U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 01:12 PM

290 posts, read 229,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
With plans to revamp Kansas City International Airport stalled, Gov. Sam Brownback and others in Kansas government are exploring the possibility of building an airport in Johnson County to rival KCI, The Star has learned.

Read more here: Brownback considers an airport in Johnson County to compete with KCI | The Kansas City Star
I just want a new airport...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 01:26 PM

462 posts, read 401,395 times
There's so many flaws in this to begin with.. IF KCI would not shut down.. We would have 2 competing airports and both would have major flaws. The Kansas one would likely be somewhere very far from everyone in the North end of the metro and nobody would use it from up north. The original KCI location would suffer also. KC is not a top 5 market and could not support 2 different major airports and the state of Kansas is broke as it is due to terrible budget policies of cutting taxes and not increasing revenues and yet wants to fund this now? Where on earth would you have the room for a major airport like this in JOCO at also? Most people would scoff at the idea of increased traffic and the air traffic over their houses there. You'd pretty much have to build the thing in Miami County at this point. I wonder how much time and effort and money have been used or wasted by the state of Kansas in plotting this. FYI I am not a Missouri homer either and think its new governor is going to be terrible also and its headed in the wrong direction too..

Old 02-12-2017, 03:02 PM

132 posts, read 109,572 times
KIXD would work fine. It's right next to I-35.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:17 PM

519 posts, read 467,812 times
I could see this happening and I could see the airlines moving their operations, especially Southwest, to a new airport in Kansas. And why not in Kansas, the majority of flyers out of KC are Kansas residents, yet they have no say about a new terminal because it's only KC MO residents who can vote on it. An airport in JOCO would be more convent for the majority of metro residents and flyers. Makes more sense to build new airport in Kansas than putting any money into KCI.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:20 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,069,542 times
They would have to do one or the other. No way KC could support two international airports. Why don't both states collaborate on either improving KCI or building a new airport in another, convenient, location? Why would the Kansas one need to compete with KCI??

Old 02-12-2017, 04:31 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
I would definitely fly from a Johnson County airport, as would a whole lot of other people.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:49 PM

519 posts, read 467,812 times
I live on the Missouri side and I would prefer an airport in Johnson county over KCI's current location. There wouldn't be two operating airports, a new airport would drawl the airlines to move operations from KCI. I'm flying out of KCI this Wednesday and not looking forward to drive to get their, the ride on the shuttle from the parking lot, the whole long line, jammed up configuration to get through security and then to be squeezed into the cattle pen gates. The drive to the gate isn't what it used to be or all that it's cracked up to be. I'm traveling to Love Field which is such a nicer airport. By the time I get off my plane and get to the baggage carrousel, my bag will be there and I'm out the door.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:58 PM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
Having flown into and out of KCI on my most recent visit, I too am all too aware of its defects. What was revolutionary at the time has aged badly.

Is there any chance the Missouri law governing bond issues of this type could be amended or scrapped in short order?

Brownback, having bankrupted the Sunflower State in pursuit of his rather rigid philosophy, will need all the help he can get to build an airport in JoCo.

The fact of the matter is, unless we were to bulldoze North Kansas City and the BNSF railroad yards to vastly expand Wheeler Airport, no airport anywhere it might possibly be located in the KC region would be "centrally located" to all of it. Given where the flyers are coming from, either the current KCI location or JoCo make about equal sense, with the former Richards-Gebaur AFB (nee Grandview Airport) site third.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:04 PM

1,298 posts, read 982,763 times
Wait wait wait.

So when people suggest improving KCI, everyone says "Leave it alone, it's great!"

But when people suggest building a new airport in Johnson County to replace KCI, everyone says "Yeah, do it! KCI is a piece of crap."

Makes sense.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:07 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Finally, something to be happy about with Brownback. This has zero chance of happening, but it will finally wake up KCMO voters. Thank you Brownback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Wait wait wait.

So when people suggest improving KCI, everyone says "Leave it alone, it's great!"

But when people suggest building a new airport in Johnson County to replace KCI, everyone says "Yeah, do it! KCI is a piece of crap."

Makes sense.
You expected anything less? luzianne and crowvic will be first in line to love it even though it will have all the stuff they said they hated about a new terminal at MCI lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or