U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 06:57 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Let's try looking at the criteria the poster actually gave:

All of those criteria match the city, not Johnson County.

There are plenty of people 50 and older living Downtown and the Plaza. Empty nesters are one of the largest demographics for downtown residents.

I would suggest looking at the Power and Light Building - the historic tower. It is made very solidly out of concrete, so I assume it would be great. It looks like it has great amenities, too.

On the Plaza, I would look at some buildings that are condos, but also have some units for rent by the owners. Maybe a building like the Hemingway could have something that would be a good fit.
As I said, it makes more sense given the OTHER things and taking it in totality (instead of conveniently leaving out the fact that she is working in Olathe and wants quiet and is not into partying), for her to LIVE closer to work and drive to the Plaza/downtown when she wants to visit there. She could rent a very nice HOUSE in Johnson County (solving any noise problem) for $2500. I think once she is here she will see that what I say is true.

Last edited by luzianne; 03-08-2017 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 08:04 PM

5,468 posts, read 5,771,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
As I said, it makes more sense given the OTHER things and taking it in totality (instead of conveniently leaving out the fact that she is working in Olathe and wants quiet and is not into partying), for her to LIVE closer to work and drive to the Plaza/downtown when she wants to visit there. She could rent a very nice HOUSE in Johnson County (solving any noise problem) for $2500. I think once she is here she will see that what I say is true.
Yeah, but she specifically stated she wants an apartment. If she were looking for a house I would agree on Johnson County. There is more to downtown than P&L with the 20s partying scene, her demographics are there as well.

At $2500 a month in KC and wanting a high rise apartment, there really isn't any better option than the city, and even then, downtown would be the only area I would recommend for her. Not the Plaza or anywhere else.

The OP can get a very nice place on that budget downtown. I'm thinking a very large loft apartment with fully loaded amenities and parking space included. And it will be very, very quiet on the top floor with commanding views of the Kansas City area.

The only drawback is that Olathe is way out there and traffic will be an issue. 30 minutes is probably not going to happen from downtown to Olathe. But I don't think it should take much more than 45 minutes in rush hour depending where in Olathe she's working.

If I had that budget and wanted high rise living, I would totally deal with the traffic to live downtown because there's no comparison in Johnson County at that price point.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yeah, but she specifically stated she wants an apartment. If she were looking for a house I would agree on Johnson County. There is more to downtown than P&L with the 20s partying scene, her demographics are there as well.

At $2500 a month in KC and wanting a high rise apartment, there really isn't any better option than the city, and even then, downtown would be the only area I would recommend for her. Not the Plaza or anywhere else.

The OP can get a very nice place on that budget downtown. I'm thinking a very large loft apartment with fully loaded amenities and parking space included. And it will be very, very quiet on the top floor with commanding views of the Kansas City area.

The only drawback is that Olathe is way out there and traffic will be an issue. 30 minutes is probably not going to happen from downtown to Olathe. But I don't think it should take much more than 45 minutes in rush hour depending where in Olathe she's working.

If I had that budget and wanted high rise living, I would totally deal with the traffic to live downtown because there's no comparison in Johnson County at that price point.
She says "I prefer an apartment to learn the area" - which to me means she wants to rent instead of buy to begin with so she knows what area she prefers before she buys. I could be wrong.

I still say that once the OP comes and sees the area for herself, she will decide that living in Olathe or southern Johnson County makes more sense than living downtown.

If I had that budget and wanted quiet living, I would live in southern Johnson County because nothing downtown compares to the quiet and low crime of Johnson County at ANY price point.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
She says "I prefer an apartment to learn the area" - which to me means she wants to rent instead of buy to begin with so she knows what area she prefers before she buys. I could be wrong.

I still say that once the OP comes and sees the area for herself, she will decide that living in Olathe or southern Johnson County makes more sense than living downtown.

If I had that budget and wanted quiet living, I would live in southern Johnson County because nothing downtown compares to the quiet and low crime of Johnson County at ANY price point.
Again, if she were looking for a house, I would agree on Johnson County. But according to the post, she wants a high rise. What it comes down to is whether she is wanting urban or suburban living, but living in an apartment more than 5 stories doesn't sound particularly suburban to me, and she's just not going to find an urban lifestyle in Johnson County. She might find an apartment or condo higher than five stories in JoCo but again, she would still be passing up a lot of amenities that her budget can afford her.

