U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:18 AM

1,298 posts, read 985,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
All of 670 should be capped and let the downtown merge into Crown Center. Can one imagine KC's skyline if it wen from 8th st to Pershing Rd. KC would look incredible.
OK, you just said something I can wholeheartedly agree with. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 07:03 PM

519 posts, read 468,914 times
The North highway should never have been. 670 should be capped, and future new high-rise construction should be should be Truman Road south, KC could have a two mile in length skyline from 8th street to Crown Center. P&L 3 and 4 should be built on Truman south instead of trying to cram them into the downtown loop area. A Pet Peeve I've had about KC's decisions with building downtown was trying to keep all building of height within the loop. If all the beautiful buildings torn down within the loop had been allowed to stay and new building built out of the loop, the skyline would be so much more impressive and there would be so many more beautiful buildings downtown

Old 02-24-2017, 06:26 AM

This might be a good place to remind everyone of my "fantasy" for downtown Kansas City, as depicted by the map below. Note, in particular, the proposed highway arrangement for the downtown loop.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:26 AM

206 posts, read 182,881 times
Default That would be incredibly cool

Just think if different decisions had been made after WWII, to continue to emphasize mass transit and slowly transition car travel, and to keep the city intact, something like this could exist right now. That being said, it would probably look a bit more like historic KC, maybe even with a new/ refurbished stadium at 22nd and Brooklyn.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:30 PM

146 posts, read 101,649 times
YES! To all of the above!

Old 03-21-2017, 02:22 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,914,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
This might be a good place to remind everyone of my "fantasy" for downtown Kansas City, as depicted by the map below. Note, in particular, the proposed highway arrangement for the downtown loop.
Thanks. Needs to be upgraded to show streetcar going across the Buck O'Neil Bridge after it gets converted.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:55 PM

519 posts, read 468,914 times
If they remove the north or south leg of the loop, what then? Won't it just be a big ditch then? Talk about putting in bike paths everywhere is getting tiring to see and deal with. Until bikers have to be license/insured and pay property taxes, bikes shouldn't be on our roads that drivers pay for through taxes. If people want to ride a bike, let them haul their bike, in their car, to Swope Park and ride around the parklands.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:25 PM

12,615 posts, read 14,626,937 times
Quote:
If they remove the north or south leg of the loop, what then? Won't it just be a big ditch then? Talk about putting in bike paths everywhere is getting tiring to see and deal with. Until bikers have to be license/insured and pay property taxes, bikes shouldn't be on our roads that drivers pay for through taxes. If people want to ride a bike, let them haul their bike, in their car, to Swope Park and ride around the parklands.
I just wish they would USE the bike paths. I was driving yesterday and there was a group of about 25 cyclists. I had the right of way and was trying to turn left and they just kept going. My light turned red and I was still in the intersection because of bicyclists that were still going when they did not have the right of way. I couldn't very well run over them; I had to wait for them. It really irks me that they refuse to obey traffic signals and think they don't have to follow the same rules of the road that other vehicles do.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:46 PM

3,666 posts, read 1,776,951 times
Quote:
One, didn't you just say upthread that the north leg of the freeway loop should never have been built?

It's the oldest freeway in the city, by the way - built in 1954-56 to carry traffic from the Paseo Bridge. It was poorly designed to boot, with frequent ramps and many weave zones as a result.

Two, last I looked, bicycle owners pay taxes too. The only roads paid for exclusively with motor fuel taxes are the Interstates. City streets and most local roads are paid for out of the general fund, and bicyclists definitely pay taxes into that too. Bicycles are already forbidden to use Interstate highways.

You don't think bike riders live somewhere? They just materialize out of thin air? Guess what? Every one of them has a home too, and if they own that home, they pay property taxes just like you drivers do.

And bikes are not just recreational vehicles - they also serve as basic transport, and some bike owners use their bikes as such. Restricting them to parks would be absurd. They were around before cars and have the same right to use the road drivers and pedestrians do.

There is a segment of the bicycling community known as "vehicular cyclists." These people argue - correctly - that bicycles are vehicles, and that they should operate in the same lanes other traffic use. That also means riding in the middle of the general traffic lane and obeying the traffic laws (luzianne's criticism of bicyclists ignoring traffic laws is valid).

Even where marked bike lanes exist, the traffic laws say that motorists must share the road with bicyclists. What's more, except on Interstates, if someone wanted to walk down the middle of the street, that person would be entirely within his or her rights to do so. As the Massachusetts driver's manual states (or stated once), "The pedestrian has a natural right to use the road. You merely have a legal right to use it."

Old 03-22-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Until bikers have to be license/insured and pay property taxes, bikes shouldn't be on our roads that drivers pay for through taxes. If people want to ride a bike, let them haul their bike, in their car, to Swope Park and ride around the parklands.
This is your most hateful and ignorant comment so far. And that's not saying much.

Kudos to MarketStEl for rebutting it effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or