U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,504,291 times

Advertisements

Population of urban cores of KCMO and KCK doing better than projected

Interesting graphic showing how MARC's 2010 forecast for metro area growth compares to reality. This is surprising considering urban KCMO was well into revitalization mode by 2010. It's interesting how the neighborhoods outside of the Downtown to Plaza corridor in both east KCMO and east KCK are doing better than expected. It also looks like MARC was way off with growth estimates in the newer KS suburbs.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-17-2017 at 11:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 07:59 AM

3,661 posts, read 1,772,194 times
I find it interesting to note that there's a solid corridor of neighborhoods doing better than forecasted along Bruce Watkins Drive.

I'd love to know what's producing this outcome. Might the Green Impact Zone in Ivanhoe have something to do with it?

Old 02-20-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I find it interesting to note that there's a solid corridor of neighborhoods doing better than forecasted along Bruce Watkins Drive.

I'd love to know what's producing this outcome. Might the Green Impact Zone in Ivanhoe have something to do with it?
I think it has more to do with the area stabilizing than growing. MARC (Mid American Regional Council) has always had a suburban oriented mindset too, so their studies and projections and regional planning are often done with some suburban bias.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:28 AM

112 posts, read 61,926 times
Although I'm glad to see urban areas outpacing expected performance, it's disappointing to see the fastest growing areas underperforming. That means the metro as a whole isn't doing well. I'm a huge downtown advocate, but if the metro can't grow, downtown will eventually suffer too.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallastoChicagotoKC View Post
Although I'm glad to see urban areas outpacing expected performance, it's disappointing to see the fastest growing areas underperforming. That means the metro as a whole isn't doing well. I'm a huge downtown advocate, but if the metro can't grow, downtown will eventually suffer too.
I agree, however, you can point to some good reasons why the suburbs are not growing as fast as projected, especially on the Kansas side and it has a lot to do with regional cooperation, or lack thereof. Kansas has spent the past 20 years poaching off of Missouri and while there has been some short term gain for the Kansas side, I think the entire metro area is starting to see the long term consequences of such practices.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-20-2017 at 12:36 PM..

Old 02-20-2017, 12:31 PM

3,661 posts, read 1,772,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I agree, however, you can point to some good reasons why the suburbs are not growing as fast as projected, especially on the Kansas side and it has a lot to do with regional cooperation, or lor lack thereof. Kansas has spent the past 20 years poaching off of Missouri and while there has been some short term gain for the Kansas side, I think the entire metro area is starting to see the long term consequences of such practices.

Sure about that short-term gain?

I note with some interest that in the wake of losses for the True Believers in the most recent election, the Kansas legislature actually passed an income tax hike, though not by a veto-proof majority.

Whether from the left or from the right, faith-based governance usually fails to reward the faithful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or