U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 03:48 PM

583 posts, read 740,663 times

Advertisements

This ain't bickering. You should see some of the forums I frequent.

Anyway, personally, I would recommend being as close to work as possible. OP mentions she doesn't mind a commute but also says she is in her 50's. I won't categorize her as old and feebled but let's face it, as we age, we tend to break down. Should physical problems flare up, it would be nice to avoid a long, sometimes congested commute and be a hop, skip and jump to work.

I live in Johnson County, about a mile from I-35 and southbound traffic is often very backed up from 4-6 p.m. starting from about Shawnee Mission Parkway going south. I don't know if that would be her commute timeframe but, if so, it can be a hassle.

Her main thing seems to be getting a good night's rest and quiet. No reason she has to be downtown to get that, concrete or no concrete. She can always just visit a museum or concert and return home easily enough. Doesn't have to live right by it.

As for KCMO's earnings tax, best to avoid any involvement in their city government if you can avoid it. It's not the 1%, it's that they are complete idiots. I used to live in northland and they were constantly hassling me about not filing my earnings taxes. Of course I did every year without fail but they could never get anything right. They wanted documentation so I had to dig my old records out, make copies and send it all in. I'm talking about tax returns several years old and they did it several times. I'd never live in a KCMO address again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 04:33 PM

5,501 posts, read 5,170,571 times
mandarin - are you talking about Kansas City, MO? Earnings taxes? As in City of Kansas City income tax? Or a business owner's tax for someone owning a business in the City of Kansas City? I don't know why a city municipality would be contacting you to verify that you paid your taxes at all. Sounds like their government office didn't know what they were doing if, as you say, you were faithfully always paying your taxes by the date it was due.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 5,176 times
Many thanks to all who responded especially KCMO for the detailed listings. I will be housed in One Light as a coorporate relo for a few months until a top floor or penthouse opens up. I used KCMO's list as a guide but there is a waiting list for penthouse apartments downtown. I am hoping something will open up soon. Many thanks again for the help provided.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 AM

677 posts, read 1,147,494 times
Glad to hear you found a place. Thanks for the update - I always like to hear where people end up (most people don't check back in).

I do remember hearing that the penthouse units were the highest demand units in One Light, so they made two floors of "penthouse" units in both One and Two Light. I hope something opens up for you soon.

Welcome to KC. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:50 PM

473 posts, read 284,735 times
Olathe: Along Mur-len or 127th is nice area and cheaper. East side of interstate is only choice I would pick alone & female...Skip Torrie's Chase on 139th/Mur-Len, the owner let the maintenance get so bad, is holes in roof/bad stairs and not show the apartment until you have U-haul in parking lot there...Deerfield Apt looked nice when I was viewing them...Gardner and Spring Hill will have some properties with little bull s--- from Section 8 dealing drugs out of it...though Gardner is kind of noisy now that railroad traffic increased to a railyard just south of city visible from I-35. Expect some drug sales activity everywhere else. Is acceptable little business in KC to run some drug dealing and cops usually ignore it.

Lees Summit or Parkville are nice on MO side.

Leavenworth and Independence have big groups of kids threatening adults called gang stalking. Never answer in confrontational way if you ever see this. Just means you cannot live there safely. Is so bad, military leave area after seeing this they get mistreated so badly if answer defensively.

Other suggestion to REALLY know the area...Take a walk around neighborhood before you view apartments and do this at busy time of day when people are home. If anything OFF is said to you, place won't treat you okay...Don't sign a lease before you do this or very expensive to buy your way out.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:13 AM

80 posts, read 69,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post
Olathe: Along Mur-len or 127th is nice area and cheaper. East side of interstate is only choice I would pick alone & female...Skip Torrie's Chase on 139th/Mur-Len, the owner let the maintenance get so bad, is holes in roof/bad stairs and not show the apartment until you have U-haul in parking lot there...Deerfield Apt looked nice when I was viewing them...Gardner and Spring Hill will have some properties with little bull s--- from Section 8 dealing drugs out of it...though Gardner is kind of noisy now that railroad traffic increased to a railyard just south of city visible from I-35. Expect some drug sales activity everywhere else. Is acceptable little business in KC to run some drug dealing and cops usually ignore it.

Lees Summit or Parkville are nice on MO side.

Leavenworth and Independence have big groups of kids threatening adults called gang stalking. Never answer in confrontational way if you ever see this. Just means you cannot live there safely. Is so bad, military leave area after seeing this they get mistreated so badly if answer defensively.

Other suggestion to REALLY know the area...Take a walk around neighborhood before you view apartments and do this at busy time of day when people are home. If anything OFF is said to you, place won't treat you okay...Don't sign a lease before you do this or very expensive to buy your way out.
OP has mentioned that he has chosen to stay at OneLight, this advice, although with value, is a bit too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or