Crime isn't an issue in the downtown neighborhoods west of Troost and she would have no reason to venture east. I imagine with that budget she would be many stories up in a posh apartment building, probably with a doorman, with her vehicle safe and sound in a gated parking garage. I can't imagine safety being an issue for her if she lived downtown. As a suburbanite myself, I've spent plenty of time walking through downtown from the River Market to the Crossroads and I've never felt unsafe.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 PM

5,496 posts, read 5,153,156 times
The Mrs. and I went to see The Drive-By Truckers in Sept. 2016 and we didn't feel unsafe walking around outside the Crossroads concert venue at all. I am tending towards a downtown tower, too, for the OP. Sounds like a great opportunity for her.

We took a look at a small house to purchase today in Olathe. I think we could be comfortable living there. I don't know if we'll actually pursue it or not - I seemed to be more excited about the house than my wife was.

But the OP should get what she needs from this thread and she'll have to make up her own mind on it.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Again, if she were looking for a house, I would agree on Johnson County. But according to the post, she wants a high rise. What it comes down to is whether she is wanting urban or suburban living, but living in an apartment more than 5 stories doesn't sound particularly suburban to me, and she's just not going to find an urban lifestyle in Johnson County. She might find an apartment or condo higher than five stories in JoCo but again, she would still be passing up a lot of amenities that her budget can afford her.

Crime isn't an issue in the downtown neighborhoods west of Troost and she would have no reason to venture east. I imagine with that budget she would be many stories up in a posh apartment building, probably with a doorman, with her vehicle safe and sound in a gated parking garage. I can't imagine safety being an issue for her if she lived downtown. As a suburbanite myself, I've spent plenty of time walking through downtown from the River Market to the Crossroads and I've never felt unsafe.
As I said, when she gets here she will see what the logistics are living downtown/working in Olathe. And she will see how nice southern Johnson County is. And she will make her own decision.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
As I said, when she gets here she will see what the logistics are living downtown/working in Olathe. And she will see how nice southern Johnson County is. And she will make her own decision.
I'm definitely on board with getting a feel for the area and if she thinks that southern JoCo can give her what she wants/needs then it would be a good fit. I spend a LOT of time in Johnson County and I'm not going to bash it by any means, I'm just going off of the original post.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:22 PM

3,625 posts, read 6,756,846 times
Someone upthread mentioned an easier reverse commute downtown to JoCo. Don't think that's really true anymore. I-35 from Johnson Drive to the Overland Parkway can get pretty jammed up in the a.m.

I've been taking a little break from C-D the past few months. Happy to see everything the same on the KC board.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:17 AM

1,298 posts, read 982,763 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Someone upthread mentioned an easier reverse commute downtown to JoCo. Don't think that's really true anymore. I-35 from Johnson Drive to the Overland Parkway can get pretty jammed up in the a.m.

It's definitely under 30 minutes from downtown to Olathe Medical Center (if that's where she's working) and since she said she'll have "long shifts" that probably means she won't be in rush hour traffic very often. Perhaps only coincidentally.

And I mentioned the "reverse commute" when imagining her driving at rush hour. But given her likely off-beat shifts, I think it's neither here nor there. Hopefully she won't have to drive at all during rush hour, and it's a moot point.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
It's definitely under 30 minutes from downtown to Olathe Medical Center (if that's where she's working) and since she said she'll have "long shifts" that probably means she won't be in rush hour traffic very often. Perhaps only coincidentally.

And I mentioned the "reverse commute" when imagining her driving at rush hour. But given her likely off-beat shifts, I think it's neither here nor there. Hopefully she won't have to drive at all during rush hour, and it's a moot point.
I guess you're right. I had a family friend who I visited in Olathe near I-35 and Santa Fe and it normally took me at least 35 minutes from the Plaza with no traffic. But I guess it would be quicker from downtown even though it's further north since you can easily hop on I-35 and you don't have to take Shawnee Mission Parkway like you do from the Plaza. Shawnee Mission Parkway is just slow no matter how you slice it with all the stoplights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or