U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Thank you. This is the points I was trying to make.
Might want to try a little harder.

westender did a really nice job of posting a true "nonpartisan comment" You did not and honestly neither did I, but my post was mostly in response to yours.

Had your post been worded like westender's, I don't think anybody would have gave it a second thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 12:19 AM

12,608 posts, read 14,621,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Might want to try a little harder.

westender did a really nice job of posting a true "nonpartisan comment" You did not and honestly neither did I, but my post was mostly in response to yours.

Had your post been worded like westender's, I don't think anybody would have gave it a second thought.
Um, mine wasn't worded that differently.

You're going to start trolling again?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:57 AM

7,663 posts, read 5,645,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Um, mine wasn't worded that differently.

You're going to start trolling again?
Only in the protected cocoon that is the KC forum would your words be considered anything but measured and tactful. Because if this discussion were held around a real-world table in a cafe among mature, intelligent adults, the least opinionated in the group would tell you that no one in their right mind would work in Olathe and live in a downtown KC or Plaza high-rise.

The big difference between your posts and most others is that you're not blinded by sociopolitical ideology. You are providing a real service to the OP, giving her the best advice and trying your best to do her a favor.

OP, luzianne's advice is the best there is in the KC forum. This can't be overstated.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:26 AM

5,500 posts, read 5,163,219 times
I have started ta see the wisdom in luzianne's posts on this thread as well. I have been jaded by the fact that I think it would be cool ta be in a KC tower - enjoying the view from above. Nice. But the OP will work in Olathe, that really changes things for her. She needs ta be down to the south a bit more in Jo-Co.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:27 AM

1,298 posts, read 984,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Only in the protected cocoon that is the KC forum would your words be considered anything but measured and tactful. Because if this discussion were held around a real-world table in a cafe among mature, intelligent adults, the least opinionated in the group would tell you that no one in their right mind would work in Olathe and live in a downtown KC or Plaza high-rise.

The big difference between your posts and most others is that you're not blinded by sociopolitical ideology. You are providing a real service to the OP, giving her the best advice and trying your best to do her a favor.

OP, luzianne's advice is the best there is in the KC forum. This can't be overstated.
CrownVic and luzianne should get a room.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:03 AM

Ahh...those of us in the Big Tactical Room here have ta admit we made a mistake now and then, right?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Ahh...those of us in the Big Tactical Room here have ta admit we made a mistake now and then, right?
Speak for yourself. While I can see why a person would want live close to work, people rank different parts of their life in different ways. Some people might value a shorter commute more than where they live, others will put up with a longer commute to live someplace that better fits their lifestyle.

The commute pattern here around DC/Baltimore proves that. There are two kinds of people in this situation. I know people commute from Downtown Baltimore (not just central DC) to DC's suburbs. These can be very long commute, but people love where they live. I live in Annapolis, an amazing historic and charming city on the bay. The quality of life I enjoy in the Annapolis area is well worth my 60-90 minute commute. I chose Annapolis because it's not just a run of the mill suburb. I get to go home to a beautiful charming area every day with a vibrant downtown. On the weekends, I'm already there. We needed suburbia do to lower cost and schools (for now), so this was our best option.

At the same time, there are people that would never do a commute longer than 20 minutes, even in DC and will pay a premium to live close to work or close to a metro rail station so they can easily commute.

This thread is about giving the OP information based on their interest. That information would be BOTH areas (suburban areas around their work along with urban areas that are further away but "might" be worth the commute to the OP).

Old 03-17-2017, 10:06 AM

25 posts, read 74,544 times
I find it funny that people would say that nobody in their right mind would live Downtown and drive to Olathe to work.

What about those crazy people that live in Olathe and commute to Downtown to work?

As someone who has lived in six different lofts in the River Market, I can say that while there may be more people who are in their late 20's to 30's, there are more then enough who are in their 40's, 50's and up. The wife and I have said many times that as soon as the kids are out of the house, we could easily see ourselves living Downtown again.

In my opinion, there is nothing more enjoyable then not needing to drive everywhere anytime we want to venture out of the house.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaeus View Post
I find it funny that people would say that nobody in their right mind would live Downtown and drive to Olathe to work.

What about those crazy people that live in Olathe and commute to Downtown to work?

As someone who has lived in six different lofts in the River Market, I can say that while there may be more people who are in their late 20's to 30's, there are more then enough who are in their 40's, 50's and up. The wife and I have said many times that as soon as the kids are out of the house, we could easily see ourselves living Downtown again.

In my opinion, there is nothing more enjoyable then not needing to drive everywhere anytime we want to venture out of the house.
Yea, I don't get it. The vast majority of people in any metro area have a 20-40 minute commute. It's just that most of them commute from the suburbs to the city or from one suburb to another. Why is commuting from the city to a suburb any different? Especially when most of the time, such a commute is actually easier and less congested that a more traditional suburb to city commute or suburb to suburb commute.

Tens of thousands of people commute from areas like Eastern Jackson County to Southern Johnson County. Liberty to Leawood, Olathe or Blue Springs to Downtown going WITH most of the traffic.

But Downtown to Olathe is some extreme commute. For every person that is commuting from downtown to Olathe in 20 minutes, there are probably 100 people commuting from Olathe to Downtown in 30-40 minutes in heavy traffic.

The difference is, the downtown dweller actually has an easier commute than most suburbanites and when the downtown dweller is home, they have a "choice" of having a car free lifestyle or at least a lifestyle that does not revolve around driving everywhere for at least a portion of their lives.

Bizarre.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM

I don't see any commute in the KC area as being all that much. The distances out to the "country" areas like Olathe aren't really that far. It really is totally up to the OP. I didn't imply that luzianne's idea (that I eventually decided was the best one, if it was me in the driver's seat ta do) was the only way or the right way. Just the easiest one for the OP ta do in her life-work situation.

It will be the OP's decision ta make. And ours ta continue ta talk about in December on here. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or