U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 AM

10 posts, read 8,337 times

Advertisements

Good idea or not? I am single mom. I would like to buy house. I can afford houses in Sugar Creek, MO. I will be moving from Chicago. The taxes are too high in Illinois. How are the schools? Private and public. Is the crime rate high? thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 01:55 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,056,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi1982 View Post
Good idea or not? I am single mom. I would like to buy house. I can afford houses in Sugar Creek, MO. I will be moving from Chicago. The taxes are too high in Illinois. How are the schools? Private and public. Is the crime rate high? thank you
You'll find Sugar Creek to have a small town feel. It is a low-crime area, with a variety of housing options. The public schools are in the Independence School District. https://www.isdschools.org/

Sugar Creek is bordered mainly by Independence, which also has homes in similar price ranges. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:52 PM

146 posts, read 101,526 times
Quote:
Sugar Creek is a very small village tucked away against the north side of Independence.
It has a very small town feel and a very aggressive police dept - don't dare drive over the speed limit.
It is still subject to some crime and you will be doing most of your shopping near 24 Hwy which does have some crime. Also, Sugar Creek is surrounded by Independence MO's worst neighborhoods - basically the Meth Capital of the entire Universe. Your children will attend Independence MO public schools.

If you are looking for a more urban experience you could consider 2 miles west and live in Northeast Kansas City. It is very urban, has crime issues, but is also one of the coolest neighborhoods you could ever live. You will get far more house for your $$ in Northeast KC. KC housing is pretty cheap overall and there are several neighborhoods you could consider that are in the same price range as Sugar Creek.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:24 AM

Thank you for the advice. What about north Kansas City? Any information on Catholic Schools near Independence or Northeast KC?

Old 02-19-2017, 09:44 AM

2,905 posts, read 2,056,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post
Sugar Creek is a very small village tucked away against the north side of Independence.
It has a very small town feel and a very aggressive police dept - don't dare drive over the speed limit.
It is still subject to some crime and you will be doing most of your shopping near 24 Hwy which does have some crime. Also, Sugar Creek is surrounded by Independence MO's worst neighborhoods - basically the Meth Capital of the entire Universe. Your children will attend Independence MO public schools.
Please don't continue to bash Independence with this title. That moniker was given due to the aggressive action of our Police Department to rid us of meth labs. All of that was many years ago, and we no longer have that issue due to Police diligence. The NW areas of Independence are now lower in crime than the portions of KC to the west. That area has seen a drastic turnaround since the schools in that area were moved from the KC district to the much better Independence district.

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. What about north Kansas City? Any information on Catholic Schools near Independence or Northeast KC?
Western Independence has St. Ann's and Nativity of Mary Catholic churches. Sugar Creek has St. Cyril. The only Catholic grade school is...

School

If you prefer neat older homes of character look in the Englewood neighborhood of Independence.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:01 PM

146 posts, read 101,526 times
Quote:
North Kansas City would be a MUCH better choice in every way.
The housing cost will be an extra $100-$200/month but well worth it.
NKC is a the hidden gem of the entire metro IMO.
IT has a walkable downtown village, nice, clean, safe parks, great views of the skyline, great restaurants and LOW crime. And it's right across the river from downtown.

While not exclusively Catholic, this school is a fantastic, low cost, well ran, private Christian school in North KC.
https://www.facebook.com/outreachchristianeducation

Old 02-21-2017, 06:40 PM

35,819 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Quote:
Grade level?

My spouse used to teach at Holy Cross, a Catholic elementary in Kansas City's Northeast.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:26 AM

She will be in third grade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City