Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 PM

131 posts, read 185,047 times
As kcmo said, as stupid an idea as this is. Its what will get idiots (sorry at this point anyone still protesting a new terminal is purposely ignoring information) to finally want to do something about KCI.

Now, If Brownback is serious about putting a international terminal in KS however, sticking it in KCK/WYCO actually isn't a terrible idea.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Brownback, having bankrupted the Sunflower State in pursuit of his rather rigid philosophy, will need all the help he can get to build an airport in JoCo.

I thought the airlines were going to pay for it?

I like KCI the way it is. It's convenient and I don't want a new airport that is going to be a hassle to get in and out of. But if one is going to be built anyway, I'd rather have it in Johnson County where is it more convenient to most of the metro plus areas south and west of the metro.

I spent my preschool years living up north and some of my fondest memories are the sound of airplanes overhead as I played outside. I don't know if the noise would be a factor for Johnson County. Maybe, since people are such babies these days. I also love the sound of trains and I see people complaining about that a lot too.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:10 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Finally, something to be happy about with Brownback. This has zero chance of happening, but it will finally wake up KCMO voters. Thank you Brownback!

You expected anything less? luzianne and crowvic will be first in line to love it even though it will have all the stuff they said they hated about a new terminal at MCI lol.
Um, I never said KCI is a piece of crap. All I have ever said is that I like it the way it is. If a new terminal is going to be built anyway, I'd rather have it in Johnson County.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:44 PM

639 posts, read 766,815 times
All Brownback needs to do is to talk to Southwest about building a terminal for them in Kansas. I would think Southwest would jump at the chance for a new terminal and being the only airline flying from it. That would be something if Kansas was able to build a 20 gate terminal and have Southwest leave KCI.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:27 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Finally, something to be happy about with Brownback. This has zero chance of happening, but it will finally wake up KCMO voters. Thank you Brownback!

You expected anything less? luzianne and crowvic will be first in line to love it even though it will have all the stuff they said they hated about a new terminal at MCI lol.
We both know that this is not a serious proposal, so it is a rather pointless exercise to talk about it. And Johnson Countians had better be careful what they ask for. A major commercial airport in their backyards would come with lots of cons that would smother the pros.

I say exactly what I've always said on this topic. KCI was a cutting edge design and still is....for heartland USA. No one predicted an America that would abruptly change direction and move under a full head of steam toward being Istanbul. Because no one in their right mind would let it happen.

Our woefully and tragically misguided national response to 911 is the problem - not KCI.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:49 AM

146 posts, read 223,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I say exactly what I've always said on this topic. KCI was a cutting edge design and still is....for heartland USA. No one predicted an America that would abruptly change direction and move under a full head of steam toward being Istanbul. Because no one in their right mind would let it happen.

Our woefully and tragically misguided national response to 911 is the problem - not KCI.
This is exactly right.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:05 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Um, I never said KCI is a piece of crap. All I have ever said is that I like it the way it is. If a new terminal is going to be built anyway, I'd rather have it in Johnson County.
No, YOU didn't say it. I wasn't talking about you.

But since you mentioned the convenience factor, you really are showing your hand here. You want an "international airport" that's more convenient to the "majority" of the metro population, and to areas south and west. But the majority do not live in Johnson County. And let's be real. The airport would not be at 95th and Metcalf. It would be way out in the corner of the county, such that it would be no closer to Jackson County residents than KCI is.

Nobody is suggesting that more than half of KCI's passengers come from Kansas. But that means (at least) the other half is coming from Missouri. KCI is situated near the Kansas state line, and is equally distant from the two halves (JoCo and JaCo) of the bulk of the metro's population. (If anything, it's more convenient to Johnson County than to Jackson County.) So what's the issue?

I currently live in Springfield, MO, and do almost all my flying out of KCI. Sure, I wish it was closer, but if you have a 45-minute drive to the airport, that's NOTHING to complain about.

Ultimately though, I agree with kcmo. This is not a serious proposal. Even if it did gain traction, it would not be realized during Brownback's term, nor the next governor, and maybe not the one after that. Even if the airlines pay for a terminal, that might be $1 billion out of 3 or 4 billion total, when runways, roadways, hangars, tarmacs and all other infrastructure is included. Kansas can't STAR-bond their way into this one.

So yeah, a genuine thank-you to Brownback for hopefully lighting a fire under KCMO's butt.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:29 AM

132 posts, read 171,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
No, YOU didn't say it. I wasn't talking about you.

But since you mentioned the convenience factor, you really are showing your hand here. You want an "international airport" that's more convenient to the "majority" of the metro population, and to areas south and west. But the majority do not live in Johnson County. And let's be real. The airport would not be at 95th and Metcalf. It would be way out in the corner of the county, such that it would be no closer to Jackson County residents than KCI is.

Nobody is suggesting that more than half of KCI's passengers come from Kansas. But that means (at least) the other half is coming from Missouri. KCI is situated near the Kansas state line, and is equally distant from the two halves (JoCo and JaCo) of the bulk of the metro's population. (If anything, it's more convenient to Johnson County than to Jackson County.) So what's the issue?

I currently live in Springfield, MO, and do almost all my flying out of KCI. Sure, I wish it was closer, but if you have a 45-minute drive to the airport, that's NOTHING to complain about.

Ultimately though, I agree with kcmo. This is not a serious proposal. Even if it did gain traction, it would not be realized during Brownback's term, nor the next governor, and maybe not the one after that. Even if the airlines pay for a terminal, that might be $1 billion out of 3 or 4 billion total, when runways, roadways, hangars, tarmacs and all other infrastructure is included. Kansas can't STAR-bond their way into this one.

So yeah, a genuine thank-you to Brownback for hopefully lighting a fire under KCMO's butt.
KIXD doesn't need any runways. It's a fully functional class D and could become a class C with radar services without much change (same as wichita or omaha).

The only thing that would need to be built is a terminal and decent access to I-35.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:29 AM

975 posts, read 1,404,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Having flown into and out of KCI on my most recent visit, I too am all too aware of its defects. What was revolutionary at the time has aged badly.

Is there any chance the Missouri law governing bond issues of this type could be amended or scrapped in short order?

Brownback, having bankrupted the Sunflower State in pursuit of his rather rigid philosophy, will need all the help he can get to build an airport in JoCo.

The fact of the matter is, unless we were to bulldoze North Kansas City and the BNSF railroad yards to vastly expand Wheeler Airport, no airport anywhere it might possibly be located in the KC region would be "centrally located" to all of it. Given where the flyers are coming from, either the current KCI location or JoCo make about equal sense, with the former Richards-Gebaur AFB (nee Grandview Airport) site third.
That misguided Missouri bond law is the only reason we're even having this discussion.

If that law didn't exist we would be discussing the opening of the new terminal right now. A new terminal that would've cost the taxpayers nothing and probably allowed for more flights.

Unfortunately, anyone who thinks that Southwest will add more flights to Kansas City is probably dreaming. Due to the inaction of renovations at KCI, Southwest has focused on Denver and St. Louis instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City