U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:55 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
It doesn't matter anymore if KCI is decent enough for KC. With this Brownback proposal, KCMO leadership will go into high gear to get a new terminal constructed. Even if it seems far fetched, the leadership won't allow KCI to be usurped by another airport.
Exactly. I understand the only way Kansas can grow its economy is by snatching economic activity from the MO side of KC.

But KCMO and Platte county (along with Jeff City if needed) are not going to let something like this happen. The economic impact of KCI to the Northland area of metro KC and the city of KCMO is just too much.

I still say the chances of this happening are zero anyway. Absolutely zero. Even if KC does nothing with KCI's terminal, nothing will happen. KCI will continue to decline, but it won't move to Kansas. However, this Brownback nonsense is great for waking up KCMO residents to let them allow the city and airlines to rebuild the terminal and improve the airport and ultimately Kansas City.

I also have a feeling that Downtown KCMO is on the verge of payback to Kansas. In another 5-10 years, it will be the Kansas side screaming for a bi-state economic border war truce as more and more companies move "back" to the city. The economy of Kansas won't be getting better anytime soon, especially if they run out of things to poach from Missouri.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-14-2017 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 06:08 AM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
I think it's actually about 60% of KCI users are from the Kansas side, and the reason for that is about half of KC metro's population lives on the Kansas side, mainly for the better quality of life they have there. Most of the business in KC is on the Kansas side, so a lot of people flying into KC are going to the Kansas suburbs, so actually KCI should really be on the Kansas side if you want to look at the people flying in and out of Kansas City.
FTR, the population split within the Kansas City metropolitan area is 55% Missouri, 45% Kansas.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
FTR, the population split within the Kansas City metropolitan area is 55% Missouri, 45% Kansas.
That entire post by lovekcmo is not even worth responding to and I ignored it the first time I read it. But why not...

Quote:
I think it's actually about 60% of KCI users are from the Kansas side
I have seen where it's over 50%, but barely. But now we round up to 60%? May as well say it's 75% while we are at it. Are you Trump? Again, it makes sense. KCI is the only airport for the entire state of KS while MO shares two large airports, so people don't drive as far from out state MO to fly out of KC. Also, one of the biggest users of KCI is Leavenworth and KCI is very convenient to them.

Quote:
And the reason for that is about half of KC metro's population lives on the Kansas side, mainly for the better quality of life they have there.
So now we round down? It's more like 55-60% live on the MO side, depending on if you include Lawrence.

Quote:
Mainly for the better quality of life they have there.
This is just an absurd comment. KS has ONE high quality of life county in the entire state and its a leech off Missouri. The MO side has at least as many high quality suburban areas as the Kansas side.

Quote:
Most of the business in KC is on the Kansas side
Most? Again are you Trump? Businesses are about equally split between both sides, but the MO side still has slightly more.

Quote:
So actually KCI should really be on the Kansas side if you want to look at the people flying in and out of Kansas City.
Based on what exactly? Moving KCI to the far flung areas of JoCo will not make the airport anymore convenient to most of metro KCi, including much of Johnson County and all of Wyandotte and Leavenworth counties not to mention Topeka. It would be a colossal waste of money.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:53 AM

Brownback should build a new Union Station in Gardner too. It can be next to the intermodal facility.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:51 AM

684 posts, read 581,817 times
I've been saying all along that Kansas wants not just a major airport, but our airport. And it wouldn't surprise me one bit that KCI making Trump's list for national infrastructure projects didn't get Brownback drooling. He'll do everything he can to intermeddle and curry favor with Trump for federal funds.

St. Louis airport is already on that list. So Brownback may try and lobby for the state of Kansas to have something too.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:35 AM

146 posts, read 101,111 times
Everything about Kansas City - the culture, the music, jazz/blues, BBQ heritage, the architecture, the attractions, museums, pro sports, universities, airport and MOST residents live on the Missouri side. Kansas City is uniquely "Missouri." Everything great about Kansas City and the only reason companies are in this region is because of Kansas City Missouri.

The only reason someone would live in kansass is because they moved here from podunk kansas and want to remain on the kansas side. Or they move here to work for one of the corporate droid companies perched on some parking lagoon in the middle of nowhere lenexa and want to live in a ranch box nearby. The kansas side poached a few greedy companies across the state line to work in crappy suburban office lagoons and the kansas side grew, but there is nothing 'kansas' about Kansas City. The kansas suburbs are only a subsidiary of Kansas City Missouri. In 10-15 years the Northland will be fully competitive and equal to johnson county in every way as it is booming while johnsonville is showing signs of becoming a has-been very quickly. There is no chance the airport would ever be built on the kansas side.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:46 AM

