U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 04:06 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
First of all, it's not my demographic because my demographic has no say in what happens to KCI.

Second, you and I both know the money wouldn't be coming from education or anything else. The airlines are supposed to pay for it, right? That's what people keep telling Missourians, that they won't have to pay for it. I assume it would be the same for Kansas. It's not like broke Missouri has the money to pay for a new airport on their own, either.

Third, I don't think they meant a Southwest-only terminal. From what I understand, it is to REPLACE KCI, not have a terminal only for Southwest. And I don't think New Century is what they are talking about.

And it's not in the middle of nowhere. The stadiums are in the middle of nowhere. Most people DO NOT get off a plane and stay in the hotels right by KCI. They drive into the city. And a JoCo airport would be much closer to the city than the current location.

I do love KCI the way it is. I would be perfectly fine with it staying the way it is. But if the legislators are going to force a new terminal, then I think building it in JoCo or even WyCo would be just fine.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The reason the airlines are paying for a new terminal at MCI is because all MCI needs is a new terminal.

New Century would need 2-3 times the cost of a terminal alone, especially for it to function at the level of KCI. And that's if you can somehow make it work with just one long runway (not likely). The airlines are NOT going to pay for everything else New Century would need. The FAA is NOT going to fund it either. To move all airlines to New Century, it would cost 2-3 billion dollars. Where is Kansas gong to get the 1-2 billion in addition to the terminal?

For a totally new airport in a totally new location, you are talking about such a huge number, it's hardly worth disusing. You are looking at decades of studies before such a project would even happen. But let's say we skip all that. It would cost at least a billion, if not 2 billion just to acquire all the land, buy properties and tear them down etc. Then you would need at least one runway, but likely 2 runways (would still be a downgrade from MCI's three long runways). Billions more. All the taxiways for large jets, de-icing, detention areas, a massive roadway network to this new location. Another billions. I'll just stop there because the idea is so stupid.

And KCI has the largest cluster of hotels in the metro. There are 1000's of hotel rooms near KCI with 1-2 new ones opening every year. About the ONLY reason they are there is due to the airport. I mean, KC gets some tourists from Omaha, but not that many. There are almost no hotels in Gardner and the few they have are very low end. People that fly to KC do stay in the city, but a whole lot of them stay near KCI. Long distance locals stay there too when flying out.

Finally, KCI is closer to the city than New Century is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 04:16 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,147,204 times
Quote:
Ever since the news broke that a terminal is being considered for Johnson County, I have seen numerous sources saying that MORE THAN HALF of KCI's passengers are from the Kansas side and that it is ridiculous that the people that use the airport the most have no say.
I have heard a couple people say that, but haven't seen a source on it. Has anybody? Certainly they have that data, but if people are referencing the "study" which counted license plates in the parking lots a couple years ago, that's not really relevant data for anything except who uses the parking lots more. Even if "more than half" are from Kansas, which I would certainly believe, that's quite a bit different than being from "the Kansas side" (of the metro). I'd be surprised if even half the airport's users were from anywhere in the metro.

And there is nothing ridiculous about "people that use the airport the most" having no say. KCMO owns the airport. The people who use it are consuming a service offered by KCMO. That's like arguing that a customer at a restaurant should be able to decide who gets hired to be the waitress.

If Kansas wants to build a new airport, I'm all for it. I couldn't care less. I think KCMO would be hurt by it, but as a region, anything that brings more direct flight options is fine by me.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:52 PM

290 posts, read 230,277 times
According to Lynn Horsley,

Quote:
Discussions about KCI set to resume right after April 4 election, with intense neighborhood engagement. Maybe a citywide vote November.
https://twitter.com/LynnHorsley

From a talk I had with the director of the City Communications Office for KCMO at an event not too long, he stated half of the users at KCI are from Kansas.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:35 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KCI has waits all the time at Southwest gates, mostly in the early mornings. And once inside during those times, everything breaks down. Lines to check bags, places to sit to wait, bathrooms overcrowding etc.

How many times have you used PHX? It gets busy, but like any airport, if you fly off peak, it's fine.

Regardless, you are seriously basing what to do with KCI with your minimal experience at PHX? An airport with almost six times the traffic of MCI? You can't even compare the two airports. You have been told this about 500 times. Compare KCI to similar sized airports with a similar amount of flights. KCI will lose almost every time.
I flew Southwest twice in December and twice last May and that was not the case. No wait.

No, I am not basing anything on PHX. I just commented that it was the worse TSA line I have ever been in. KCI has been the easiest, no matter who I compare it to. And I'd say I probably fly in/out of KCI more than you do the last several years.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I flew Southwest twice in December and twice last May and that was not the case. No wait.

No, I am not basing anything on PHX. I just commented that it was the worse TSA line I have ever been in. KCI has been the easiest, no matter who I compare it to. And I'd say I probably fly in/out of KCI more than you do the last several years.
Well then I guess it's settled. You should try to get in touch with the KC Aviation department and the airlines and let them know that KCI is fine.

Seriously, I understand that there are typically no waits at KCI. There are typically few delays when I fly out of KCI as well. But when more than one flight leaves or arrives at the same time in the same gate area, things quickly begin to bog down.

The TSA waits are obviously not the biggest problem with KCI. I don't think anybody has stated otherwise. Things do get bad though and when they do, KCI is unable to adjust and open more TSA lines because they have no other lines to open for a specific gate area. So Southwest can't have three flights leave within a hours without huge problem while the rest of the airport is a ghost town and all the other TSA agents are just sitting around with no travelers.

Bottom line is that TSA waits are not the problem now and they won't be a problem with a new terminal. If anything, the times when KCI does have TSA waits would go away with a new terminal. But lots of other issues would be fixed too.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:05 PM

Oh and I don't know why people would think it's odd that 50% over even slightly over 50% of KCI users are from Kansas. When you include Topeka, the KS side of the KC region is about 50/50. Plus, KCI is the major airport for nearly all of Kansas with some overlap with OKC and DIA. KCI even draws a lot of people from Wichita.

KCI servers much less of Missouri with at least half the state using STL.

If the airport was already in Kansas, it would make no sense to move it to Missouri. Same with KCI. There is just no reason to move it. But hey, if Kansas can find several billion dollars to build a new airport just so it's in their state. I guess more power to them.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 PM

519 posts, read 468,380 times
Would be nice if someone, George Soros perhaps, would finance a new airport.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 PM

48,898 posts, read 39,401,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
No, YOU didn't say it. I wasn't talking about you.
Reading is fundamental.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:37 PM

48,898 posts, read 39,401,698 times
*shrug* I like KCI, I've never had a problem there getting through security fast etc.

Unless someone can post something concrete, I often wonder if some of the complaints about KCI are just the same crap as their stupid 20+ mile train line from the airport....people that want their airport and city to look like a city with 8+million residents whether it's a sane thing or not.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:18 PM

290 posts, read 230,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
*shrug* I like KCI, I've never had a problem there getting through security fast etc.

Unless someone can post something concrete, I often wonder if some of the complaints about KCI are just the same crap as their stupid 20+ mile train line from the airport....people that want their airport and city to look like a city with 8+million residents whether it's a sane thing or not.
It doesn't matter anymore if KCI is decent enough for KC. With this Brownback proposal, KCMO leadership will go into high gear to get a new terminal constructed. Even if it seems far fetched, the leadership won't allow KCI to be usurped by another airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or