U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:29 PM

519 posts, read 468,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
This is your most hateful and ignorant comment so far. And that's not saying much.

Kudos to MarketStEl for rebutting it effectively.
Let bikers share the road when they have a license plate on their bike and carry liability insurance for if they hit a car. I've yet to meet a person who is happy about bike lanes in the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:53 PM

290 posts, read 230,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekcmo View Post
Let bikers share the road when they have a license plate on their bike and carry liability insurance for if they hit a car. I've yet to meet a person who is happy about bike lanes in the streets.
KC has to be one of the least biked cities in the entire country. Where are all these bicyclists you're encountering? And really, drivers are too lazy to give one bicyclist room on the roadway? I know some people out here can't drive unless the roads mimic Metcalf, but this is a bit inane.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:49 AM

3,661 posts, read 1,770,490 times
Quote:
Think what happens in almost every case where a bicycle and a car collide.

That's why motorists carry liability insurance and bicyclists don't. It's also why bicyclists wear helmets and motorists don't.

That scratch on your car door won't cost much to fix. The bicyclist's bones, or his or her life, on the other hand...

Wait, did I say "think"? Seems to me that someone here doesn't. Or, to be charitable, has that overweening sense of entitlement that gets those of us who don't get behind the wheel of a car to go everywhere pissed.

(FTR, I have a driver's license and have ever since I turned 16, back in KC. I know it's a rite of passage there still, as it is in most of the rest of the country. But I haven't owned a car since I left college, and thanks to car rental and car sharing, I don't feel disadvantaged. There are things I can do on the bus or train that I can't do while driving, and I value the ability to do those things.)

Old 03-23-2017, 04:52 AM

3,661 posts, read 1,770,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
KC has to be one of the least biked cities in the entire country. Where are all these bicyclists you're encountering? And really, drivers are too lazy to give one bicyclist room on the roadway? I know some people out here can't drive unless the roads mimic Metcalf, but this is a bit inane.
I think there's a typo in your last sentence: you seem to have left an "s" out of that last word.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:16 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA650 View Post
KC has to be one of the least biked cities in the entire country.
Yep. And it's not even close.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:25 AM

1,298 posts, read 983,604 times
Quote:
I've yet to meet a person who is happy about bike lanes in the streets.
Because those people are avoiding you.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:21 AM

20,170 posts, read 34,488,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yep. And it's not even close.
That is also partly why it is one of the most obese metro areas in the US. Adding more bike lanes should always be a priority, especially when improving an existing road, or doing road construction.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:26 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,146,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is also partly why it is one of the most obese metro areas in the US.
Except it's not. It's about smack dab in the middle.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:08 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,488,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPonteKC View Post
Except it's not. It's about smack dab in the middle.
Shifting metrics aside (all trending worse or holding steady with time), the percentage of obesity and overweight populace is a healthcare disaster in the US. Adding bike lanes will only move things in the right direction by making active lifestyles a priority as an investment for the metro area.

Rankings, both in the top 10 in percentage terms for adult obesity: http://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/
#7 Kansas
#10 Missouri

Old 03-24-2017, 07:15 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is also partly why it is one of the most obese metro areas in the US. Adding more bike lanes should always be a priority, especially when improving an existing road, or doing road construction.
People always say that, and when I went to California I was surprised that I saw just as many obese people there as I do in KC, despite the stereotypes. I expected everyone in California to be thin and beautiful. They're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or