U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:29 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
The OP is in her 50s and wants quiet and, I would assume, low crime. She is working in Olathe. I bet if/when she visits the area, she will quickly realize that Johnson County is where she wants to be, not urban KC on the Missouri side.
Good lord. Do you even know what demographic is moving into all these urban high rise luxury apartment towers all across the country? Trust me, it's not people right out of college with 75k in school loans and a 40k a year job. The OP might find something they like in the suburbs, but the OP is also the demographic that is driving most of the luxury urban housing development, so they could very easily like living in the city as well. Living in a luxury high rise is often much quieter, safer etc than the rat race of living in the suburbs. Your home is totally secure, your parking is secure you might even have a door man. You have almost no traffic because everybody has driven off to the suburbs where they will continue to drive around all weekend till they come back to the city on Monday morning, meanwhile, the city is very quiet. You can go out and walk around or walk outside to a local pocket park or step out on your balcony where it's even quieter. Any city is like this, even very large cities. Residential districts of high rise towers are much quieter than 135th and Metcalf.

Have you ever even been in a luxury high rise tower? Likely not since Kansas doesn't have any. Go stand on a street in the densest part of the Plaza such as 48th St where you are surrounded by residential towers. It doesn't get much more peaceful and quiet than that. Much different than some huge apartment complex on a six lane street next to strip malls off I-435.

OP look at the burbs and the city. Pick the one you like. The drive to Olathe from Downtown KCMO would rarely exceed 30 minutes in KC's "rush hour".

Last edited by kcmo; 03-13-2017 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee1914 View Post
just an update. I called rhe folks at Power & Light apts and One Light. I was told that the higher floor units in both buildings were fully booked and leases renewed. Nothing was available. I will keep looking but downtown must be doing very well for such demand. In lieu of the prices charged comparable to DC rates, I can only assume that these are not students but working professionals. I am considering hiring a realtor/rental company pro to advise on individually owned apt units for rent. If you have any suggestions or experience in this regard, I would appreciate the advice.
Downtown KCMO is blowing up right now. There are literally thousands of units under construction, mostly in low rise structures (under ten stories) and renovated office towers. New high rises are starting to come now that there are no more underused office buildings to convert.

I think you will find out that urban apartments are in very high demand in KCMO right now, especially in the taller buildings, but don't overlook some of the mid and low rises, you might find something you really like. There are tons of options, but if you want tall, here are some options...

One Light (you already contacted)

Power and Light (you already contacted)

Commerce Tower
0, 1, 2 Bedroom Apartments for Rent in Kansas City, MO | Commerce Tower in Kansas City, MO

Sky on Main
Kansas City Apartments | SKY on Main Luxury Apartments

909 Walnut
909 Walnut | Luxury Apartment Living in an Historic Downtown KC Highrise

The following are condo towers but they do occasionally have rentals or subleases

Wallstreet Tower
Kansas City WALLSTREET TOWER

One Park Place
One Park Place - Spacious Luxury Downtown Condos of Kansas City

San Fransisco Tower
San Francisco Tower Condos for Sale and Condos for Rent in Kansas City

Sulgrave and Regency Towers
Sulgrave Regency Condos of Kansas City | 121 W 48th St

Alameda Tower
Alameda Condos of Kansas City | 400 W 49th Ter

Townsend Place
https://www.apartments.com/townsend-...ty-mo/jt4psq5/

4646 Broadway
4646 Broadway Lofts of Kansas City | 4646 Broadway St.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-13-2017 at 09:48 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 01:47 AM

5,496 posts, read 5,153,156 times
Yeah, I'm digging the tower thing for her, too. Great idea, really!

Old 03-14-2017, 04:55 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,605,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Good lord. Do you even know what demographic is moving into all these urban high rise luxury apartment towers all across the country? Trust me, it's not people right out of college with 75k in school loans and a 40k a year job. The OP might find something they like in the suburbs, but the OP is also the demographic that is driving most of the luxury urban housing development, so they could very easily like living in the city as well. Living in a luxury high rise is often much quieter, safer etc than the rat race of living in the suburbs. Your home is totally secure, your parking is secure you might even have a door man. You have almost no traffic because everybody has driven off to the suburbs where they will continue to drive around all weekend till they come back to the city on Monday morning, meanwhile, the city is very quiet. You can go out and walk around or walk outside to a local pocket park or step out on your balcony where it's even quieter. Any city is like this, even very large cities. Residential districts of high rise towers are much quieter than 135th and Metcalf.

Have you ever even been in a luxury high rise tower? Likely not since Kansas doesn't have any. Go stand on a street in the densest part of the Plaza such as 48th St where you are surrounded by residential towers. It doesn't get much more peaceful and quiet than that. Much different than some huge apartment complex on a six lane street next to strip malls off I-435.

OP look at the burbs and the city. Pick the one you like. The drive to Olathe from Downtown KCMO would rarely exceed 30 minutes in KC's "rush hour".
Yeah, I had a friend who lived in one of those luxury high rises on the Plaza. They don't impress me in the least. The "rat race" to me is living like rats with everyone on top of each other. No, thank you!

I'd be interested in seeing in a couple of years what the OP thinks about the whole living in urban KC and working in Olathe thing.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:27 AM

1,298 posts, read 982,763 times
Quote:
Yeah, I had a friend who lived in one of those luxury high rises on the Plaza. They don't impress me in the least.
We know.

The real question is, did your friend like it?

Old 03-15-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
We know.

The real question is, did your friend like it?
No, she really didn't. She moved after a couple of years to the suburbs on the Missouri side.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:06 PM

257 posts, read 199,361 times
I think plaza area, etc., is a great idea if you want to be in a high rise. I have a colleague who lives in downtown KC and his rent is around the OPs budget (for a two bedroom). I live in JoCo, but I do think living in downtown KC, especially if you are used to and like a more urban setting, makes the transition to the area easier than living out in a cookie cutter subdivision in a place like Olathe.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
No, she really didn't. She moved after a couple of years to the suburbs on the Missouri side.

Of course! I seriously doubt rwiksell would have expected a different response from you. Most people that buy homes in urban highrises don’t like where they live and can’t wait to move to the suburbs. Somebody needs to let Cordish know about this very important research information while they have a chance to change their buildings from residential an offices. We should also start an organized grass roots effort to free all of the people that are currently trapped in urban apartments and condos. We should also try to better inform people waiting for new units or looking for urban housing that they do not know what they are doing and they will hate it and they won’t be safe and will have no parking. Free the city dwellers!

Old 03-15-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Of course! I seriously doubt rwiksell would have expected a different response from you. Most people that buy homes in urban highrises don’t like where they live and can’t wait to move to the suburbs. Somebody needs to let Cordish know about this very important research information while they have a chance to change their buildings from residential an offices. We should also start an organized grass roots effort to free all of the people that are currently trapped in urban apartments and condos. We should also try to better inform people waiting for new units or looking for urban housing that they do not know what they are doing and they will hate it and they won’t be safe and will have no parking. Free the city dwellers!
I guess I should have lied and said she loved it and stayed there, so my response would fit your idea of how it should be. Obviously, not everyone loves urban highrises. Sorry to disappoint you.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:23 PM

105 posts, read 68,774 times
Geez, 8 days later you guys are still bickering back and forth about city living vs suburban living. It sounds to me like the OP made her decision days ago and she chose the city... You know, the entire point of this thread. I'm just glad that she chose to move to the metro and is looking to add to our tax base and population.

Can we stop with the bickering because we are embarrassing ourselves in front of our new resident?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or