education or anything else. The airlines are supposed to pay for it, right? That's what people keep telling Missourians, that they won't have to pay for it. I assume it would be the same for Kansas. It's not like broke Missouri has the money to pay for a new airport on their own, either.

Third, I don't think they meant a Southwest-only terminal. From what I understand, it is to REPLACE KCI, not have a terminal only for Southwest. And I don't think New Century is what they are talking about.

And it's not in the middle of nowhere. The stadiums are in the middle of nowhere. Most people DO NOT get off a plane and stay in the hotels right by KCI. They drive into the city. And a JoCo airport would be much closer to the city than the current location.

I do love KCI the way it is. I would be perfectly fine with it staying the way it is. But if the legislators are going to force a new terminal, then I think building it in JoCo or even WyCo would be just fine.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I have NEVER had a long TSA wait at KCI - never. Phoenix Sky Harbor was the most awful TSA wait I have ever encountered. I have always gotten right through at KCI.

And unlike the "typical" Kansas Citian that you are trying to stereotype, I DO fly into similar sized airports - like John Wayne, Dallas Love Field, Fort Myers, Lambert and Nashville and smaller airports like Spokane - all since 9/11. Not one of them have been as convenient as KCI. There was not one of them that I was able to park and walk across the street to board or deplane and walk across the street to a car. Only KCI has that.
KCI has waits all the time at Southwest gates, mostly in the early mornings. And once inside during those times, everything breaks down. Lines to check bags, places to sit to wait, bathrooms overcrowding etc.

How many times have you used PHX? It gets busy, but like any airport, if you fly off peak, it's fine.

Regardless, you are seriously basing what to do with KCI with your minimal experience at PHX? An airport with almost six times the traffic of MCI? You can't even compare the two airports. You have been told this about 500 times. Compare KCI to similar sized airports with a similar amount of flights. KCI will lose almost every time.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:56 PM

519 posts, read 467,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post

And people are making a big deal that 51% of KCIs customers are from kansas...
It's only because the entire state of kansass has to drive to Missouri because they don't have a big city airport or decent flight options.
If I had my way I'd charge a $25 airport-use tax on any flyers that have a kansas zip flying in/out of KCI.
Like where else would kansans go to? You should be happy you live next to a real city that has big city amenities and start contributing your fair share.
I think it's actually about 60% of KCI users are from the Kansas side, and the reason for that is about half of KC metro's population lives on the Kansas side, mainly for the better quality of life they have there. Most of the business in KC is on the Kansas side, so a lot of people flying into KC are going to the Kansas suburbs, so actually KCI should really be on the Kansas side if you want to look at the people flying in and out of Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or