401 posts, read 299,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
I think it's actually about 60% of KCI users are from the Kansas side, and the reason for that is about half of KC metro's population lives on the Kansas side, mainly for the better quality of life they have there. Most of the business in KC is on the Kansas side, so a lot of people flying into KC are going to the Kansas suburbs, so actually KCI should really be on the Kansas side if you want to look at the people flying in and out of Kansas City.
WTF, change your user name to lovekansas! Better quality of life is on the MO side dude. Northtown, Lee's summit etc = Jo County, but there is nothing equal to downtown, westport, plaza etc. I don't think kck has thousands of new urban apartments under construction. It's areas like the river market that offer a high quality of life to many people and you don't even have that option in Kansas.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:49 AM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That entire post by lovekcmo is not even worth responding to and I ignored it the first time I read it. But why not...

I have seen where it's over 50%, but barely. But now we round up to 60%? May as well say it's 75% while we are at it. Are you Trump? Again, it makes sense. KCI is the only airport for the entire state of KS while MO shares two large airports, so people don't drive as far from out state MO to fly out of KC. Also, one of the biggest users of KCI is Leavenworth and KCI is very convenient to them.

So now we round down? It's more like 55-60% live on the MO side, depending on if you include Lawrence.

This is just an absurd comment. KS has ONE high quality of life county in the entire state and its a leech off Missouri. The MO side has at least as many high quality suburban areas as the Kansas side.

Most? Again are you Trump? Businesses are about equally split between both sides, but the MO side still has slightly more.

Based on what exactly? Moving KCI to the far flung areas of JoCo will not make the airport anymore convenient to most of metro KCi, including much of Johnson County and all of Wyandotte and Leavenworth counties not to mention Topeka. It would be a colossal waste of money.
Just a few comments on the percentages and balances:
  • That 55-45 split I cited is based on Census Bureau population figures for only the 2 million-plus residents of the 14 counties (9 in Missouri, 5 in Kansas) that currently comprise the Kansas City metropolitan area. Just as the presence of the Federal penitentiary and Army base kept Leavenworth County out of the metro for several decades, the presence of the University of Kansas keeps Douglas County out of it now. Shawnee County, home to the state capital of Topeka, is even more of a stretch, though both it and Douglas County have strong ties to Kansas City. Cross-county commuting percentages are the basis for including a county in a metropolitan area.
  • What makes Kansas City unusual among bi- or multi-state metropolitan areas is the closeness of the split. In all the others, the state containing the core city includes at least 60 percent, and more typically two-thirds or more, of the metropolitan area population; the only other exception to this rule is the three-state, one-district Washington, DC, metro, but that's only because the core city is its own "state equivalent."
  • If the percentage of KCI users who come from Kansas is higher than 55 percent, it's probably because there's no other major airport so close to most of the state's population. DIA is close only to the sparsely populated western reaches of the state.
  • While it is true that Johnson County consists of suburbs of Kansas City, Mo., Wyandotte County is a "core" county separate and distinct from the rest of the Kansas side of the metro. Given its population growth trends and the condition of the older parts of Kansas City, Kan. (which I describe to friends and acquaintances on the East Coast as "a little bit of the Rust Belt on the prairie"), it's definitely not a KCMo suburb, even though its early growth (and its adopting the city next door's name in the 1880s) are due to the late-19th-century boom on the Missouri side. Leavenworth County likewise retains some distinct "core"ness thanks to those Federal facilities.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:14 PM

While KCK has its own core and independent identity, I consider it a suburb of KCMO at the same time. It's mostly a bedroom and industrial suburb. It's not a lot different than Independence, MO which was also very independent from KCMO at one time, but today is a suburb.

Also, KCK does not surpass KCMO's economic sphere of influence enough on the Kansas side. Suburbs much closer to KCK such as Shawnee and Lenexa are considered suburbs of KCMO, not KCK. KCK is not even the most important city on the KS side.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:29 PM

12,606 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
WTF, change your user name to lovekansas! Better quality of life is on the MO side dude. Northtown, Lee's summit etc = Jo County, but there is nothing equal to downtown, westport, plaza etc. I don't think kck has thousands of new urban apartments under construction. It's areas like the river market that offer a high quality of life to many people and you don't even have that option in Kansas.
Sorry, but better quality of life on the Kansas side! Always has been. Downtown/Westport/Plaza/midtown, northeast, NKC - been there, done that. A very small percentage of the population of the KC metro lives in downtown/Westport/Plaza. The rest live mainly in the suburbs.

There was someone beat up the other night -AGAIN - on the Plaza by juvenile thugs. There was a body found at Westport and Roanoke two days ago. There was another body found floating in Brush Creek. Nice place, huh?

Why don't you change your name to lovemissouri? And why'd you leave if it's so wonderful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or